Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree to disagree
in 21 he ranked 42 in the mids and it was a closely cluttered bunch between 40-70. He was below the cream inside mids. Ranked one behind Prestia. Hit player filters and select midfield in this link.

in 21 he ranked 42 in the mids and it was a closely cluttered bunch between 40-70. He was below the cream inside mids. Ranked one behind Prestia. Hit player filters and select midfield in this link.

Bro stats never paint a full picture, nor do rankings. Its all G, we dont have to agree.

He wasn't as he ranked around 70-90 in the midfield and a lot of inside mids well ahead of him. Go to the link i sent and do a proper review mate. He never dominated bc hid DE killed his good work. You're over rating him.

In 2019 Hopper was the 44th highest rated mid in the comp by player ratings. This puts him around the fringe of a top 2 rated mid in an average team, or just above the average 3rd rated mid in an average team. Which is exactly what we paid for if you go by salary and the expected value of the draft picks that changed hands. He was the 32nd highest ranked mid that year by average coaches votes. Overall, using the 2 measures, player ratings and coaches votes, you would say he was a fringe top 2 mid in an average AFL team.

In 2021 Hopper was the 47th highest rated mid in the player ratings. And he was 31st highest rated by average coaches votes. Again, combining the two measures, you have a fringe top 2 mid for an average AFL team. Exactly what we paid for. And if we overpaid for him against that performance it was by little enough not to be a concern.

Your denouncement of Hopper and his recruitment is just based on nonsense, as usual. We didn't recruit him thinking he wouldn't be able to reproduce those levels of performance due to injuries. It is just the luck of the draw. Hopper, when right, is a good player, not a great player. He is more than capable of holding his own as a starting AFL midfielder, but perhaps won't put you ahead of the game. But for the expected value of around pick 14(the later pick 34 is almost fully cancelled out by the 2 picks that came back, 49 & 55) so let's say the expected value of pick 13 overall and a salary at around 4.5% of the salary cap, the values were all correct if he was fit and firing.

We needed a player just like this to stop the likes of Cripps smashing us to pieces in the midfield. Sometimes good recruiting is made to look bad by injuries the player suffers, Nathan Brown for eg. You just have to live with it and stop ****ing whingeing you old campaigner. :tearsofjoy:

In 2019 Hopper was the 44th highest rated mid in the comp by player ratings. This puts him around the fringe of a top 2 rated mid in an average team, or just above the average 3rd rated mid in an average team. Which is exactly what we paid for if you go by salary and the expected value of the draft picks that changed hands. He was the 32nd highest ranked mid that year by average coaches votes. Overall, using the 2 measures, player ratings and coaches votes, you would say he was a fringe top 2 mid in an average AFL team.

In 2021 Hopper was the 47th highest rated mid in the player ratings. And he was 31st highest rated by average coaches votes. Again, combining the two measures, you have a fringe top 2 mid for an average AFL team. Exactly what we paid for. And if we overpaid for him against that performance it was by little enough not to be a concern.

Your denouncement of Hopper and his recruitment is just based on nonsense, as usual. We didn't recruit him thinking he wouldn't be able to reproduce those levels of performance due to injuries. It is just the luck of the draw. Hopper, when right, is a good player, not a great player. He is more than capable of holding his own as a starting AFL midfielder, but perhaps won't put you ahead of the game. But for the expected value of around pick 14(the later pick 34 is almost fully cancelled out by the 2 picks that came back, 49 & 55) so let's say the expected value of pick 13 overall and a salary at around 4.5% of the salary cap, the values were all correct if he was fit and firing.

We needed a player just like this to stop the likes of Cripps smashing us to pieces in the midfield. Sometimes good recruiting is made to look bad by injuries the player suffers, Nathan Brown for eg. You just have to live with it and stop ****ing whingeing you old campaigner. :tearsofjoy:
No he's outside the top two rated mids in every team in the comp. as 2x18 =36????? So in an average team he would be further down the ranks lol if he was 44th in the comp. Stopped reading after that nonsense. He's a below average footballer on above average footballer wages. If he was on a two year deal at 350k we would be more lenient, but he's not and this is the problem plus then the picks he cost us.

Last edited:
No he's outside the top two rated mids in every team in the comp. as 2x18 =36????? So in an average team he would be further down the ranks lol if he was 44th in the comp. Stopped reading after that nonsense.

