Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Our future first went at pick 8 . Adelaide used it on curtain. Then it was a GC academy player and then caddy. Either caddy or curtain would have been taken as we need key position players. I know people say picks might not work out, but a top 10 pick is the best way to snare a gun player. Sometimes you just need a few goes and some work and some don't. He hasn't really worked though which sees us drop and players now wanting to go.home or to clubs in the window.
Hopper AND Taranto were brought in to address a problem Richmond had with contested footy and clearances. Maybe we had been after just one of them during 2022, but when we lost the final, with an injured Graham & Prestia going off injured mid game, Cotch having an average game, Dusty just back from a year out.

Roll round 2023, Hopper injured a bit but Cotch, Prestia uninjured all year. So Prestia and ends up in the forward line, with Graham, an unfit MRJ, ageing Jack R, and 4 games from Lynch. Uneven performances from the other small forwards. Our scoring has dropped off savagely.

We could not attract a FA KPF end of 2023. We drafted LeFau, injured; Fawcett who looked OK on the weekend, after missing the whole season with illness. Ryan still needs 3 years, Kosi has been OK.

The injury list has been ridiculous for 2 years. Would Caddy or any other draftee survived Meehan?

Our future first went at pick 8 . Adelaide used it on curtain. Then it was a GC academy player and then caddy. Either caddy or curtain would have been taken as we need key position players. I know people say picks might not work out, but a top 10 pick is the best way to snare a gun player. Sometimes you just need a few goes and some work and some don't. He hasn't really worked though which sees us drop and players now wanting to go.home or to clubs in the window.
So it may have cost us curtain not caddy

Is he better than Callaghan, Kelly, Cogs and Green? I don’t think hopper nor Taranto is so gws smartly cashed out. Tim quite literally couldn’t get a gig in the guts during 21 and 22 I think and was playing more time forward
Kelly and Coniglio have played 24 out of a possible 42 games this year, or just over half, so they're not keeping either TT or Hopper out of any team, this or any past seasons.

Callaghan has never scored a single Brownlow vote, so he wasn't keeping TT/Hop out of any team in either 2022 or 2021. Taranto polled in 8 games in 2022 and 8 games in 2023, including 5 BOGs. His form was elite.

If Taranto and Hopper played for the Giants in 2023 they'd have almost definitely won that PF, and it's highly likely GWS would have a premiership cup by now.

I'm not sure why you're searching so hard for reasons to despise these guys?

Kelly and Coniglio have played 24 out of a possible 42 games this year, or just over half, so they're not keeping either TT or Hopper out of any team, this or any past seasons.

Callaghan has never scored a single Brownlow vote, so he wasn't keeping TT/Hop out of any team in either 2022 or 2021. Taranto polled in 8 games in 2022 and 8 games in 2023, including 5 BOGs. His form was elite.

If Taranto and Hopper played for the Giants in 2023 they'd have almost definitely won that PF, and it's highly likely GWS would have a premiership cup by now.

Because theyre BELOW AVERAGE midfielders that cost us a packet.

Massive call. TT is a very good player, and Hopper is not as bad as the usual haters make out. But would they have delivered a flag? Thankfully, we’ll never know, and GWS can cry in to their beer.

Massive call. TT is a very good player, and Hopper is not as bad as the usual haters make out. But would they have delivered a flag? Thankfully, we’ll never know, and GWS can cry in to their beer.
They only had to have beaten Collingwood. Fair chance TT alone would've made a significant difference, especially given his brilliant form in 2023. He'd have certainly been an improvement on a few of the blokes the Giants carried that day. And in a a non-Meehan environment, even Hops may have been in good nick?

No reason to think they also wouldn't have taken care of the Lions the following week, given an inferior Collingwood team did.

They only had to have beaten Collingwood. Fair chance TT alone would've made a significant difference, especially given his brilliant form in 2023. He'd have certainly been an improvement on a few of the blokes the Giants carried that day. And in a a non-Meehan environment, even Hops may have been in good nick?

No reason to think they also wouldn't have taken care of the Lions the following week, given an inferior Collingwood team did.

There is no way GWS get any where near a premiership in 2023 with a team based around a get the ball.. kick the ball main midfield player who doesn’t see the game ahead of him . ( Taranto)
They just don’t ever get that synergy that was off the charts.
We headed down that road because someone thought we could just boot it to Lynch and everything would be fine. That someone knicked off quick smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure the usual horde of do-gooders and kool-aid drinkers will find there usual batch of a dozen excuses to deflect from another woeful performance.
Gonna be a long next five years with this plodder being made to earn his coin by being gifted games.
Mediocrity at its finest.

This guy sucks. Ross is better and I dare say on a fraction of the contract.

Slow as ****. Reminds me of Ben Lennon for pace.

He's basically providing the same output as 33 year old Cotchin last year

I'm sure the usual horde of do-gooders and kool-aid drinkers will find there usual batch of a dozen excuses to deflect from another woeful performance.
Gonna be a long next five years with this plodder being made to earn his coin by being gifted games.
Mediocrity at its finest.
Positive 2/7 years done

Crazy that hopper is in his prime. Looks like a beat up 32 year old. There’s only room for one of Taranto and hopper and I think everyone takes Taranto. Our midfield group is just so depressing, nothing to be excited about whatsoever.
There has to be an element of unprofessionalism about him, either diet or phoning it in when he trains

GWS played us like a fiddle

Anyone still sticking up for the guy and trade deal are gutlessly hiding behind his 3 years of injuries to cushion to the reality that the deal at the time was a bad, or are a dimma apologist.

Time to bring yourselves into 2024 and 2025 for starters.

Are you pro or anti our success?

Cut your losses and wake up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back