Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

While still hoping that Ben stays, one matter that just might be front and centre in the minds of our list management people, is that in a couple of years time, if our fortunes start to turn upwards, on the back of our last few years drafting, we are going to be faced with some salary cap headaches trying to fit in some of these boys. We may have plenty of cap space now, but things can change quickly.
Maybe that Ben and Logue didnt gell, Ben wants big bucks and the one without contract. Corr improved as the year went on so hard to say with him.

"Everyone at North Melbourne is bracing for him to request a trade."

I heard this and thought Sydney may have told Ben they will not bid through Free Agency.
If he wants $800k, he'll have to ask North to work out a trade with Sydney.

What happens if Ben says, I want to go to Sydney, but Sydney never make a Free Agency bid because they know doing so would land North Pick 3.

If he goes via free agency all it costs the swans is money, if they want to do a trade it will cost their own draft picks. Swans don't have trach history of dicking clubs around, they also have track history of forking out money for players they want. I doubt Ben would want to screw us on the way out. I am more likely to hook up with a supermodel than for this outcome to pan out.

Sydney don't want to hand Pick 3 to North.
They know this will happen if they offer $800,000.
If they offered, say $650,000 - North might match it.

If McKay forces a trade, Sydney get their man without giving North Pick 3, and McKay gets his $800k.
If a trade can't be made, there was no bid, so McKay wouldn't have to accept a contract from North.

He'd probably have to sit the year out (maybe half a year), then nominate for the mid-season or next years draft with an $800,000 price tag.

It forces North to trade at fair value, or risk losing him for nothing.
Why would Sydney want to force a trade when they can get him for nothing but cap space? Seems stupid to lowball just to stop us getting Pick 3. It only pushes their Pick back by 1 spot and they get him with out giving up any draft capital.

Maybe that Ben and Logue didnt gell, Ben wants big bucks and the one without contract. Corr improved as the year went on so hard to say with him.

I wouldn't read too much into it, we have been extremely uncompetitive for the vast majority of Ben's time here, the ball is coming into our defensive 50 without a lot of pressure most of the time and our defensive zone is Swiss cheese. I would imagine all defenders aren't enjoying their footy and if you multiply that year after year I can understand the frustration and don't blame anyone who wants a fresh start.

That being said, things can change fairly rapidly.

Why would Sydney want to force a trade when they can get him for nothing but cap space? Seems stupid to lowball just to stop us getting Pick 3. It only pushes their Pick back by 1 spot and they get him with out giving up any draft capital.

They aren't going to lowball when there are three other clubs who also would like him. If he goes into the draft he could end up somewhere he doesn't want to be.

While still hoping that Ben stays, one matter that just might be front and centre in the minds of our list management people, is that in a couple of years time, if our fortunes start to turn upwards, on the back of our last few years drafting, we are going to be faced with some salary cap headaches trying to fit in some of these boys. We may have plenty of cap space now, but things can change quickly.
Hence my comment: Or, put another way, from a list management/total talent perspective, we're saving on Ben to pay (for example) Tarryn.

If he goes via free agency all it costs the swans is money, if they want to do a trade it will cost their own draft picks. Swans don't have trach history of dicking clubs around, they also have track history of forking out money for players they want. I doubt Ben would want to screw us on the way out. I am more likely to hook up with a supermodel than for this outcome to pan out.
From a cost of living point of view, if you're living in Sydney you want to be near the water....that doesn't come cheap. Probably no difference between an 800k contract in sydney and a 700k one in Melbourne after tax. I don't think there'd be any question re Swans triggering band 1 compo for us.

From a cost of living point of view, if you're living in Sydney you want to be near the water....that doesn't come cheap. Probably no difference between an 800k contract in sydney and a 700k one in Melbourne after tax. I don't think there'd be any question re Swans triggering band 1 compo for us.

Yeah, cost of living is a bit higher but it isn't really a factor for someone earning $800k.

Housing is more expensive, but that is going to appreciate in value so he wont lose money on it, it becomes an investment.

Are you taking the piss?

Actually I did see that after I posted, but I thought I would leave mine anyway as I wasn't sure if WITW may have needed an explanation.
No not taking the piss or having a go at you, sorry. Wasn't sure if you'd seen my post. Not sure if WITW has seen either of our posts so I'll move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re gonna let a player you want to sign, go entertain offers and contracts with other clubs without even given them any offer to stay?

If we actually want a player we give him a contract. You know, the normal process of obtaining or keeping a player haha

It’s all a bit bizarre
Depends on the preliminary conversation they had with Ben's management. If they said something along the lines of "Ben is open to staying but will test whatever offer you make against the market and won't make a decision until the season is over" then it is not a bad ploy for them to say we'll hold our offer until then as well.

Yeah, it just means there has been open and honest communication. Yeah Ben we want you to stay, but we understand you could get offered a sh1t ton of cash, and in return the club could get pick 3. If that's something you want to pursue, lets see where the offers come in. If you are adamant about being a North Melbourne player, we'll sit down and nut out a contract.
I'm sure they have had ongoing conversations and agreed to see what his "market value" is before negotiating a contract. I'd be pretty disappointed in the club if they are just ignoring him until he gets another offer. Us putting an offer on the table has just as much likelihood of p155ing him off if it is not near what the other clubs offer.

Depends on the preliminary conversation they had with Ben's management. If they said something along the lines of "Ben is open to staying but will test whatever offer you make against the market and won't make a decision until the season is over" then it is not a bad ploy for them to say we'll hold our offer until then as well.
Ben - Im worth x

North - no ya ****in not, turn it up campaigner.

Ben - watch, lets see my largest offer

Band 1

North - Wow, what do we do now?

Sydney don't want to hand Pick 3 to North.
They know this will happen if they offer $800,000.
If they offered, say $650,000 - North might match it.

If McKay forces a trade, Sydney get their man without giving North Pick 3, and McKay gets his $800k.
If a trade can't be made, there was no bid, so McKay wouldn't have to accept a contract from North.

He'd probably have to sit the year out (maybe half a year), then nominate for the mid-season or next years draft with an $800,000 price tag.

It forces North to trade at fair value, or risk losing him for nothing.
Then the Hawks swoop, Sydney miss their man and BM misses 6 months of salary and a preseason learning the new team.

We’ll replace him with a better KPD, so that it’s not just Corr out there next year.

*Checks who the best available KPD on the market is *

… never mind

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back