AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Hepp is definitely making me look a fool, but I did wonder the past few season's if he'd just be better and more free without the captaincy- which wasn't a knock on him.

Physically thats the best hes moved in 6 years. Looked strong in the contest and was running on top of the ground.
I agree that was the difference for me. He played a good physical game.

**** I was cheering hard when he took that mark in the final 30 seconds.. Iā€™ve knocked Hep Iā€™ll happily eat humble pie today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah we won, should be celebrated, no need to humiliate a guy with humble pie nonsense because a guy took a mark.
Calm down. The mark was one of a few things in the dying moments that won us the game. I am celebrating. Iā€™m not humiliating him at all. Donā€™t be so sensitive

Edit.. maybe I should of added the reason I was cheering is because he dropped a sitter with 12 seconds to go in the 3rd that could of been costly.

Great game from Heppell tonight. A few errors last week were really glaring at the ground so I didn't rate his game as highly as others here, but he was really solid tonight. Nice to see him move the ball on quickly and not hold it up.

Hope Scott gives him rests through the season as needed so he can play to this standard

Anyone have West Australian paywall access to the article about hepps words of wisdom to Oscar Allen re: leadership post match? I noticed them talking for ages and wondered what it was about

Looks like he's been given instruction from the coaches to take the first and easiest option, and it has changed his game. The last couple of matches has consistently kicked short 20m sideways in the back half to a safe option, and quickly without holding up the play. As a result his turnovers have drastically reduced which have seen him labelled (and probably fairly) as a bit of a liability for us.

Can imagine it would have been a difficult conversation for coaches to have with our most senior and experienced player and former captain. 'Dys, we need you to stop being creative and taking risky (or just regular) kicks around the field, your kicking is just not up to it. From now on take the safe and easy option every time like a limited role player.'

Huge respect for him though, obviously has the humility to accept that he has lost a step (or three) and willing to play within his capabilities and play a role for the team. I dare say that is also translating to him playing better across the field. Even for old knackers 'she'll be right mate' it would no doubt have been incredibly deflating to consistently turn the ball over with every second kick after all the hard work of his teammates to win the ball. He looks like he's regained confidence and is contributing in physical contests to a much greater level than he has over the past few years. Good on him, genuinely a best 22 player at the moment.

Hes either too nice with having that chat to oscar a gun young player

Or hes very smart about the future and how that looks to not only Essendon but all clubs. It sounds like he has a deal at Essendon youd imagine in coaching/development ranks though

Hes either too nice with having that chat to oscar a gun young player

Or hes very smart about the future and how that looks to not only Essendon but all clubs. It sounds like he has a deal at Essendon youd imagine in coaching/development ranks though

Not sure what you mean - the game had finished, itā€™s pretty normal for players to exchange a few words after the siren.

The way Hep is playing, he could probably go on another year - heā€™s playing better than he has in the last 3. I thought it was a bit of a cringe for Oscar to start the conversation with an inference that this was Dysons last year.

A piece of advice Iā€™d freely give to Oscar - try not to telegraph your belief that a player will/should retireā€¦

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back