Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

If Goldstein plays and the butterfly effect knock on is that Xerri doesn't roll an ankle at that point as he would have been rotating with Goldy. We then have two lumbering giants in our 22 and we can't keep up with WCE for 4 quarters. This is not rocket science.
Do you even watch footy? Goldstein doesn't lumber....he runs his opponents into the ground.
Xerri has had a better pre season and competes harder in the contest than Goldstein. Goldstein's game against the Dogs was soft and he was punished for it.

Was the right call and I liked Xerri's game up until he got injured.

Goldy will need to show he's invested and not just coasting on experience if he wants to stay in the team.
Show he's invested.....

You've got rocks in your head.

Still thinking whether it was Clarkson brilliance on the weekend identifying that we didn't need 2 rucks against 2 blokes that got beaten by ****ing Greenwood.. or Goldys playing for his life the next however many weeks X is missing.

Still thinking whether it was Clarkson brilliance on the weekend identifying that we didn't need 2 rucks against 2 blokes that got beaten by ******* Greenwood.. or Goldys playing for his life the next however many weeks X is missing.
i think its pretty clear this is goldys last year regardless

its X and CCJ from 2024 onwards

Welcome back multi-dick man.

Didn’t get a stack of it but I’d say he single handedly took the chocolates over the much more fancied Darcy/Jackson combo
He was exhausted in the last 10 minutes but kept going.

Ive always wondered what benefit we got from Todds Clear tap advantage. Like, i always wondered for each time he owned the tap how did we do as far as possetion retention or distance gained... Yes he got taps but we failed to win games so.. wtf? Was that coz rucks are overated, our rovers were unskillles/uncompetetive/out of sync.... I dint think Ckarko rates rucks, i wonder how Todd will prove his worth if "taps" as a stat is less valued. Can he lean how to take a mark? Today, i was proly a biased viewer, Todd tapped to the oppo as often as ro us.

Ive always wondered what benefit we got from Todds Clear tap advantage. Like, i always wondered for each time he owned the tap how did we do as far as possetion retention or distance gained... Yes he got taps but we failed to win games so.. wtf? Was that coz rucks are overated, our rovers were unskillles/uncompetetive/out of sync.... I dint think Ckarko rates rucks, i wonder how Todd will prove his worth if "taps" as a stat is less valued. Can he lean how to take a mark? Today, i was proly a biased viewer, Todd tapped to the oppo as often as ro us.
Remember the tap to Cam Zurhaar for the winning goal against Richmond last year? Goldy is one of the only rucks in the league who could pull that off, effectively communicating with his teammate, not just winning the ruck contest but tapping it so precisely that Cam could take possession while running at full speed into open space for a shot at goal. And all that after running around for 2 hours. It adds up.

Thanks for the response, I was pissed and had no recolection of that post, I pat my own back for being somewhat coherant, but it sums up a long term feeling (no stats to confirm) of mine. I recall many highlights regarding Todd, amd many North rucks, taps that worked out sweetly for us. But also many lowlights (my bias is twd negativity). I recall games where he had a million dicks but we had hardly any dominanve in un-rushed clearances.

What is the league expectations? For every 10 clear taps what should the league average team expect to happen next? My twitch is we've underperformed for goldies whole career. Ive said ages ago that yes the mids around him were a part of the problem, but so are his taps. They have to be, if my underperforming sense were true. Cant blame him for the ex Cap't hack kicking or kids trying to brake tackles but getting done or kids not following plans.. but the other instances where he gets dominant tap but nothing good happens or something bad does happen makes me cringe. I dont watch neutral games so Ive got no idea how common it is. Id wish for a post on it from that guy who does post game deep dives, but its a long way down my list of wishes.

In the coach i trust, sort of, hawks werent trending so awesome lately for him so Id heard. He didnt have Goldy in as a starter and one possible explanation is coz he dont rate his taps soooo highly. Plenty of other reasons exist, but that one tickles my fancy.

It's just rare and really hard for any ruckman to do much with hitouts, they're a very imprecise thing. having a guy who's skillful enough to occasionally work magic with one, and also strong and switched on enough to keep his opponent from being able to do as he likes with it (and this is without even getting into Goldy's work around the ground which has always been enormous for us) is about the most you could ask for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 thing that annoys me about Goldy other than not being a physical ruck is he doesn’t drop back into the hole enough like a max Gawn does. He only ever really does it if the game is close in the 4th quarter

Especially on Friday when we are undersized get back there and put a bigger body in the hole instead of self preservation.

Last edited:
1 thing that annoys me about Goldy other than not being a physical ruck is he doesn’t drop back into the hole enough like a max Gawn does. He only ever really does it if the game is close in the 4th quarter

Especially on Friday when we are undersized get back there and put a bigger body in the hole instead of self preservation.
Its no coincidence that Goldy has been so durable/injury free over his career.

I’d say that’s more coaching instruction than Goldy just deciding where he’ll position himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back