Usual feeble response. Hopper at his best is around the fringes of the top 2 mids in an average AFL team. If he is slightly below that he is still well within being a top 3 mid in an average AFL team. The way you are carrying on like a bald headed baby is like that is somehow a bad thing.

Usual feeble response. Hopper at his best is around the fringes of the top 2 mids in an average AFL team. If he is slightly below that he is still well within being a top 3 mid in an average AFL team. The way you are carrying on like a bald headed baby is like that is somehow a bad thing.
Stick to the topic. No he's outside the top two rated mids in every team in the comp. as 2x18 =36????? So in an average team he would be further down the ranks lol if he was 44th in the comp. Stopped reading after that nonsense. He's a below average footballer on above average footballer wages. If he was on a two year deal at 350k we would be more lenient, but he's not and this is the problem plus then the picks he cost us. IN the end he didn't solve our midfield issues , but exacerbated it.

Last edited:
Stick to the topic. No he's outside the top two rated mids in every team in the comp. as 2x18 =36????? So in an average team he would be further down the ranks lol if he was 44th in the comp. Stopped reading after that nonsense. He's a below average footballer on above average footballer wages. If he was on a two year deal at 350k we would be more lenient, but he's not and this is the problem plus then the picks he cost us.

Lol a player who when fit is a top 2-3 mid in an average AFL team is a below average footballer now. :tearsofjoy:

You might want to see if you can somehow regain the plot TI, because this is bordering on you declaring Jack Ginnivan an A Grader levels of foolishness. Just to compare the two. In Hopper's 4th year he had a player rating of 12.00. In Ginnivan's 4th year he has a player rating of 6.97.

Yet to you Ginnivan is an A Grader and Hopper is below average. :drunk:

Lol a player who when fit is a top 2-3 mid in an average AFL team is a below average footballer now. :tearsofjoy:

You might want to see if you can somehow regain the plot TI, because this is bordering on you declaring Jack Ginnivan an A Grader levels of foolishness. Just to compare the two. In Hopper's 4th year he had a player rating of 12.00. In Ginnivan's 4th year he has a player rating of 6.97.

Yet to you Ginnivan is an A Grader and Hopper is below average. :drunk:
Hopper had the same rating when we gave up a FR and a SR AND 750K for seven years. Marvelous just bloody marvelous. Can't compare him to Ginnivan as he has a different role Again deflection and nonsense.

If he was on a two year deal at 350k we would be more lenient, but he's not and this is the problem plus then the picks he cost us. IN the end he didn't solve our midfield issues , but exacerbated them.

Why posters argue about hoppers stats is beyond me. All I want to see from hopper is performance. His fitness level by the start of 2025 is irrelevant, he’s either fit or not and if he doesn’t deliver on the field, then off to the VFL. Let him languish and the likelihood is he’ll want out. It is now up to the coaches/hierarchy at Richmond to ensure this guy is accountable. He either performs or rots in VFL.

Hopper had the same rating when we gave up a FR and a SR AND 750K for seven years. Marvelous just bloody marvelous. Can't compare him to Ginnivan as he has a different role Again deflection and nonsense.

If he was on a two year deal at 350k we would be more lenient, but he's not and this is the problem plus then the picks he cost us. IN the end he didn't solve our midfield issues , but exacerbated them.

Jack Ginnivan is exactly the 67th highest rated medium forward in the AFL in his 4th season. Ie outside the best 3 medium forwards in an average AFL team. And you rate him an A Grader.

In Hopper's 4th season he was 44th highest rated midfielder in the AFL, ie well inside the top 3 midfielders in an average AFL team. And you rate him below average at his best.

As my little Brazilian female friend used to say - I don't think so this is true. :)

I will see if I can rustle up a drawing board for you to go back to TI. You need a big rethink.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Ginnivan is exactly the 67th highest rated medium forward in the AFL in his 4th season. Ie outside the best 3 medium forwards in an average AFL team. And you rate him an A Grader.

In Hopper's 4th season he was 44th highest rated midfielder in the AFL, ie well inside the top 3 midfielders in an average AFL team. And you rate him below average at his best.

