Past #21: Corey Jones - drafted w/ #60 in '00 ND - retired during '10 season - thanks CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Although there may be some similarities in the way they play, the key difference is 5-7 cms in height. Corey is a pinchhitter up forward and has potential to do jobs in the middle as he showed last season.

Tarrant, although a little undersized, is a strong key position forward, who almost singlehandedly beat us a week ago.

This post qualifies as the Milne "he plays on" post of the week. As handy as CJ is, he hasn't achieved jack yet and doesn't even play the same position as Tarrant. Appreciate your enthusiasm but a bit of perspective would be great.

Wrath

I wouldn't go so far to say that CJ will be better than CT (I hate talking about will be's - it is very subjective and usually a total load of rubbish). I have however often thought that they are very similar players - both left foorters, very strong marks, and smart footballers. If CJ keeps progressing at the rate he is, he will be a very handy footballer for a long time to come...

i know that Drew Petrie is flavour of the month to join Watt at Port but did Jones actually play on the weekend and if he did how come he's not getting the same abuse as Petrie?

Because Jones has been very good apart from the last 3 games where as Petrie has been down for a long time.

I think Jones has more potential than Petrie but was sadly beaten yesterday while Petrie just isn;t the star some people think. Even when people thought he was playing well, i felt he just happened to be in the right place at the right time occasionally. Now even when he gets it he stuffs up. I reckon he tries his guts out but just has'nt got the goods.

daggles said:
i know that Drew Petrie is flavour of the month to join Watt at Port but did Jones actually play on the weekend and if he did how come he's not getting the same abuse as Petrie?
Silly question.

Jones has been one of our best this season - one of many to drop off in the losses however.

Petrie - Struggling for the last year. Doesn't deserve a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jones has looked dangerous all year and makes opposition coaches think alot about who to put on him. because he can easily slip under the radar and hurt teams...

i think no one is rating drew anymore. even if he happens to mark in the forward 50, you know he will do his best to miss. needs to completely start from scratch with his kicking. so frustrating.... no where near afl level.
i dont know if it is purely a confidence thing or not.
very sad watching him play nowadays... 2 years ago got us all excited.
did he peak early or is he going to explode again!!!!

glen dean said:
jones has looked dangerous all year and makes opposition coaches think alot about who to put on him. because he can easily slip under the radar and hurt teams...

i think no one is rating drew anymore. even if he happens to mark in the forward 50, you know he will do his best to miss. needs to completely start from scratch with his kicking. so frustrating.... no where near afl level.
i dont know if it is purely a confidence thing or not.
very sad watching him play nowadays... 2 years ago got us all excited.
did he peak early or is he going to explode again!!!!
Spot on!

Petrie is doing himself no favours whatsoever. 2 years ago he was looking the goods to become a young star. Now, there is no faith among the avid supporters, despite how much he is loved by everyone as a person. Unfortunately, he will not make it at the kangaroos, would love to see him traded but surely his trade value his dropped significantly.

Woops... this is a Corey Jones thread, ah well

Both are suffering from the same thing IMO: neither are A Graders, yet they are being expected to play the roles of A Graders.

Jones has lots to like but needs quality around him to be his best. At the moment he is being asked to be that to the younger blokes around him. At best he could be what Andrew Embley is to West Coast, but unfortunately he doesnt have Judd, Cousins, Fletcher and Kerr around him so will always struggle to be that effective. His skill level and decison making are still a bit iffy, but you cannot knock the bloke's work ethic or willingness to get into contests.

Drew on the other hand has too many limitations to be a top line key forward or gun ruckman. His skill level is ordinary, decision making lacking and with such shot confidence that he has at the moment, all of his positive attributes are crumbling to bits. Doesnt look physically right to me either. But i think he'll never be more than support cast to better talls.

I agree with Carlos, Jones benefitted by having the second string small defender on him when Junior was around, he is getting the better one when Grant is not up forward and he is contributing very little in terms of score on the board and that is what we need.

He should probably play a midfield role i think, perhaps on the wing and going forward he could hurt the opposition. If he has to be a focal with the number 1 small or medium defender on him then we are cactus.

He isn't helped by having a poor forward structure. We have a leading FF, leading CHF, leading pocket players, leading flankers and nobody else that can take a contested mark up forward consistantly so all the room there is to lead to is occupied with leads from other players and in my opinion they are all getting in eachothers way. The only room is outside 50 and that where Thompson is forced to go to find some space.

If we had a tall FF that stays in front of goal then he wouldn't drag his man to contests and allow him to fill holes or contest. Corey will only ever give us real value if he we go to him up forward say 15% of the time. He is good for 3 or maybe even 4 goals when we go to him a couple of times a quarter but if he is a focal point we will be lucky to get anything out of him because he will be covered.

He is a decent player but he is not going to fill the void left by Motlop.

If we are going to go forwards from here we pretty much need to say permanently have either Hale, Petrie or McIntotsh at FF and not to move more than 20m out of goal. Our players need a target there, we need someone who will contest there and it will create more room in the forward line for the others to lead into. I'd play Sav out of the pocket that suits his kicking and let him go wide and open up some more space inside 50. We are just too congested and it is hurting guys like Grant and Jones that are not big at contested marking.

We need all of our middle players helping out the top players otherwise we are going to hang around the middle ground for ever. it looks as thoughwe are struggling to get the right balance in our team. A player that we will miss is grima, i am not sure what everyone thinks of him but seeing him play those first few games his kicking was pretty good and he had good balance and didnt seem to be overarwed by the occasion.

Looking forward to Junior coming back.

Re: A Grader Jones

Tas, can't believe you mention Drew as one of the FF options. :confused: He doesn't give us much value there/anywhere. Every week I go to the game with a hint of a miracle that Drew can have a purple patch just to get something going but it ain't gonna happen >>> why ? >> Carlos has underlined that quite well. Great post. Agree very much on the CJ >> A Graders theory. Great post.

I think i'm just expecting more out of Jones where i've never really expected anything out of Petrie. I think most people overrated what Petrie did 2 years ago. He just happened to be in the right spot a few times and kicked a few goals, nothing special. Now, i think his work rate is great, he just doesn't have the natural gifts of the better players. I can't see where he can improve. I hope he proves me wrong.

Who did he kick that great goal against early last year, when he was tackled in the pocket and threw it on the boot as he was being slung around?
I think it was Adelaide, but it could have been Carlton.
Help appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #21: Corey Jones - drafted w/ #60 in '00 ND - retired during '10 season - thanks CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back