22 Under 22 - 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll do it club-by-club. Apologies if I've missed someone crucial.

Adelaide: Sholl, Schoenberg and Thilthorpe would all be probable squad members. Maybe Butts as well. Not sure if any of them are in the 22 yet, though.
Brisbane: Starcevich should be a lock. Bailey would be in the side right now. Can't think of anyone else that qualifies.
Carlton: Walsh. That's about it, though.
Collingwood: Think Quaynor would be thereabouts. Daicos made it last year and is still eligible (born in November) but probably hasn't quite stood out enough for the 22. Would Poulter be in the mix if he goes as well for the rest of the season as he's started?
Essendon: Ridley was an October birth so is still eligible and presumably makes it. Cox and maybe Perkins for the squad. Draper's birthday is a couple of days after the GF so I think he still qualifies, but would have to do very well given his injury to have a shot.
Fremantle: Brayshaw has to be there. Cerra probably will be there by the end of the season. Serong would at least be in the squad. Again can't think of anyone else that qualifies though Frederick might've had a shot but for injury.
Geelong: This is an Under 22 side, not an Over 32 side :p
Gold Coast: King is a lock; Powell, Anderson and Lukosius would be thereabouts. Rankine might have a chance too whereas Rowell could push for it with a dominant second half of the season.
GWS: Taylor was a lock pre-injury, might still have a crack if he gets back quickly enough. Green and Ash thereabouts.
Hawthorn: CJ would probably be in the side now. If Scrimshaw was born a few weeks later he'd be thereabouts, too. Worpel, Morrison, Kozi and Moore all maybes; Day a chance if he gets back to his pre-injury form.
Melbourne: Pickett a lock. Jackson probably a lock because of the paucity of other rucks. Jordon and Rivers would be thereabouts.
North Melbourne: Thomas and (pending that injury didn't hurt his momentum) Stephenson would be in the mix. Powell a good chance for the squad at least, whereas Bonar might've had a chance pre-injury.
Port Adelaide: Rozee has a shot if he blitzes the second half of the year, Butters and Duursma make it if it wasn't for their injury. Drew might have a shot at the squad.
Richmond: Bolton was born in November so has to be there, Balta would probably be in the side right now too. CCJ's probably started too late given that there are plenty of other options in his position.
St Kilda: Higgins would be thereabouts. Clark similar to Daicos as a 2020 player who probably hasn't done quite enough to make it (and now he'll miss weeks with a broken jaw...) King's probably played himself out of it.
Sydney: Surprisingly tough to find players that would definitely make it, most of the youth has been more 'impact' than 'consistency'. Warner and McCartin would be at least a squad member, Gulden and Rowbottom maybes with strong second halves of the season. McInerney and Wicks maybes for the squad.
West Coast: Allen. Petrucelle might have a shot at the squad.
Western Bulldogs: Naughton is a lock. Smith is borderline as to whether he deserves it but I think his rep gets him in. If Weightman he keeps up his form he'll go very close.
Fair effort

Problem with Day is that he's only played the three matches so far. And was pretty quiet on Friday.
Yep.
Had missed 10 weeks, comes back after playing no footy at all in that time and plays as the loose man that sits in front of Franklin, and subsequently allows Scrimshaw and CJ to play with a bit more freedom. Kids an absolute jet, but he has missed most of this year.

B: Brandon Starcevich - Noah Balta - Jordan Ridley
HB: Changkouth Jiath - Sam Taylor - Trent Rivers
C: Adam Cerra - Andrew Brayshaw - Bailey Smith
HF: Zac Bailey - Aaron Naughton - Jack Higgins
F: Kysaiah Pickett - Ben King - Oscar Allen
R: Luke Jackson - Sam Walsh - Shai Bolton
I: Wil Powell - Jack Lukosius - Isaac Quaynor - Noah Anderson

Stiff to miss: Lachie Ash - Harry Schoenberg - Tom Green - James Jordon - Nik Cox
Good effort.

