Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

While l cant see Ben leaving what other players are available to approach from other clubs to play FB. l think we need to find an established player rather than picking up a young player in the draft to fill his spot for the future...Having Logue, Corr and Dawson on hand is good but l would like to have another big player in the backline..any FA players coming up?

While l cant see Ben leaving what other players are available to approach from other clubs to play FB. l think we need to find an established player rather than picking up a young player in the draft to fill his spot for the future...Having Logue, Corr and Dawson on hand is good but l would like to have another big player in the backline..any FA players coming up?
You dont need to the best defender from another club as Griff is the best defender at our club. You need someone that can read the play and work in unison and with Griff

So, does snozz get in BMac's ear with the tale of the other Ben who was convinced by his agent that he'd land a mega win on his contract, or even the other Ben who encountered an unexpected illness that could have ended up very differently. I'm not joking by saying that - the old idiom about the bird in the hand exists for a reason.
Good question.

Let’s say another club offers him $800k he is happy to stay if we match it but compo would be pick 3 (presuming we finish 17th).

Would we be happy to let Bmac go for pick 3?

On the other thread someone hears TT is looking to be back then

Couple of handy ins.

Bring in Goldy/Corr over the journey we will have competition for spots…..for the first time in a long time
A very long time.

I'm trying to think back. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I can't recall we had fierce competition for spots since ... the Pagan era. Can't remember all that much competition through the Laidley and Scott years.

Let’s say another club offers him $800k he is happy to stay if we match it but compo would be pick 3 (presuming we finish 17th).

I wouldn’t be happy about it.
There are no experienced KPDs who are both OOC and as good as Bmac this offseason to use pick 3 on. Let alone one in the right age demographic.
We should be playing finals next year, not getting stuck in a GC-style holding pattern of acquiring and losing first round picks.
Let’s win some bloody games already.

No. If he decides to walk then pick 3 eases the pain a bit, but you can’t be showing 25yo KPD the door willingly.

Himmelberg!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some OOC defenders include:

Caleb Marchbank
Esava Ratogolea
Harry Himmelberg
Noah Balta
Jeremy McGovern

The bottom 3 I’d imagine would be targets if McKay was to leave.

Meanwhile McKay gave the most positive outlook on his future on Saturday on Triple M when he made clear he had never been happier at the club.
The Herald Sun reported this year he was likely to wait until the season got under way to consider his future, with Port Adelaide a likely suitor.
But he said he hoped the contract would “sort itself out” with the club.
“I think first and foremost I am really happy with where things are at. I have had good conversations with the club. And it is a conversation between my family, my manager and myself to keep in-house but I am loving the club.
“The last three or four months has been the best I have had in my seven years and the changes we have had with Clarko (new coach Alastair Clarkson) and Todd Viney and the maturity of the group has been really good from a holistic perspective and I understand the talk but I am really happy and it will come to a point through the year where it will sort itself out but for now I am pretty happy.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back