Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad but the right call. We need to move on and hand the mantle to the next young ruck like HMac and Haley to Goldy.
Would've been nice for him to be a one club player but I think that's going to be pretty rare going forward.
I would think he goes to a contending team like Cats, Pies or Port over Dons but wait and see.
Thanks Goldy!!!

"It's been a really tough decision," Goldstein said. "I've been talking to my manager and my family about what's going to be best for us going forward ... and I think that's to look for other opportunities elsewhere.

"It's probably time for the club to have a clean break and give Tristan (Xerri) the opportunity to shine in the number one ruck role.

"I appreciate everything the North Melbourne footy club and all the supporters have given me. They've been the greatest supporters I could have asked for.

"I hope for nothing but the best for this footy club and for this group going forward."

Last edited:

Goldstein (06), Ziebell (08), Cunnington (09) all gone.
We’re gonna be really young going forward.

FWIW next 3 most experienced are McDonald (13) lol, Turner (13) lol and McKay (15).

So most likely in 2024 it’ll be McDonald who has spent the most years at the club and if he’s not in the game day 22 it’s Simpkin, Larkey and Zurhaar (16).

Changing of the guard 💪🏼

Last edited:
Thanks for your service Goldy. At times it has been superb. Those times were getting fewer and fewer, so this is the right time to make a change.

For those bemoaning Xerri, I encourage you to go read from about page 20 to 40 of this thread, covering Goldy's first few years of AFL. LOTS of 'this guy is useless' commentary, and adverse comparisons to other ruckmen. Surprise, surprise - big men take time, and lots of it.

Xerri may be a long term bust, but we don't know that yet. We should have a back-up plan in case he does not improve markedly over the next 18 months, but that's just one of many gaps we have to plug so it may not be plugged quickly. In the meantime, Xerri needs more opportunities to develop in a side that needs to develop, so he'll get that now. Good luck, and here's hoping he becomes his own bag of d1cks and the literal Xerri on top of our cake.

We've been hinting he might not be best ruck for a while. He was dropped a couple of times for xerri? Goldy is better than Xerri. It must have been a slap in the face.

If he can make it work at a team like port he still might get his premiership

What a North Melbourne champion. Goldy to Cunners was fun to watch.

With Ziebs and Goldy moving on the new leaders have a clear path to lead the club forward.

If it’s to * then f*** that’s s**t
Xerri is now number 1 ruck

Tryna find the positive here other than we’re gonna be forced to look for a proper ruck now

We were ****ed if we were relying on a 35/36 y/o Goldstein in 2024 and beyond anyway hence why he was being squeezed out this year.

Xerri is capable, he's no prime Goldy and likely never will be, but he is better than he is given credit for by the BF nuffies that saw him drop a couple of marks 2 years ago and formed their opinion then and there. We rated him enough not to let him go to the Saints and Clarko rated him enough to be our starting ruck in round 1, and now (assuming he stays fit) he will get time to prove himself without the spectre of Goldstein hanging over him.

That doesn't mean we don't also need ruck depth though as after Xerri it drops off dramatically, but this was already a need with or without another season of Goldy.

I remember one of the first games he played against Gawn where he was literally so clinical and a step above, Wells was getting basketball taps and Goldy didn't have to look where he was. It was so clinical and disrespectful against an opponent learning from the best.

The bloke was our main ruck, second mid and gave us first use at every opportunity. An absolute champion player.

Gonna miss him. Farewell big man!

Last edited:
Goldstein (06), Ziebell (08), Cunnington (09) all gone.
We’re gonna be really young going forward.

FWIW next 3 most experienced are McDonald (13) lol, Turner (13) lol and McKay (15).

So most likely in 2024 it’ll be McDonald who hasn’t spent the most years at at the club and if he’s not in the game day 22 it’s Simpkin, Larkey and Zurhaar (16).

Changing of the guard💪🏼

Clarko's rebuild starts now...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame. Absolute stalwart and still best-22.

But we're rebuilding and offering a 35yo a two-year deal would have been stupid. I would have thought he'd have retired but if * have a two-year deal for him then I guess he'd have to take it. Even if you're still second-fiddle behind Draper and solely a ruckman. Could have left for flags at any time but it seems now he leaves for his superannuation. Fair enough.

I’d accepted this one was happening. Stayed loyal when there were better opportunities for him to go win a flag. So not going to begrudge him now that he’s been pushed out of the starting spot to go look for other opportunities. Good luck to him and his family… BUT, if you dare wear that sash Todd… Don’t do it.

To be expected and incredibly sad

But do I think it’s the right decision right now…..

Mad The Rock GIF

Balls in your court Xerri!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back