AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Stringer did not look to happy with Heppells defense at the end of the first quarter when Hep just jogged up next to DeGoey and then let him lead into the pocket and mark.
Could be a side effect of that concussion he had several months ago. Guarding grass after his kick to a contest comes back at him, expecting Heppell to vacate space in the corridor rather than have to defend himself.

Well then they just aren't true supporters.

Could be a side effect of that concussion he had several months ago. Guarding grass after his kick to a contest comes back at him, expecting Heppell to vacate space in the corridor rather than have to defend himself.

Staggering. In the space of consecutive posts you've managed to suggest a supporter who turns on one player isn't a 'true supporter' yet imply another player has a brain injury because he did something you didn't like. Pathetic.

Grow up!

Well then they just aren't true supporters.
Depends on the definition on "turning on him".
Right now, I think of him as a club stalwart, who captained us through an incredibly tough time, one of the best first years I ever saw a player have.
However my patience is waning, he was poor last year, he's worse this year. I don't know what he's so desperately clinging onto.
He's ruining his legacy, by hanging around too long.

Staggering. In the space of consecutive posts you've managed to suggest a supporter who turns on one player isn't a 'true supporter' yet imply another player has a brain injury because he did something you didn't like. Pathetic.

Grow up!
You are new here arenā€™t you?

Redman on radio gets asked about Heppell coming back in for this week's game, so here's a players perspective on what he brings:

"Yeah I think obviously most people know what he brings, that leadership and voice and I dare say will slot back into the backline where he was two weeks ago, and yeah provide us with a lot of assurity* back there. Obviously at the start of the year there was a fair bit of sort of commentary around his performances but then he bounced back really well like we know he does. He's probably one of the most professional lads at the club and since I've joined the club there's no surprises that he's bounced back really strongly."

*not a word, but that's what he said. One assumes he means 'assurance'...

Redman on radio gets asked about Heppell coming back in for this week's game, so here's a players perspective on what he brings:

"Yeah I think obviously most people know what he brings, that leadership and voice and I dare say will slot back into the backline where he was two weeks ago, and yeah provide us with a lot of assurity* back there. Obviously at the start of the year there was a fair bit of sort of commentary around his performances but then he bounced back really well like we know he does. He's probably one of the most professional lads at the club and since I've joined the club there's no surprises that he's bounced back really strongly."

*not a word, but that's what he said. One assumes he means 'assurance'...
why must you always hate on the Caribbean people?

6BE29076-E463-4B2B-97D3-C0A3B660ADDE.jpeg

I really donā€™t care if the players like him or love him or consider him a kind of leader. Heā€™s super friendly and they like his vibe so of course theyā€™re going to say nice things about him. Heā€™s cooked and his supposed redeeming qualities are not enough.

I really donā€™t care if the players like him or love him or consider him a kind of leader. Heā€™s super friendly and they like his vibe so of course theyā€™re going to say nice things about him. Heā€™s cooked and his supposed redeeming qualities are not enough.
Yep but it is what it is. They play with him. We watch. He was a total liability against the Pies but he still has credit inside the playing group and obviously gives them something. Maybe if we actually had a bit of leadership depth it would not be the case. Not sure the coach can carry too many more efforts like the last one.

Yep but it is what it is. They play with him. We watch. He was a total liability against the Pies but he still has credit inside the playing group and obviously gives them something. Maybe if we actually had a bit of leadership depth it would not be the case. Not sure the coach can carry too many more efforts like the last one.
Not sure what he offered in the last qtr against the Pies. Apart from gifting them goals. If he is on the field for leadership, he failed.

Not sure what he offered in the last qtr against the Pies. Apart from gifting them goals. If he is on the field for leadership, he failed.
Like I have said a few times. Obviously inside the four walls it is different. He was very ordinary but those who play with him stick by him. Guess it is part of the loyalty you get when you have been the leader for a long while. I suspect if our level of leadership had any depth in recent years it would be a different story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I have said a few times. Obviously inside the four walls it is different. He was very ordinary but those who play with him stick by him. Guess it is part of the loyalty you get when you have been the leader for a long while. I suspect if our level of leadership had any depth in recent years it would be a different story.
Are they sticking with him publicly, but not privately? Is this one of the North Scott traits that we heard about, that he has his favourites?

We have a number of players, Stringer, Parish, Redman, just to name a few, who most likely, subconsciously at least, let their displeasure be shown on camera when a team mate makes a mistake.

Cant say I've noticed the glare from any of them when it comes to Hepp and his errors, but surely if the same errors from the Pies game keep cropping up, the side eyes, the shake of the head, it will be noticeable.

Personally, I don't want Hepp to finish his career that way, but, despite a couple of good games, he has been a liability. If his performance against the Pies continues, it is time to give him a polite tap on the shoulder.

Are they sticking with him publicly, but not privately? Is this one of the North Scott traits that we heard about, that he has his favourites?

We have a number of players, Stringer, Parish, Redman, just to name a few, who most likely, subconsciously at least, let their displeasure be shown on camera when a team mate makes a mistake.

Cant say I've noticed the glare from any of them when it comes to Hepp and his errors, but surely if the same errors from the Pies game keep cropping up, the side eyes, the shake of the head, it will be noticeable.

Personally, I don't want Hepp to finish his career that way, but, despite a couple of good games, he has been a liability. If his performance against the Pies continues, it is time to give him a polite tap on the shoulder.
From what I know the players back him. It is not a Scott thing. It is very easy sitting on the outside. It is not so black and white inside the team.
At some stage the tap will come but that timeline will be longer than what we expect it will be.

Not that he was best on but thatā€™s the first solid outing from him in a loss that I can remember in a good few years. Doesnā€™t change my thoughts on him but thought it should be acknowledged.
Credit where credit is due, he hasn't been bad recently. He certainly hasn't amongst the worst few players each week.

Had a few turnovers throughout the night but credit where it's due, won the important 1v1 contest and composed himself well in that last 90 seconds. An inexperienced player doesn't compose himself like that.

Sign him up for 3 more šŸ˜„

How good was it that after muffing several hang-time marks he took the most crucial one?

His entire game was actually very very good. Is not anywhere near the player he was but just did some exceptional one- percenters and showed great footy IQ.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back