Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep I remember the sack Wally Carter thread Passmore started after the 1950 GF loss.

And he was bloody harsh on Jock McCorkell imo.

"A pub newsletter column at the time (1950) written under the moniker "The Precisse One" dubbed Jim Malone as 'crafty' and mocked his lack of height and kicking depth, often using the derogatory term 'refusemen'".

"A pub newsletter column at the time (1950) written under the moniker "The Precisse One" dubbed Jim Malone as 'crafty' and mocked his lack of height and kicking depth, often using the derogatory term 'refusemen'".
Well, it seems the world has always been full of pricks :p

Look, I bloody loved Jock. Never convinced about Reg Ryan though.

Kevin Dynon = The know that..

Gerald Marchesi = The on Anzac Day

Don Condon = The XXL

Wally Carter = The where's

Jesus, the backline. Surprised the opposition wanted to front up to that !

Regarded by some I have spoken to as one of the hardest nastiest back lines in the history of the VFL. Our 90’s backline was pretty intimidating also.

Was catching the 57 tram home after an MCG game many moons ago. Had my trusty Roo hat & jacket on and an old fella got on at the Vic.Market / Stork hotel. Sat next to me and started chatting, how'd North go etc. Said he had played a few games for North, but l wouldn't know him. One Pat Kelly. But my pop and dad brung me up the right way and l knew the stories. He lived in Flemington rd.opposite Royal Park.

Nice fella, but l'd hate to be playing in the forward pocket.

Ben McKay has been paid way overs in our salary cap to meet ceilings year on year. If he leaves, he is nothing short of a scum bag who has used our great club to be paid overs for under achieving.

I’m in the ship this campaigner off as soon as humanly possible camp. **** him, his dog and his twin brother.

Ben McKay has been paid way overs in our salary cap to meet ceilings year on year. If he leaves, he is nothing short of a scum bag who has used our great club to be paid overs for under achieving.

I’m in the ship this campaigner off as soon as humanly possible camp. * him, his dog and his twin brother.

DY at least you can never be accused of fence sitting lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure why Carlton structurally see him as such a necessity given the money reportedly on offer.

I guess if McGovern leaves.

In any case, if he goes via FA we simply match the bid and force a trade.

I'm no expert, but everyone is saying this is a strong draft and having potentially 3 picks inside the top 12 (one of which we could trade for a gun player with), could set us up for the next decade, on top of the strong base we already have in regards to young talent.

Love your passion DY, but how would you possibly know Ben was the beneficiary of us pumping up salaries to meet the cap ceiling?

(Btw I agree with your 2nd sentence regardless)

bullshit.gif

Jock McCorkell went alright.

He is many around here’s favourites for doing what exactly? Seems a Low bar. What has he done? He’s 25? Turning 26 this year? In 6 years he’ll be on the out, retiring or heading to geelong for the retirement village on mega cash cheques in his back pocket from Frank Costa.

Whats his highest bnf finish been? 6th in 2021? Being a CHB/FB in a team thats been smashed year in year out? How many top 5’s he had? 1 top 10?

I'm sure Frank would love to return to this mortal world to do just that, but I doubt its going to happen.

So do I but McKay is alright.

He has gone hard at the ball and copped a few hard whacks for the club.

Yeah I've never been an as strong believer in McKay as others, and I've no issue with how the majority view him.

I think we'll be bottom four and I'd take pick 5 for him every day of the week, but don't tell anyone cause I don't need the grief :p

I think he’s a good full back, I think a key back group of McKay, Logue and Corr compliment each other very well. Hopefully we get them all fit and cohesive it should be great.

That said if pick 5 is on the table that’s very good compensation

Yeah I've never been an as strong believer in McKay as others, and I've no issue with how the majority view him.

I think we'll be bottom four and I'd take pick 5 for him every day of the week, but don't tell anyone cause I don't need the grief :p
He's definitely a good backman but he'd need to be more attacking off the backline to be absolutely elite.

I'd rather we kept him tho.

But KPDs are the last piece of the puzzle imo and there will be some available when we look like pushing deep into September.

Having Logue puts McKay in perspective. Both at a similar level imo, similar age etc etc. Logue points alot I've noticed. As long as he's organising the back line that's good. We saw how disorganised our backline became when we got rid of our last excessive pointer.

Love your passion DY, but how would you possibly know Ben was the beneficiary of us pumping up salaries to meet the cap ceiling?

(Btw I agree with your 2nd sentence regardless)
There is no way our team is paid at 100% cap on individual contracts. Not a chance in hell. I would think its ~ 90% of the cap. All our players would of been topped up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back