AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Year on year Heppell has lost a yard of pace for the last few seasons and he was never fast to begin with.

People saying he can hang around as depth need to ask themselves whether they're happy to be playing a half back flanker who will likely be slower again next year. Which good clubs have HBFs that are slower than treacle?

He's surprised me with his output this season after a poor start, however it's only a matter of time before his slowing body overtakes his footy smarts. This season body and smarts are almost on parity, I can only see it declining next year.

Not giving him another year would be a big mistake imo. Been a harsh critic of his but you have to reward his form in the back half of the year. Worst case his form drops and we just have a good leader around the club for the young guys

If he's happy to play VFL next year then make him a playing assistant in the vfl. List spots are at a premium.

I think he could valuable depth on a list for another year. Would rather a happy Heppell playing VFL and coming in to cover injuries over a young kid drafted late for another year.

The issue is would Heppell be happy to do that.
At the end of the season we need to cut 3 players from the main list no matter what, this is the list of out of contract players: Heppell, Snelling, Voss, Byran, Jones, Baldwin, Lord, Phillips, AMT, Massimo, BTZ, Parish, Menzie. If Parish and BTZ stay and with the potential of McKay coming in that could be 4 other players from that list gone.

Scott was happy for him to continue as captain if Dyson wanted that, I think he'll get the choice to retire or take an extra year, doubt we tap him on the shoulder, even though that's what we should do.
two schools of thought here

Dees were ruthless with Jones. Stalwart clubman and didn't get a seat as sub for the GF.
Cats are letting a few pick whether they go on next year (does help that some oof them are still AA quality)

I have Tippa and Dys in a special bucket....depending who goes, i'd offer a year.
But if we end up in a pinch for list spots, do you write a year of rebuilding off?

two schools of thought here

Dees were ruthless with Jones. Stalwart clubman and didn't get a seat as sub for the GF.
Cats are letting a few pick whether they go on next year (does help that some oof them are still AA quality)

I have Tippa and Dys in a special bucket....depending who goes, i'd offer a year.
But if we end up in a pinch for list spots, do you write a year of rebuilding off?
If there's a spot on the list for him based on other comings and goings I don't have a problem with him staying under the proviso that an AFL game is far from a guarantee, that he'll likely play a fair chunk of VFL.

If we're creating a spot on the list for him purely because he's Dyson Heppell, former captain and all round good guy, then I have a problem with it.

Very happy for Hep that's he's managed to turn his form around in the back half of the year, and he deserves his spot in the 22 right now based on it. But we should absolutely not offer him another contract based on a few AFL standard games after a diabolical first half of the season, after a pretty diabolical 4+ years. He's also done this before - had an unacceptably bad start to the season, came good late in the year and convinced everyone that he was 'back', then showed up the start of the next year unable to play at anywhere near acceptable AFL standard. Particularly noting how tight our list spaces are at the moment, would be a terrible error by the club if he goes around again next year.

At the end of the season we need to cut 3 players from the main list no matter what, this is the list of out of contract players: Heppell, Snelling, Voss, Byran, Jones, Baldwin, Lord, Phillips, AMT, Massimo, BTZ, Parish, Menzie. If Parish and BTZ stay and with the potential of McKay coming in that could be 4 other players from that list gone.
Not quite correct. Rookie upgrades count as players picked, and we currently have 7 rookies for 4-6 spots. Theoretically we could cut one player, take no draft picks, and we'd be fine.

Obviously they won't do that, but it does give us additional flexiblity. We could also pay out Stewart for his final year.

If he loves the team as much as he says he does, he'd call it at the end of the year.

Hopefully the Hurn and Ziebell calls give him a bit of a hint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still getting kicks but becoming more and more a defensive LIABILITY

Like Daniel Rich he needs the BJ Goddard conversation - "WE WANT TO PLAY SOMEONE ELSE IN YOUR POSITION"

That is all well and good but who do we play in his position?
2h9f3emjh4i31.png

In all seriousness, I'd argue Baldwin deserves a chance, so shift Laverde into Hepps spot. Lav is no slower than Hepps, defends better and is better with his disposal.

Happy to admit I was wrong. He's been servicable this season. Wouldn't mind him getting offered another year (provided we have the list space) as long as he's happy to play 50+% in the VFL and come in as depth with injuries.

Not sure if he'd be interested on not, but i like the idea of VFL captain/coach.

Year on year Heppell has lost a yard of pace for the last few seasons and he was never fast to begin with.

People saying he can hang around as depth need to ask themselves whether they're happy to be playing a half back flanker who will likely be slower again next year. Which good clubs have HBFs that are slower than treacle?

He's surprised me with his output this season after a poor start, however it's only a matter of time before his slowing body overtakes his footy smarts. This season body and smarts are almost on parity, I can only see it declining next year.

Agreed, heā€™s not getting any faster.

That is all well and good but who do we play in his position?

I think we've gotten to a point where you'd try anyone. His turnovers by foot are hurting us - and whilst he's still smart defensively, he's just too old/slow now to put it into practice. His man kicked a couple of goals and he was responsible for at least a couple more.

Monty is the big one for me, but really it could be a number of players in the twos.

Lav down to third tall and Baldwin into the team. Davey off the back flank. Kelly on the wing is just pointless (no fault of his own) - move him back.

Probably plays the easiest role in the team and does it so poorly, but see you next year because your leadership is A+++

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back