AFL Player #22: Sam Durham

Remove this Banner Ad

22 - durham.jpg
Contract Status: Out of contract 2029
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 15, Zach Package

Last edited by a moderator:

There's a fine line between them all which is leading to a fair amount of angst league wide I'd think.

Surely it'd be simpler for everyone, including the poor bloody players that have to navigate this, to have the rule say something along the lines of - if you tackle & there is any force driving an opponents head into the ground, you are getting a week minimum. Ignore that action, ignore the number of arms free, ignore whatever, just focus on the one thing - the head slamming into the ground due to being tackled.
Nah that would never work, way too logical.
Much better to leave it up to a subjective interpretation of what "might" happen 😵‍💫

It depends on the impact of the head on the ground. Some of these do look marginal but first impact is shoulder.
If the head hits the ground while you’re dropping a player to the ground in a standing tackle you’re done. There was a tackle in the first half from merrett that he was close to getting suspended again. He’s really got to be careful with his action, as he likes to tackle to ground with force as he’s such a smaller body.

Sorry for the intrusion, I’m sure you won’t mind though.
I was told last week he has signed for 3 years.
At a guess, that may mean a 2 year extension.
In any case he’s contracted until 2026 👍🏻

Probably sits somewhere between 6-10 in terms of most important.

Desperately missed on that outer wing with his running power and overhead marking, even moreso when Ridley went off and Martin and Langford had to do a bit of defending.

Probably sits somewhere between 6-10 in terms of most important.

Desperately missed on that outer wing with his running power and overhead marking, even moreso when Ridley went off and Martin and Langford had to do a bit of defending.
Especially defensively. First time all year, it felt like they could transition the ball at will like times last year.

On top of winning us the game there were a couple of contests he hit the contested footy at pace, scooped it up and created scoring opportunities. Love him!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only did he kick the match winner, he kicked the first goal of the 4th for us too when Richmond had their biggest lead of the match...

AND he won the footy in a 2 on 1 and handballed it to Menzie over the top who ran into an open goal.

3 of our 4 last quarter goals were from his efforts.

After re-watching the last qtr I was amazed at just how much of a match-winner he was last night. As a result I put him in the votes. If it was Wayne Carey producing that sort of qtr everyone would be raving about the greatest CHF lifting his team to victory. Duz, the wiry wingman, being Careyesque…

After re-watching the last qtr I was amazed at just how much of a match-winner he was last night. As a result I put him in the votes. If it was Wayne Carey producing that sort of qtr everyone would be raving about the greatest CHF lifting his team to victory. Duz, the wiry wingman, being Careyesque…
Yeah I don’t think I noticed it in real-time but going back and watching it knowing what was coming, he was in everything. I’ve been a big wrap for him for a while but games like that give him a chance to stop being just really good and turn into something better than that

I have been as critical of Sam as anyone, it is games like last night that frustrate me as we know he is capable of such games. Just need to bridge the gap between his best and worst which will hopefully come in time.

He is less than 50 games into his AFL career so will give him benefit of the doubt he develops further

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #22: Sam Durham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back