AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be "midfield" coach in name only - probably H20 content provider

The disrespect in this thread is getting laid on pretty thick.

Bloke’s body is in absolute ruins (probably because our club medico’s are shit and haven’t managed him well) and he’s still accumulating footy and getting himself in good positions purely off of supreme reading the play and working harder than everyone else on the ground and we want to tie a brick to his ankle and dump him in the Hudson like some kind of used up streetwalker off Law and Order.

The disrespect in this thread is getting laid on pretty thick.

Bloke’s body is in absolute ruins (probably because our club medico’s are s**t and haven’t managed him well) and he’s still accumulating footy and getting himself in good positions purely off of supreme reading the play and working harder than everyone else on the ground and we want to tie a brick to his ankle and dump him in the Hudson like some kind of used up streetwalker off Law and Order.
He's the whipping boy to Facebook proportions.

Just give him the 2 years.
He's been in our best consistently in the back half of this year.
His body is holding up well. It not like he has Devons shot knees.
He's only just turned 30.
He's not keeping anybody better out of the side.
Absolutely no reason not to.

I see a lot of Heppell hate. But there is no stats or evidence to substantiate it. It seems like it's just "cos".

There's multiple reasons not to give him two years - the game against GWS (which admittedly was his worst for the year) shows where he's at. He's still got the footy mind, but his body's shot and can't keep up. He kept D'Ambrosio out of the side last week.

He's been unreal and has given his all - and has probably been an underrated Captain given everything he's had to go through.

But as a footy club, you can't just give a bloke two years because you like him.

The game caught up to him a little quicker than probably what most thought, especially considering his form last year was pretty good. But he's absolutely finished now. We need to be ruthless.

There's multiple reasons not to give him two years - the game against GWS (which admittedly was his worst for the year) shows where he's at. He's still got the footy mind, but his body's shot and can't keep up. He kept D'Ambrosio out of the side last week.

He's been unreal and has given his all - and has probably been an underrated Captain given everything he's had to go through.

But as a footy club, you can't just give a bloke two years because you like him.

The game caught up to him a little quicker than probably what most thought, especially considering his form last year was pretty good. But he's absolutely finished now. We need to be ruthless.
Huh? Heppell plays on a wing, Mass off half back. They aren't competing for the same spot

Huh? Heppell plays on a wing, Mass off half back. They aren't competing for the same spot

You can shuffle the magnets around. It looks like Cutler's about to come in for Snelling - couldn't be more opposite players.

Maybe Mass goes back and McGrath goes up to a wing.

My point was more that in 2023, I'd rather see a kid/capable player out there as opposed to Heppell - I hate the idea of him getting another contract because he's a good bloke. I still don't understand the people suggesting there's a lot of hate for him. He's the most universally loved Essendon player (probably aside from Tippa) I can recall in recent memory. Age has just hit him quicker than what some (myself included) thought it would.

You can shuffle the magnets around. It looks like Cutler's about to come in for Snelling - couldn't be more opposite players.

Maybe Mass goes back and McGrath goes up to a wing.

My point was more that in 2023, I'd rather see a kid/capable player out there as opposed to Heppell - I hate the idea of him getting another contract because he's a good bloke. I still don't understand the people suggesting there's a lot of hate for him. He's the most universally loved Essendon player (probably aside from Tippa) I can recall in recent memory. Age has just hit him quicker than what some (myself included) thought it would.
I'd say the final bench will be Caldwell, Hobbs, Ridley and Langford honestly. Cutler may play as the sub but that's it.

Think we need to have to think about the lack of experience in this squad.

He is our only 200 game player. It looks like we'll lose about 600 games worth of experience between Hurley, Smith, Walla and Cutler.

This is why I would have zero issue keeping him around.

Think we need to have to think about the lack of experience in this squad.

He is our only 200 game player. It looks like we'll lose about 600 games worth of experience between Hurley, Smith, Walla and Cutler.

This is why I would have zero issue keeping him around.
It's a good point. But realistically, how much of Heppell's experience is actually useful? I don't know if there's anyone out there in the same vein as getting Kelly (or guys like Hodge and Mitchell when they were moved on), but would be better off looking to bring in outside experience from guys who have been exposed to more successful programs and actually have experience in playing and winning in big games?

It's a good point. But realistically, how much of Heppell's experience is actually useful? I don't know if there's anyone out there in the same vein as getting Kelly (or guys like Hodge and Mitchell when they were moved on), but would be better off looking to bring in outside experience from guys who have been exposed to more successful programs and actually have experience in playing and winning in big games?
Travis Boak maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you think his body is shot?
I've seen no indication of that.
He's had no more injuries that anybody else.
He's never been quick, but he's still looking quite agile. Hes getting plenty of the ball, and using it well.

Travis Boak maybe?

Could work. Haven't watched much WCE so I don't know how they are tracking or what their plans are with rebuild/youth movement, but we could maybe look at someone like Gaff or Shuey to come off the bench in what is basically the Heppell role, but with a different background.
Another year of Heppell may just be the simplest solution, but I hope they are looking at options

IMO the best outcome is Dois takes the 1 year offer and then 1 year at a time ongoing. Pass the Captaincy on and have a crack in 2023. Stay a one club player and help see this list through to a consistent finals team (even as borderline 22).

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I'd say the final bench will be Caldwell, Hobbs, Ridley and Langford honestly. Cutler may play as the sub but that's it.

Why do you think his body is shot?
I've seen no indication of that.
He's had no more injuries that anybody else.
He's never been quick, but he's still looking quite agile. Hes getting plenty of the ball, and using it well.

I guess we just disagree there - he's super slow - not just foot speed, but his decision making has really slowed down. He's okay getting cheap stats sideways and backwards, but if he kicks the ball forward it's just about always a turnover. I don't want it to sound like I'm pot-shotting him or selling him short, he's been great for this club both as a player and a leader. I just think his time's up.

Essendon and Gold Coast experiencing “significant change” in Heppell situation

“Now we’ve had a significant change.

“The Gold Coast, perhaps less enthusiastic than they were even 48 hours ago, and now we’ve got Essendon more enthusiastic than they were 48 hours ago.[/B].”[/I]

Absolutely hate this from footy 'journos'.

"Club XY's position has changed, because reasons! Now our blatant lie is back to blatant guessing, you be the judge!"

Dys had been great over a long time but the end is definitely near, can his manager can stop blowing smoke up everybody's ass trying to publicly squeeze another year out of us?

Give him credit for what he's done (I think Hurley is the only other on the list who stuck with us through the doping scandal, so we can almost stop saying that). Pay him slightly overs next year with a bunch of triggers for a second year on minimum chips that he in all likely he won't reach anyway. We've got the cap space to let him go out graciously if his body or form falls apart further next year.

I guess we just disagree there - he's super slow - not just foot speed, but his decision making has really slowed down. He's okay getting cheap stats sideways and backwards, but if he kicks the ball forward it's just about always a turnover. I don't want it to sound like I'm pot-shotting him or selling him short, he's been great for this club both as a player and a leader. I just think his time's up.
That's about all untrue, except the part about us disagreeing.

His numbers are all solid.
Nothing over or underwhelming. But solid in markers like metres gained, turnovers, effective disposals, score assists etc.

Last edited:
So I am watching Zorko tonight as captain and he is in the face of the Saints players. Pushing and shoving. Getting under their skin. When do we see that from our leaders >

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back