Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. We need to get ahead of the game. Let's do some next next generation thinking. I suggest we only recruit players who are at least 6'6'', can run 100m in under 10 seconds and 30km over a game, have 270 degree vision, can kick the ball 80m and can wrestle a rhino to the ground.
haha, look around and see the mids playing in the top teams.
Then come back to me, i would like to see the tigers back in the top end, not the ninthmond I saw for years and years and years.

Is he better than Callaghan, Kelly, Cogs and Green? I don’t think hopper nor Taranto is so gws smartly cashed out. Tim quite literally couldn’t get a gig in the guts during 21 and 22 I think and was playing more time forward

So did GWS not try to keep Taranto - they were super keen to keep him but we were able to offer a longer deal and more total money.

In 2021-22 he played 40 games for GWS, averaged 26 touches and 4 clearances a game…. so yeah, he played loads of midfield.

And in 2019 and 2021 Hopper got 45 and 51 coaches votes. He averaged 26 touches and 6.3 clearances a game across those 2 x seasons. He was 3rd in the star studded GWS best and fairest. He was a super player and they were fully fit seasons. He has struggled the last 3 seasons with persistent injuries, but if he gets back to full fitness he will be excellent again… he’s 27yo, not 33yo.

I’ll concede if his body continues to let him down it’ll be a poor trade.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree. We need to get ahead of the game. Let's do some next next generation thinking. I suggest we only recruit players who are at least 6'6'', can run 100m in under 10 seconds and 30km over a game, have 270 degree vision, can kick the ball 80m and can wrestle a rhino to the ground.
We already have Balta to do all that

So did GWS not try to keep Taranto - they were super keen to keep him but we were able to offer a longer deal and more total money.

In 2021-22 he played 40 games for GWS, averaged 26 touches and 4 clearances a game…. so yeah, he played loads of midfield.

And in 2019 and 2021 Hopper got 45 and 51 coaches votes. He averaged 26 touches and 6.3 clearances a game across those 2 x seasons. He was 3rd in the star studded GWS best and fairest. He was a super player and they were fully fit seasons. He has struggled the last 3 seasons with persistent injuries, but if he gets back to full fitness he will be excellent again… he’s 27yo, not 33yo.

I do not understand, I thought we are here to win premierships and Taranto wanted to win premierships

The year we traded picks for him he only played 7 games. We gave up too much for a lemon.

OK so he an get his hand on the ball. 13 clearances was psycho. That's what he's there for. averaging 4 over his career. Plus 22 disposals KE aint great so we need a couple of quality kids. One for Graham. one for Prestia/Hopper.

Big, multiple injuries both years... he can play.

Part of his spring and summer program involved Pilates classes at a Brighton studio, where Richmond great Trent Cotchin is a director.

"I think it is important to find new things. Pilates is something that I've got really into. To be able to go in there and really sweat as well, because it's in the heat, that was good to go and do some of that finer work that can be mundane and boring," Hopper said.

hopefully change of fitness staff helps.

Last edited:
Just gonna put some perspective on people bagging Hopper for his disposal (especially that last game where he showed to be one of, if not the best clearance and contest player on the ground):

I think it's pretty much agreed upon that Nick Daicos is one of the best users of the ball in footy atm. In the first 2 months of the season, he was top 6 for ball use and top 20 as a ball winner. In the last 3 or 4 months of the season, he was a top 5 ball winner, but his ball use fell to a point that he ranks just within the top 100 players.

So if one of the best ball users in the game has a massive drop off in their ball use when their focus becomes contest, clearance and winning the ball, why is it still something that is used to beat midfielders such as Hopper and Taranto who make it their job to be ball winners (in an ideal system)?

New dawn in 2025, new fitness coach, new team bascially, players like Hopper are about to be cast into a level of leadership they've never experienced, I think we will see the best of him next year, at full fitness, he is a genuine GUN inside mid, with a great side step in kick inside 50.

He wasnt able to get fit and find consistency this year. The only thing holding him back is his body, and right the RFC needs to take responsibility for this with him and most of our players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New dawn in 2025, new fitness coach, new team bascially, players like Hopper are about to be cast into a level of leadership they've never experienced, I think we will see the best of him next year, at full fitness, he is a genuine GUN inside mid, with a great side step in kick inside 50.

He wasnt able to get fit and find consistency this year. The only thing holding him back is his body, and right the RFC needs to take responsibility for this with him and most of our players.
Is one paced ( no excelletation / burst) and has no agility . As such he is reluctant to and can’t chase/ defend, has zero impact offensively due to near zero outside game and poor disposal efficiency .
To try and compensate he has turned his game solely into first disposal type player which due to lack of agility and burst is further worsening his DE .
He is trying to cling on but reality is he’s cooked and has been for 2-3 years which includes before he arrived at RFC .
As an example Sheds/ Cotchins last two seasons were better than Hoppers last two and most were calling for them to retire because they were cooked .

Coupled with Prestia and Taranto and it only amplifies Hopper’s situation .

He was the same at GWS though.

He has never been anything spectacular let alone special as his career ratings also prove this.

https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_player_profile.html?ID=2daeef

He’s always around the middle of the road compared to AFL midfielders, but on above good midfielder’s wages.
He’s Currently ranked 82 out of 162 of all the midfielders in the AFL. He’s in rarified air with the likes of Xavier Duursma, Paddy Dow, Bailey Williams and Jase Burgoyne.

He has never been anything spectacular let alone special as his career ratings also prove this.

https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_player_profile.html?ID=2daeef

He’s always around the middle of the road compared to AFL midfielders, but on above good midfielder’s wages.
He’s Currently ranked 82 out of 162 of all the midfielders in the AFL. He’s in rarified air with the likes of Xavier Duursma, Paddy Dow, Bailey Williams and Jase Burgoyne.
Not going to be able to trade him. We are stuck hoping get gets a lot better next year.

Not going to be able to trade him. We are stuck hoping get gets a lot better next year.
People thinking we are going to trade him are dreaming as his contract makes him permanently locked in with us for the rest of his career. I’m hoping he smells the roses by mid 2026 that the game is beyond him and he retires .
Whoever signed off on his contract ( BH ? ) needs to go before him. Absolutely pathetic signing.

He was the same at GWS though.
Its no coincidence that his best year was when he played most games though, personally I think thats the biggest issue, not ability

Still reckon Dimma had a big say in that, he thought sorting the midfield would get us another flag.
Definitely, but he was supported by BH and possibly Livo and this wasn't Dimma's job. List management should never be left to the coach. We got it wrong as it was a need to get mids, but we got the wrong type that we needed.

2021 - arguably the best inside mid in the game.

The 3 years above, he played 20+ games and dominated.
He wasn't as he ranked around 70-90 in the midfield and a lot of inside mids well ahead of him. Go to the link i sent and do a proper review mate. He never dominated bc hid DE killed his good work. You're over rating him.

He wasn't as he ranked around 70-90 in the midfield and a lot of inside mids well ahead of him. Go to the link i sent and do a proper review mate. He never dominated bc hid DE killed his good work. You're over rating him.
Agree to disagree

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back