Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

They still got 53 more games out of him than we did with Yarran , plus Lids Rolex wouldn’t have gone missing. 😂
yarran played a role in our dynasty with some sublime passes to our dynasty team during 2016-17 pre season training while on the sweet puff

We could’ve picked up Grundy and Ginnivan if we hadn’t blown the picks on this tractor. We also would’ve had a lot of change leftover in our pockets and possibly still a second round pick .

Yep we could have had a ruckman we didn't require and a bog average small forward meanwhile had Taranto fighting a 7 nation army one out in the midfield.

If you can't even work it out with 2 years of hindsight in your favour I am glad you are not making our list decisions in real time, we'd be playing against Fitzroy in D Grade Amateurs in no time.

Yep we could have had a ruckman we didn't require and a bog average small forward meanwhile had Taranto fighting a 7 nation army one out in the midfield.

If you can't even work it out with 2 years of hindsight in your favour I am glad you are not making our list decisions in real time, we'd be playing against Fitzroy in D Grade Amateurs in no time.
lol how has he helped Taranto as he’s played 24 games in just under two seasons and walked off injured in at least four?
He’s on a staggering 8 games this year with two incomplete games.
As for Ginnivan he would be an upgrade on every small forward on our list which wouldn’t be hard atm. No disrespect to Campbell and Green, but they’re young and inexperienced atm and a long way behind.Mansell I don’t rate as I’ve told you as he’s limited in the role and one dimensional. Coulthard is a spud and will be delisted. MRJ has talent, but fitness is his nemesis with injuries so Ginnivan would’ve been an awesome addition to our team .
Hopper will probably end up playing for Fitzroy D grade amateurs the way he’s going. 😂
I’m sure I would make better decisions that have currently been made and we wouldn’t be on the bottom of the ladder as this lot have placed us. I know at least I couldn’t do any worse. 😂
Injuries or not it’s the lack of foresight in list management by investing in tractors, not moving on older statesman quick enough and not building a team for the future. They couldn’t see we were a slow team and continued the problems by adding two more tractors that haven’t helped us at all because we are still on the bottom of the ladder and now the only option we have is to lose our faster and talented players to get young talent in to try and build faster. What poor list management and incompetence you’re defending as JH will not be part of our next premiership team and I even doubt TT will be.
Hopper is ranked 80th in the AFL as a midfielder using wheelo rating stats as you heavily rely on , so that places him fourth to fifth in line in the midfield in any team based on averages. lol for a bloke on $750k a year and you’re claiming he’s helping out tiny Tim who himself sits at an embarrassing 43rd ranked player. Any wonder we are on the bottom of the ladder with these two horrible additions to our aging and slow list. Do your search.
If there was a wheelorating on our list managers they would be at the bottom of the pack and would be lucky to hold a job at Fitzroy Ammo’s PMSL.

Last edited:
lol how has he helped Taranto as he’s played 24 games in just under two seasons and walked off injured in at least four?
He’s on a staggering 8 games this year with two incomplete games.
As for Ginnivan he would be an upgrade on every small forward on our list which wouldn’t be hard atm. No disrespect to Campbell and Green, but they’re young and inexperienced atm and a long way behind.Mansell I don’t rate as I’ve told you as he’s limited in the role and one dimensional. Coulthard is a spud and will be delisted. MRJ has talent, but fitness is his nemesis with injuries so Ginnivan would’ve been an awesome addition to our team .
Hopper will probably end up playing for Fitzroy D grade amateurs the way he’s going. 😂
I’m sure I would make better decisions that have currently been made and we wouldn’t be on the bottom of the ladder as this lot have placed us. I know at least I couldn’t do any worse. 😂
Injuries or not it’s the lack of foresight in list management by investing in tractors, not moving on older statesman quick enough and not building a team for the future. They couldn’t see we were a slow team and continued the problems by adding two more tractors that haven’t helped us at all because we are still on the bottom of the ladder and now the only option we have is to lose our faster and talented players to get young talent in to try and build faster. What poor list management and incompetence you’re defending as JH will not be part of our next premiership team and I even doubt TT will be.
Hopper is ranked 80th in the AFL as a midfielder using wheelo rating stats as you heavily rely on , so that places him fourth to fifth in line in the midfield in any team based on averages. lol for a bloke on $750k a year and you’re claiming he’s helping out tiny Tim who himself sits at an embarrassing 43rd ranked player. Any wonder we are on the bottom of the ladder with these two horrible additions to our aging and slow list. Do your search.
If there was a wheelorating on our list managers they would be at the bottom of the pack and would be lucky to hold a job at Fitzroy Ammo’s PMSL.

Ok......shouldn't have got 25yo Hopper to fill a gaping hole in our midfield because he won't be part of our next Premiership you say.

But we should have got 30yo Grundy to play in a position we already have filled...despite the fact he is "not going to play in our next Premiership."

And Richmond's list manager is no good, despite building and managing a triple Premiership list. But you would do better, despite glaring errors like the above and thinking Jack Ginnivan is an A Grader.

You are in unchartered waters here TI, but I think you are on your own. This has gone beyond classic TI to next level TI. :tearsofjoy:

Ok......shouldn't have got 25yo Hopper to fill a gaping hole in our midfield because he won't be part of our next Premiership you say.

But we should have got 30yo Grundy to play in a position we already have filled...despite the fact he is "not going to play in our next Premiership."

And Richmond's list manager is no good, despite building and managing a triple Premiership list. But you would do better, despite glaring errors like the above and thinking Jack Ginnivan is an A Grader.