As my little Brazilian female friend used to say - I don't think so this is true. :)

I will see if I can rustle up a drawing board for you to go back to TI. You need a big rethink.
Since we got Hopper in 2023 season he ranked 63rd in the midfielders in the AFL below Jack Ross.
In 2024 he ranked 82nd in the comp. lol After we picked him up where in 2021 he ranked 118th in the comp. lol

Small forwards from 20th to 80th there is little margin between them unlike Mids. So again you're out of your depth with your deflections. This is the Hopper thread and your defence of him is just cherry picking . The reality is we have picked up a lemon .

Prepare Get Ready GIF by STARZ

Why posters argue about hoppers stats is beyond me. All I want to see from hopper is performance. His fitness level by the start of 2025 is irrelevant, he’s either fit or not and if he doesn’t deliver on the field, then off to the VFL. Let him languish and the likelihood is he’ll want out. It is now up to the coaches/hierarchy at Richmond to ensure this guy is accountable. He either performs or rots in VFL.
So how do you rate his performance so far?

If this were the case , Cripps games against us with Hopper in our side suggests that it’s been a massive fail .

Since we got Hopper in 2023 season he ranked 63rd in the midfielders in the AFL below Jack Ross.
In 2024 he ranked 82nd in the comp. lol After we picked him up where in 2021 he ranked 118th in the comp. lol

Small forwards from 20th to 80th there is little margin between them unlike Mids. So again you're out of your depth with your deflections. This is the Hopper thread and your defence of him is just cherry picking . The reality is we have picked up a lemon .

Hilarious. New concept to deflect from you rating Hopper below average and Ginnivan an A Grader. TI has now come up with little margin between the small forwards and big margins between the midfielders.

Only when Hopper rated 12.0 in his 4th season the top rated mid - Fyfe - rated 18.47. So Hopper rated 65% as high as the seaosn benchmark.

But when Ginnivan rated 6.97 in his 4th season the best small forward Rankine rated 16.64. So Ginnivan was way less than half the rating of the benchmark at 42%.

Looking forward to your next fake method of elevating Ginnivan and demoting Hopper TI, they are getting quite entertaining. :)

Hilarious. New concept to deflect from you rating Hopper below average and Ginnivan an A Grader. TI has now come up with little margin between the small forwards and big margins between the midfielders.

Only when Hopper rated 12.0 in his 4th season the top rated mid - Fyfe - rated 18.47. So Hopper rated 65% as high as the seaosn benchmark.

But when Ginnivan rated 6.97 in his 4th season the best small forward Rankine rated 16.64. So Ginnivan was way less than half the rating of the benchmark at 42%.

Looking forward to your next fake method of elevating Ginnivan and demoting Hopper TI, they are getting quite entertaining. :)
This is the Hopper thread and your defence of him is just cherry picking . Go and do a thorough analysis of small forward ratings as it took me 5sec to see that there's bugger all difference in ratings from 20th to 80th. The reality is we have picked up a lemon with Hopper.
In 2024 he ranked 82nd in the comp. :laughv1: After we picked him up where in 2021 he ranked 118th in the comp. :think::'(

STICK TO FACTS OK AS WE PICKED UP A BELOW AVERAGE FOOTBALLER FOR AN ABOVE AVERAGE FOOTBALLER'S RATES.

Last edited:
If this were the case , Cripps games against us with Hopper in our side suggests that it’s been a massive fail .

Game 1 rd 1 2023 Cripps rated 14.2 6th BOG. 0 coach votes.

Game 2 rd 1 2024 Cripps rated 21.1 =BOG. 7 coach votes.

W/Hopper Cripps averages 17.7 player rating and 3.5 coach votes.

Without Hopper, Cripps v Richmond:

rd 16 2024 Cripps rated 27.6 10 coach votes

rd 14 2022 Cripps rated 11.0 0 coach votes

rd 1 2022 Cripps rated 20.8 10 coach votes

rd 1 2021 Cripps rated 13.1 1 coach vote

rd 1 2020 Cripps rated 26.2 5 coach votes

rd 1 2019 Cripps rated 27.1 6 coach votes

rd 1 2018 Cripps rated 18.1 10 coach votes

Recent years WO/Hopper Cripps averages 20.55 player rating and 6 coach votes.