I predict by season's end we'll all have Rowell, Serong and Thillthorpe as starters.

I've probably watched less football this year than usual so I might be pretty far off

FB: Ballard McCartin Starcevich
HB: Jiath Taylor Rivers
C: Cerra Rowbottom Clark
HF: Bailey Naughton Wicks
FF: Pickett B/King Thilthorpe
R: Jackson Walsh Bolton
I/C: Allen Ridley Warner Brayshaw

Problem with Day is that he's only played the three matches so far. And was pretty quiet on Friday.
Yeah I wouldn't have him in if it's a 2021 team that's why I asked the member who put up his attempt if it was a potential based one or based on this year.

Although he was quite how he was used shows where he stands at hawthorn. He was brought straight back into the team when 1st available and given one of the most important roles in the defensive unit. It's no surprise CJ and scrimshaw had a good games now neither had to worry about plugging the holes. That was left to Hardwick and Day.

If it's a potential based one Day is the first BP picked imo.

Backline really tough to get into
Taylor, CJ, Day are all quality.
Yeah no doubt, I would have CJ in if it's a 2021 based team. If it's overall/potential I'd have Day in and maybe CJ just misses, Kosi probably just misses as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some serious underrating of Tarryn Thomas on this thread. By default averages 1.2 goals and 15 disposals and over the past 5 weeks been averaging 18 disposals, 1.8 goals and 1.2 assists so if he can continue on that he is a lock.

Who will be captain? I'd humbly suggest Walsh but I fully admit I don't watch that many non-Carlton games (yeah .. poor me), so who would be the other candidates?

Imagine going to all the trouble of picking a team.and then totally invalidating your opinion by not including Thilthorpe. He is the most talented player under 22 (read: also any age bracket) in the comp bar none.
For mine he has already blown by the King brothers. Is going to be immense for the next decade and a half. :thumbsu:

Some serious underrating of Tarryn Thomas on this thread. By default averages 1.2 goals and 15 disposals and over the past 5 weeks been averaging 18 disposals, 1.8 goals and 1.2 assists so if he can continue on that he is a lock.

He's been good as of late, but numbers like those can make arguments for many players.

Dylan Moore has averaged 17.7 disposals, 2.75 tackles, 5 marks and 1.5 goals a game over the past month. Top 10 for tackles inside forward 50. Kicked 15.7 for the season which is a great conversion also. Not saying he'd be a lock for this side, but if this was a rolling All Australian side i'd probably be considering him or Thomas over Jack Higgins right now.

He's been good as of late, but numbers like those can make arguments for many players.

Dylan Moore has averaged 17.7 disposals, 2.75 tackles, 5 marks and 1.5 goals a game over the past month. Top 10 for tackles inside forward 50. Kicked 15.7 for the season which is a great conversion also. Not saying he'd be a lock for this side, but if this was a rolling All Australian side i'd probably be considering him or Thomas over Jack Higgins right now.

Got a feeling that Thomas and Moore should be in over Higgins but won't simply because they play for bottom teams.

Since your original mention Moore has grown game by game. I think David King pointed it out yesterday and said he was rated the 5th best small forward for 2021 which was really surprising since our forward line is terrible and he is still such a young player.

Since your original mention Moore has grown game by game. I think David King pointed it out yesterday and said he was rated the 5th best small forward for 2021 which was really surprising since our forward line is terrible and he is still such a young player.
Pretty much every one of our available players have copped injuries throughout this year, apart from Moore and Kosi.

Could've seen CJ, Day, Moore, Kosi and DGB all putting their hand up for this squad if not for injury.

I've probably watched less football this year than usual so I might be pretty far off

FB: Ballard McCartin Starcevich
HB: Jiath Taylor Rivers
C: Cerra Rowbottom Clark
HF: Bailey Naughton Wicks
FF: Pickett B/King Thilthorpe
R: Jackson Walsh Bolton
I/C: Allen Ridley Warner Brayshaw

Bailey Smith > Warner & Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

22 Under 22 - 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back