You are in uncharted waters here TI, but I think you are on your own. This has gone beyond classic TI to next level TI. :tearsofjoy:
You are saying the 80th ranked midfielder is assisting the 43rd ranked midfielder in the AFL is a masterstroke in list management? Grundy has a better chance of playing five more seasons than Hopper. lol.
But but our list managers added Naismith to our list. 😂 Have you already forgotten this or is it avoidance as usual by you?
I’m definitely not on my own in this area of list management. Also the nucleus of our premiership team wasn’t by all of these list managers as it was done under the Wallace era and Balme in his peak added the final touches in 16 and 17. We did the exact opposite in the Wallace era and used our low picks to build a list of quality and not trade them off for tractors . Unfortunately Balme’s doing guest speaking work atm before he retires. These list managers with Clarke actually ran the list to the ground. You make things up bc you can’t look deep enough into facts and some are so obvious.
In his eight seasons Hopper has averaged around the 70th ranked mid in the AFL with Taranto slightly better at around 60th and you call that great list management. 😜 Fitzroy Ammo’s stuff.
I’m surprised you haven’t picked all this up as you’re the wheelo rating guru of bigfooty? Or do you only apply wheelo rating stats when it suits your motive?

Last edited:
we should of sued those bastards!
they knew he was on the gear and proceeded to say nothing
Iirc I raised this after running into the campaigner at Scarborough in wa when he was training on his own….the night I got my wallet lifted and I was sober compared to that campaigner

well I see a lot of footy in NSW and the price did not seem justified to me at the time
Look after he tore us a new one in that 19gf it was a no brainer , reminds me of Graeme Richmond and the Phillip Walsh trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the direction we are headed, I wonder if we could trade him to Melbourne for a second round pick.

A Taranto, Hopper, Ross, Mcauliffe midfield is just too similar and we will still have Prestia for another 1 to 2 years as well.

Last edited:
You are saying the 80th ranked midfielder is assisting the 43rd ranked midfielder in the AFL is a masterstroke in list management? Grundy has a better chance of playing five more seasons than Hopper. lol.
But but our list managers added Naismith to our list. 😂 Have you already forgotten this or is it avoidance as usual by you?
I’m definitely not on my own in this area of list management. Also the nucleus of our premiership team wasn’t by all of these list managers as it was done under the Wallace era and Balme in his peak added the final touches in 16 and 17. We did the exact opposite in the Wallace era and used our low picks to build a list of quality and not trade them off for tractors . Unfortunately Balme’s doing guest speaking work atm before he retires. These list managers with Clarke actually ran the list to the ground. You make things up bc you can’t look deep enough into facts and some are so obvious.
In his eight seasons Hopper has averaged around the 70th ranked mid in the AFL with Taranto slightly better at around 60th and you call that great list management. 😜 Fitzroy Ammo’s stuff.
I’m surprised you haven’t picked all this up as you’re the wheelo rating guru of bigfooty? Or do you only apply wheelo rating stats when it suits your motive?

If you look at Hopper's only 2 seasons as a mature player at GWS that were not injury interrupted, he rated around 12.0 points on average. This is roughly what Taranto has rated since coming to Richmond. This is about the level of the 3rd best mid in an average team. If you look at the salary we are playing them, reportedly around $715k average at the time of signing, this is fairly consistent with what you would imagine the 3rd best mid in an average side gets in their main contract.

Mid table right now teams 8th 9th 10th 11th are Dogs, Hawks, Bombers, Demons. Who are the 3rd ranked mids for these teams and what would they get if signing a long term deal aged 24-25yo?

Dogs: Their 3rd-4th highest rated inside mids would come from any of Smith, Liberatore, Richards, Treloar. Of those, the ones that are laying this year all rate 14+ so higher than our guys. But the 24-25yo version of these players would attract $900-1m salaries on long term deals.

Hawks: Their 3rd rated mid is Will Day, who turns 23 this year, he is rating around 12.8 with likely upside. If he signed an 8 year deal at the end of this year it would be on $1m+.

Bombers: Their 3rd rated mid this year is Caldwell who turns 24yo this year and rates 11.67. If he signed a long term deal this year it would likely be on around $750k.

Melbourne: Obviously a lot of disruption losing Angus and Oliver not near his best. But the closest they have is their second rated mid Viney, who rates 12.66. He is a bit better than our pair but the 24-25yo version of him would get $900k+ on a long term deal.

So I am not sure of whether Taranto and Hopper's base salary has risen with the new TPP deal, but if they are on $700-800k now their salaries are right in line with what Richmond would have projected their ratings to be when they were signed.

If you scan the ratings for high paid midfield players affected by injuries or other issues who rate below where Taranto and Hopper would have been projected in 2024:

Taranto 12.25

Coniglio 11.42
Oliver 11.02
Prestia 10.91
Cerra 10.67
De Goey 10.61
Parker 10.17
Fyfe 9.65
Shiel 9.36

Hopper 9.19

T Adams 8.9
T Mitchell 8.83
Parish 8.6
C Guthrie 6.83
Mills 5.95
Gaff 5.87

So when things go wrong for any high paid mid and they don't get a good run at it, they are a chance to slide well below their projected rating in a particular season. This is what has happened to Hopper of course, in both his seasons with us.

We just need to see Hopper get a good run at it and see if he looks value for money then. If he never gets back to his best(unlikely imo) then this is a chance you take with any player you recruit.

Midway through the last he was on 29% by foot and was chasing butts all day. As long as this VFL player is on our list the rebuild will be halted. It's a mess what the list managers did in 22 and have stuffed our team up .
it was dumma who insisted on him

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back