Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Its no coincidence that Goldy has been so durable/injury free over his career.
Yep that’s what I’m getting at
He protects himself and his body and doesn’t go back to fill the hole enough
I’d say that’s more coaching instruction than Goldy just deciding where he’ll position himself.
Happened all his career across many coaches I doubt none of them want him helping out talls in the air in defence

1 thing that annoys me about Goldy other than not being a physical ruck is he doesn’t drop back into the hole enough like a max Gawn does. He only ever really does it if the game is close in the 4th quarter

Especially on Friday when we are undersized get back there and put a bigger body in the hole instead of self preservation.
Why wasn’t he deployed down back to get inbetween the big guys on Friday? I even suggested we put Greenwood as a ruck and have Goldstein help chop out there before match selection. Why was Goldstein going back never a possibility? Even with Comben to take ruck duties

Yep that’s what I’m getting at
He protects himself and his body and doesn’t go back to fill the hole enough

Happened all his career across many coaches I doubt none of them want him helping out talls in the air in defence

So he’s gone against his coaches instructions and still managed to play 300 games.

Lack of effort, he’s pretty much rucked one out his entire career.
Lack of effort to put his body in the hole and cop some knees to the back

Self preservation

Running around one out is great and all but put your body on the line for your team is harder

Friday with our key backs out was his time to do so but he rarely did

'Goldstein lacks effort and protects himself'

Bloke has been a second midfielder for over 10 years sometimes grabbing his own ball putting himself in danger of getting hit head high. He also just doesn't take big marks late in the game, he is usually our outlet kick and normally gets stuck in the middle of the pack. Gee whiz this thread is cancerous.

He doesn't get injured because his preparation (which has been well documented) is elite. Legend of the club and champion player. Let's not spoil what a great man and player he is to still be with us too.

'Goldstein lacks effort and protects himself'

Bloke has been a second midfielder for over 10 years sometimes grabbing his own ball putting himself in danger of getting hit head high. He also just doesn't take big marks late in the game, he is usually our outlet kick and normally gets stuck in the middle of the pack. Gee whiz this thread is cancerous.

He doesn't get injured because his preparation (which has been well documented) is elite. Legend of the club and champion player. Let's not spoil what a great man and player he is to still be with us too.
thats great being an outlet kick and an extra mid

but it would be nice if he was more often an extra tall getting back to help the high ball instead of just when its a close game in the last quarter, bonar and corr and ziebell would have appreciated the extra help last friday

thats great being an outlet kick and an extra mid

but it would be nice if he was more often an extra tall getting back to help the high ball instead of just when its a close game in the last quarter
He does. He often does get back but Carlton lowered their eyes and moved the ball super quick exposing our zone. How can Goldy stop that?

Mate, there's more pressing issues than what Goldy is doing like how our forward structure is tracking as an example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

without Goldy we don't make Prelims in either of Scott's seasons. Bit of respect is due here.
It's not even worth your breath, mate. If there are 1,000 posters on here, 999 of them deem this statement so obvious it doesn't need to be said. It just so happens that the 1 is the loudest campaigner you'll ever meet. Don't engage

Goldstein has only put his body on the line once in 2014 (the final), when Jordan Lewis is in the vicinity, and anytime during contract negotiations.

Todd Goldstein strengths are his tank, smarts and skills.

If we tried to play him like Shane Mumford (who had an opposite skillset) then he'd have broken in half. But why on earth would we do that?

Was Shaun Rehn a soft ruckman for relying on his football talent rather than being a bullocking collision player?

Alright alright DarwinCorey...

I get it but sometimes you need to put your body on the line and plug the hole...for example:

when you're down KPDs against Carlton or when you're 1v1 against Steven Motlop on the wing down at Shell Stadium. Goldstein did neither.

Hope the reporters brought up the Lewis hit
Wasn't there one from Hodge as well. He just saw Goldy's head and said: "yep that's what I'm punching". I can't recall it ever getting cited. Although I may be getting Hawthorn sniping acts of the past confused...

*Edit: No I think there was a classic Hodge dog act as I remember Bruce and Dennis joking about how "Hodgie" may have got him high...

Wasn't there one from Hodge as well. He just saw Goldy's head and said: "yep that's what I'm punching". I can't recall it ever getting cited. Although I may be getting Hawthorn sniping acts of the past confused...

*Edit: No I think there was a classic Hodge dog act as I remember Bruce and Dennis joking about how "Hodgie" may have got him high...
Mitchell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back