AFL Player #22: Sam Durham

Remove this Banner Ad

22 - durham.jpg
Contract Status: Out of contract 2029
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 15, Zach Package

Last edited by a moderator:

OWNED that last play.

He could’ve McGoverned his kick but showed the composure to get us across the line. Clark was caught in two minds as to whether he should attack Zach or hold back on Duz. In the end he was caught in no-man’s-land and both of them were free to enter our forward 50 😁

OWNED that last play.

He could’ve McGoverned his kick but showed the composure to get us across the line. Clark was caught in two minds as to whether he should attack Zach or hold back on Duz. In the end he was caught in no-man’s-land and both of them were free to enter our forward 50 😁
He's a winner. We haven't had many. Knew what was required.

He's a winner. We haven't had many. Knew what was required.
A less-decisive player might’ve given the handball to his captain thus increasing the potential risk of a clanger if he misdirects, or even a fumble. He just knew what was needed and delivered. He’s a gun.

I don’t like that he’s already been pushed out of the midfield in favour of shiel and parish

I think he is coming back up to the stoppage a fair bit to be a defensive mid after a centre bounce. At least on tv he looked like he was called up a few times to stand by either Merrett or Parish.

I also don't mind, it's a long season, it's obvious he's one of the few key pieces we have going forward.

A less-decisive player might’ve given the handball to his captain thus increasing the potential risk of a clanger if he misdirects, or even a fumble. He just knew what was needed and delivered. He’s a gun.
If we're talking about increasing the risk of a clanger (or mistake in general), you've got to love the awareness to recognise the space he was in and the confidence to have a casual bounce when streaming forward at full tilt with the game on the line. He just backed himself and got the required extra yardage when other players might've taken the safe option and belted it to the top of the goal square.

You're spot on he's an absolute gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most around me thought he'd kicked the goal. Was trying to get everyone to sit down again so we could see the kick out. Also had NFI how long was left so was half expecting to see Freo go end to end :straining:
I was up the other end. I just assumed most knew it was a point. Somebody with a transistor radio has given us a heads up on time with a couple of minutes to go.

I was up the other end. I just assumed most knew it was a point. Somebody with a transistor radio has given us a heads up on time with a couple of minutes to go.
I was bottom deck wing (right behind the Freo bench) and everyone stood up as we ran it out of the middle and kept jumping around, so between that and everyone behind the goals seeming to cheer, no one could tell what was going on

I was bottom deck wing (right behind the Freo bench) and everyone stood up as we ran it out of the middle and kept jumping around, so between that and everyone behind the goals seeming to cheer, no one could tell what was going on
The atmosphere was so good for 34k. Even when Freo got their chant going, I was like "I didn't even know they had a chant, is that how you give the heave ho? Wow".

One guy who has earnt a rest. Could have got killed when he went back hands in air for a high floating ball but Joe to his credit avoided sending him into the next kingdom - not sure he would have got the same luxury with Hipwood.

Love this bloke. Hardly missed a game since we picked him up in mid season draft.
After 60ish games he is still going to get better. I remember Mark Harvey saying that he felt he had to play hard every game because he never wanted to be dropped. I think Sam has the same attitude.

Could he be a high half forward marking target as well?
pretty sure he played that in Parish's first game back and did not a bad job. I think our desperation for better ball use behind the ball is greater than what is available in the front half (Davey, Davey, Menzie)

Maybe I am just trying to cheer myself up, but Durham has that face where you can see him holding up the brownlow in a couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #22: Sam Durham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back