Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Yes 8, Buddy has done it, so has Ablett Jnr, though I think it is easier to get a lot of AA's as a midfielder as they pick more mids every year.
And thereā€™s lots of competition for those spots. Every team - even the lowly ones - generally has a couple of mids who have very good seasons. This year, Horne-Francis, Hayden Young, Zac Merrett missed out. Neale won the Brownlow last year yet didnā€™t make the AA team.

I actually think Errol had a down season in 2024 compared to 2023 but in saying that he still easily deserved his AA this year.
I think he has learned how to play with a hard tag. He has had a flat spot but overall he may well have impacted more games this year. I would say both on a par probably.

I actually think Errol had a down season in 2024 compared to 2023 but in saying that he still easily deserved his AA this year.

Agree, deserved AA, but last year he was a brownlow contender and won our best and fairest etc, this year he isn't quite that level. Still farkn outstanding so not being critical

Agree, deserved AA, but last year he was a brownlow contender and won our best and fairest etc, this year he isn't quite that level. Still farkn outstanding so not being critical
Yep.
Both years he has been the outstanding winger in the comp. Last year he pretty much carried the team over the last half dozen rounds and accumulated a bunch of Brownlow, AFLPCA and Skilton votes. This year he has still been very good but has had company with more contributions from others, especially, but not only, Heeney and Warner.

Yep.
Both years he has been the outstanding winger in the comp. Last year he pretty much carried the team over the last half dozen rounds and accumulated a bunch of Brownlow, AFLPCA and Skilton votes. This year he has still been very good but has had company with more contributions from others, especially, but not only, Heeney and Warner.

Yep 100%

OK - Lets discuss the ā€˜role of the wingerā€™.

I think Errolā€™s remark about Wankos was much more about him defending his role than ā€˜having a shotā€™.

The SCG has wide wings - REQUIRES maximum endurance - I reckon the coaching team has acknowledged a ā€˜high enduranceā€™ wing will pay dividends above ā€˜another midfielderā€™

Of course if the oppo team is stacked with ball betters - or if its Gmhba stadium - heā€™ll dig in.

But crossing lines out wideā€¦Iā€™d back Errol and Macca all day.
ā€¦even over Wankos.

I think Errolā€™s remark about Wankos was much more about him defending his role than ā€˜having a shotā€™.
I think Errol's Daicos comment (your name for him is somewhat infantile to my eyes) was absolutely about the role and maybe the selection process. I have no idea what he thinks of Daicos - they probably get on just fine, maybe better than fine - but I do believe he's far too classy to publicly dig any other player, let alone one of the standing of Daicos.

(Unless he's doing a promo for a Sydney derby, in which case anything goes. Almost.)

I think Errol's Daicos comment (your name for him is somewhat infantile to my eyes) was absolutely about the role and maybe the selection process. I have no idea what he thinks of Daicos - they probably get on just fine, maybe better than fine - but I do believe he's far too classy to publicly dig any other player, let alone one of the standing of Daicos.

(Unless he's doing a promo for a Sydney derby, in which case anything goes. Almost.)
I loved Gulden's quip and I love Daicos's many unflattering nicknames.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You work your side of the street, Iā€™ll work mine.

The ignore button should address your sensitivities. And Iā€™ll stay classy and avoid any judgements of you.šŸ˜‰

Why does everyone think that the first instinct should be to put people on ignore for a one-off comment they don't agree with? Seems a bit sensitive.

Daicos didn't deserve a wing spot, and Gulden's specialty in that role should see him sweep AAs most years if he stays fit and firing. Could be a lot of AAs in the future.

also needs to improve in the quiet quarters. He was basically a non-factor for the first half of the game and a player of his quality should not find himself in that position.
Seriously have you have any knowledge of the great game , he's a star and now gets locked down , but he's a star

Seriously have you have any knowledge of the great game , he's a star and now gets locked down , but he's a star
Sorry Bedders but that doesn't cut the mustard. Gulden is a great player and a star, but he needs to learn to still be effective when's he's being closely checked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back