So we can see from the small sample of 2 games Cripps has not done quite so much damage when Hopper has played compared to recent years when Hopper hasn't played. But when if you need any evidence of how damaging Cripps would be against this current Richmond team without Hopper, look no further than rd 16, 2024. Cripps got his highest ever rating against us 27.6(which is a huge rating) and 10 coach votes. He had 14 disposals, 17 contested, got 1 goal, 3 assists and 8 score involvements.

This is the Hopper thread and your defence of him is just cherry picking . Go and do a thorough analysis of small forward ratings as it took me 5sec to see that there's bugger all difference in ratings from 20th to 80th. The reality is we have picked up a lemon with Hopper.
In 2024 he ranked 82nd in the comp. :laughv1: After we picked him up where in 2021 he ranked 118th in the comp.
:think::'(

STICK TO FACTS OK AS WE PICKED UP A BELOW AVERAGE FOOTBALLER FOR AN ABOVE AVERAGE FOOTBALLER'S RATES.

Tom Lynch is the 64th highest rated key forward in 2024, of 82 key forwards to have played. In 2023 he was the 43rd highest ranked of 80.

In 2023 Hopper was the 63rd highest rated of 159 midfielders. In 2024 Hopper was the 82nd highest rated of 162 midfielders.

Never quite getting your body right and limping of the ground early in matches will do that to your ratings. Yet Hopper is further up the pecking order of midfielders than Lynch is in the Key Forward pecking order over the last 2 seasons.

Hopper was on average 88 places above the lowest rated midfielder. Lynch was on average 28 places above the lowest rated Key Forward. Yet Lynch is currently being paid twice as much as Hopper. So I suppose we shouldn't have ever recruited Lynch either?

Classic TI signature whingeing this. A player has a bad trot TI has to decry him to all. And sundry.

Never quite getting your body right and limping of the ground early in matches will do that to your ratings. Yet Hopper is further up the pecking order of midfielders than Lynch is in the Key Forward pecking order over the last 2 seasons.

Hopper was on average 88 places above the lowest rated midfielder. Lynch was on average 28 places above the lowest rated Key Forward. Yet Lynch is currently being paid twice as much as Hopper. So I suppose we shouldn't have ever recruited Lynch either?

Classic TI signature whingeing this. A player has a bad trot TI has to decry him to all. And sundry.
So we picked up a broken hack as well for a first rounder, a second rounder and $750k for seven years? lol My Point justified by yourself. You're a goal post mover and are losing places where to hide by bringing Lynch into it.
Thanks for all your hard work proving me right as usual.

Last edited:
So we picked up a broken hack as well for a first rounder, a second rounder, $750k for seven years? lol My Point justified by yourself. You're a goal post mover and are losing places where to hide by bringing Lynch into it.
Thanks for all your hard work proving me right as usual.

Lol it would take more than I could ever achieve to prove you right TigerI. Impossible task. :)

Game 1 rd 1 2023 Cripps rated 14.2 6th BOG. 0 coach votes.

Game 2 rd 1 2024 Cripps rated 21.1 =BOG. 7 coach votes.

W/Hopper Cripps averages 17.7 player rating and 3.5 coach votes.

Without Hopper, Cripps v Richmond:

rd 16 2024 Cripps rated 27.6 10 coach votes

rd 14 2022 Cripps rated 11.0 0 coach votes

rd 1 2022 Cripps rated 20.8 10 coach votes

rd 1 2021 Cripps rated 13.1 1 coach vote

rd 1 2020 Cripps rated 26.2 5 coach votes

rd 1 2019 Cripps rated 27.1 6 coach votes

rd 1 2018 Cripps rated 18.1 10 coach votes

Recent years WO/Hopper Cripps averages 20.55 player rating and 6 coach votes.

So we can see from the small sample of 2 games Cripps has not done quite so much damage when Hopper has played compared to recent years when Hopper hasn't played. But when if you need any evidence of how damaging Cripps would be against this current Richmond team without Hopper, look no further than rd 16, 2024. Cripps got his highest ever rating against us 27.6(which is a huge rating) and 10 coach votes. He had 14 disposals, 17 contested, got 1 goal, 3 assists and 8 score involvements.
Not sure how you determine a 30 possession and 7 coaches votes game as being stopped .

I think he's playing too heavy.
Could be contributing to the injuries as well, but I'm not a sports scientist.
Would like to see him slim down a little and be more nimble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back