Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's playing too heavy.
Could be contributing to the injuries as well, but I'm not a sports scientist.
Would like to see him slim down a little and be more nimble.
I was watching some highlights of his earlier today in his GWS days and he looks to have already slimmed down a lot. He looked like a beast when he was with them and he was a better player too.

I was watching some highlights of his earlier today in his GWS days and he looks to have already slimmed down a lot. He looked like a beast when he was with them and he was a better player too.
Even as a kid in the 2019 GF he was one of the few that actually played well.
Front and square and kicked a nice goal around his body. He is light years away from doing that in yellow & black.

Not sure how you determine a 30 possession and 7 coaches votes game as being stopped .

I didn't determine that. I just simply point to the performance of Cripps when Hopper has played versus when he hasn't played. And there is a noticeable difference. It is not like Hopper is hard tagging Cripps everywhere he goes, he is likely just making Cripps job around stoppages a fair bit tougher. In fact I know he has, because I have watched and replayed some of the stoppage matchups Hopper v Cripps.

I didn't determine that. I just simply point to the performance of Cripps when Hopper has played versus when he hasn't played. And there is a noticeable difference. It is not like Hopper is hard tagging Cripps everywhere he goes, he is likely just making Cripps job around stoppages a fair bit tougher. In fact I know he has, because I have watched and replayed some of the stoppage matchups Hopper v Cripps.
In 2019 Hopper was the 44th highest rated mid in the comp by player ratings. This puts him around the fringe of a top 2 rated mid in an average team, or just above the average 3rd rated mid in an average team. Which is exactly what we paid for if you go by salary and the expected value of the draft picks that changed hands. He was the 32nd highest ranked mid that year by average coaches votes. Overall, using the 2 measures, player ratings and coaches votes, you would say he was a fringe top 2 mid in an average AFL team.

In 2021 Hopper was the 47th highest rated mid in the player ratings. And he was 31st highest rated by average coaches votes. Again, combining the two measures, you have a fringe top 2 mid for an average AFL team. Exactly what we paid for. And if we overpaid for him against that performance it was by little enough not to be a concern.

Your denouncement of Hopper and his recruitment is just based on nonsense, as usual. We didn't recruit him thinking he wouldn't be able to reproduce those levels of performance due to injuries. It is just the luck of the draw. Hopper, when right, is a good player, not a great player. He is more than capable of holding his own as a starting AFL midfielder, but perhaps won't put you ahead of the game. But for the expected value of around pick 14(the later pick 34 is almost fully cancelled out by the 2 picks that came back, 49 & 55) so let's say the expected value of pick 13 overall and a salary at around 4.5% of the salary cap, the values were all correct if he was fit and firing.

We needed a player just like this to stop the likes of Cripps smashing us to pieces in the midfield. Sometimes good recruiting is made to look bad by injuries the player suffers, Nathan Brown for eg. You just have to live with it and stop ****ing whingeing you old campaigner. :tearsofjoy:
…..!!!

This guy needs to get his body right and become our work horse. When he's up and about he's actually not a bad player. There were several games where he was either bog or in top 3 players. We're gonna have a massive number of young mids join our list in next 3 seasons he's gonna have to be the sacrificial crash and bash extractor and to a lesser extent Taranto too.

Ideally we need some fast & or skilled mids to add the polish or breakaway clearances. I've seen enough of Dow to know he's not worth persisting with. Ross and Sonsie should get increased midfield exposure with our massive list turnover. May the cream rise to the top.

Jack Ginnivan is exactly the 67th highest rated medium forward in the AFL in his 4th season. Ie outside the best 3 medium forwards in an average AFL team. And you rate him an A Grader.

In Hopper's 4th season he was 44th highest rated midfielder in the AFL, ie well inside the top 3 midfielders in an average AFL team. And you rate him below average at his best.

As my little Brazilian female friend used to say - I don't think so this is true. :)

I will see if I can rustle up a drawing board for you to go back to TI. You need a big rethink.
I really wouldn't mind if he wanted it earlier amd we got a pick in the 20s back for him. But maybe the new fitness guy can get hopper to play a full season and he improves.

This guy needs to get his body right and become our work horse. When he's up and about he's actually not a bad player. There were several games where he was either bog or in top 3 players. We're gonna have a massive number of young mids join our list in next 3 seasons he's gonna have to be the sacrificial crash and bash extractor and to a lesser extent Taranto too.

Ideally we need some fast & or skilled mids to add the polish or breakaway clearances. I've seen enough of Dow to know he's not worth persisting with. Ross and Sonsie should get increased midfield exposure with our massive list turnover. May the cream rise to the top.
Ideally we should player Toranto forward in the role we are trying to get Sonsie to play. Then put Hopper in the middle with Sonsie and a quick midfielder. Or put Hopper back playing the Vlastuin type role. Toranto and Hopper in the midfield together has never really worked for us.

Ideally we should player Toranto forward in the role we are trying to get Sonsie to play. Then put Hopper in the middle with Sonsie and a quick midfielder. Or put Hopper back playing the Vlastuin type role. Toranto and Hopper in the midfield together has never really worked for us.
Put , put , put = kaput.

Obviously, TT came to us on the proviso of playing more midfield than he previously had, but IMO opinion he’s a natural as a half forward.
He’s a reasonably good set shot and can create goals.
Most of all his disposal doesn’t count against us.
Elsewhere his field kicking wavers from poor to atrocious.
Get him around the sticks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously, TT came to us on the proviso of playing more midfield than he previously had, but IMO opinion he’s a natural as a half forward.
yep, Spot on, his best is forwards of the center.

And our forward half pressure would go through the roof.

I think he's playing too heavy.
Could be contributing to the injuries as well, but I'm not a sports scientist.
Would like to see him slim down a little and be more nimble.
needs to get on the fosters

does he still have heart problems? angina? might need to turn the pacemaker up a bit so he can get out of a jog
My ex girlfriend had acute angina...and great tit.s too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22 Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back