AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Adds wing to resume - 23/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Pressure from Nate Caddy will get the best out of himself

Its been a while since his spot has been under stress

Langford forward and recruit of a guy whos performing very well in Caddy means he needs to switch on

TBF we tried with Weideman and he was just not good enough and HJ was injured the entire time anyway
I must admit I thought they were going to give Harrison a two year deal as he wasn’t really omitted from the side he just got injured from my recollection correct me if I’m wrong?

The fact they gave him one, I see that as they are putting a rocket under him to perform. I hope he does.

Caddy and Jones high HF would be hard to match up on. Jones reads the ball in flight very well.

Jones, along with Cox & Reid are virtually new recruits. Pressure for spots will be intense if they can stay fit.

VFL side should be much stronger this year.
One thing I noticed at draft time was Dodo was referring to the list as a squad.

I interpret this as the footy department realising that players will be in and of the team due to injuries or suspension so they want to build that depth and mentality in the playing group that if they are stuck in the VFL but are doing all the right things they will keep them on the list. Doesn’t hurt to have backup if a key player goes down.

I’m not talking about players like Voss and etc who performed well in the VFL but were seen to have limitations at AFL level. They want a pool of 6 to 10 players at least who can come in and perform at the highest level because that’s what it takes to win a premiership.

Caddy and Jones high HF would be hard to match up on. Jones reads the ball in flight very well.

Jones, along with Cox & Reid are virtually new recruits. Pressure for spots will be intense if they can stay fit.

VFL side should be much stronger this year.
Caddy unless smashing the door down or injury to 2MP, HJ, Stringer or Langford means he can wait. But future wise he can play with the other 3 taking Stringers spot

I must admit I thought they were going to give Harrison a two year deal as he wasn’t really omitted from the side he just got injured from my recollection correct me if I’m wrong?

The fact they gave him one, I see that as they are putting a rocket under him to perform. I hope he does.
Before it was announced i got word it was 2 years but then announced as the surprising 1

I still believe its 2 but with the triggers based on his games total

Caddy unless smashing the door down or injury to 2MP, HJ, Stringer or Langford means he can wait. But future wise he can play with the other 3 taking Stringers spot

Before it was announced i got word it was 2 years but then announced as the surprising 1

I still believe its 2 but with the triggers based on his games total
I hadn’t heard that well I interpret that as:

Harrison we rate you but we are putting a rocket underneath you to perform and get out on the park more often”.

GIF by Saturday Night Live

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah that's just lighting and stuff.
Yes - it was just bad lighting in the draft day photo as well. He was massive and has actually trimmed down since then :)
He's obviously put on weight since he was drafted. I'm just saying he's still skinny, which he unquestionably is.

Can think of another hard running CHF that was never super big, just outworked his opponent. That's what Jones should be modelling his game on.

iu
Agree, I actually don't think his build is an issue. He was flying into packs in 2021(?), any strength will be a bonus.

I was a big believer in Jones, but the last couple of years I started to doubt his mentality, started to look scared to kick goals, maybe that's on me and not reality. Keen to watch him get a clean run at it, really hope he makes it, we'd be a much better team if he does.
Even if he doesnt, im not fussed. Trial him back atleast beforehand though

Caddy will be the man in 2026 anyway

HJs challenge if still around will be can he make selectors pick him alongside Langford, 2MP and Caddy as the 4th because 3 of the 4 move very well

Can think of another hard running CHF that was never super big, just outworked his opponent. That's what Jones should be modelling his game on.

iu

Agree, I actually don't think his build is an issue. He was flying into packs in 2021(?), any strength will be a bonus.
Agree. Not saying he can go to Nicks level but if he is going to be anything then Harry will be a more mobile lead up type so he does not have to be a monster. Just has to sort out the hands. Will be interesting to see if some fitness base changes his form as he has played a lot of footy at 3/4 fit in the last 2 years.

I actually see a future Josh Kennedy with Harry Jones. It doesnt appear hes going to quite get to his size unless it jist happens 2-3 years later than Kennedy

He has some elite traits.

Height
Reach
Running power of a guy his size
Agility for a guy his size
Accuracy

Attached is an image Of JK i believe at a similar time to the one Harrison Jones took before in their development

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240119_223908_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240119_223908_Samsung Internet.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 50
Size and ability has never been Jones' shortfalls, it's his ability to stay on the park that worries the majority of the masses

size as in height? ok i guess

but he is lacking in the KG's massively. He will never be successful until he bulks up. He is FAR too easily moved off the ball in marking contests. he doesnt need to be a massive guy by any means, but last few years hed be blown off his feet in a strong breeze.

His great attribute is his endurance, he can run defenders off their legs. But without the ability to hit the scoreboard. It's a bit useless.

From photos looks like he has bulked up a little, but has a way to get yet. good signs.

I actually see a future Josh Kennedy with Harry Jones. It doesnt appear hes going to quite get to his size unless it jist happens 2-3 years later than Kennedy

He has some elite traits.

Height
Reach
Running power of a guy his size
Agility for a guy his size
Accuracy

Attached is an image Of JK i believe at a similar time to the one Harrison Jones took before in their development
I'll add that he reads the flight of the ball better than most. That is what stood out for me.

Floating across/in front of packs is his thing. Showing my age but when I first saw him he reminded me of a Royce Hart type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back