Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

A young lady (I assume) by the name of Clare made a comment at the end of the Herald Sun article today saying that Greenwood's signing of a new contract will be announced at the B&F night on Friday. Hope she is correct.
Sorry, dunno why, but your post made me think of this..:$

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.

Wonder if we're about to trade him.

As improved as he was, we don't lack inside players. There has to be an element of buy low / sell high going through their heads - particularly if Levi isn't that worried about staying and wants to ensure that after several years in and out that he is set financially to retirement out of his next contract.

Levi's manager is Liam Pickering, who coincidentally lost a few of his high profile clients ( Buddy, ? Swan ) lately, would be waiting on the B and F results to leverage a better deal for the both of them, on his performance this year, Levi is entitled to a payrise, and IMO, the $350k mentioned in todays Hun article by Jay Clark is a bit lower than i would rate him, dont reckon he is going anywhere.

I think $350K as a base is fair enough, with incentives to earn more based on performance measures. The challenge for him is to back up his 2014 with an equally good 2015 and beyond, and that the contract rewards him for doing so.

He hasn't suddenly become a half a million dollar man on the basis of 12 months.

As improved as he was, we don't lack inside players.

Not so sure. Swallow and Greenwood are our only consistent win ball, run all day, tackle like maniac types. Levi also finds the goals consistently.

I see Cunnington as a different type, I'd rather him receiving the handball and setting up a runner rather than burrowing in. Ziebs is not a reliable pure mid imo and there's no way I'd have faith in Bastinac to lead the way in the middle despite his natural skill and endurance in this area.

Plus the whole unit gels better with Levi sharing the loading with Swallow et al and allowing Ziebs/Cunnington to creep forward.

I don't believe Levi is surplus to needs in any way. You need your midfield to bat deep. If anything I'd be happy to add Dumont to the senior mix if Jacobs stutters this preseason.

Not so sure. Swallow and Greenwood are our only consistent win ball, run all day, tackle like maniac types. Levi also finds the goals consistently.

I see Cunnington as a different type, I'd rather him receiving the handball and setting up a runner rather than burrowing in. Ziebs is not a reliable pure mid imo and there's no way I'd have faith in Bastinac to lead the way in the middle despite his natural skill and endurance in this area.

Plus the whole unit gels better with Levi sharing the loading with Swallow et al and allowing Ziebs/Cunnington to creep forward.

I don't believe Levi is surplus to needs in any way. You need your midfield to bat deep. If anything I'd be happy to add Dumont to the senior mix if Jacobs stutters this preseason.

I don't disagree with what he adds. Dumont to come as well as Jacobs. McDonald will be a mid and will put on a lot of size based on the old man. We're not short of big mid depth in the medium term. Like I said, I value his contribution but if it meant getting a player that fills a more desparate long term need you would simply have to look at it. I'll be more than happy if he gets a new contract.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/le...t-talks-continue/story-fndv8rij-1227074360180

interesting reading..."Industry sources estimated Greenwood, 25, was worth about $350,000 a season the back of his dazzling onball performance this season.
But it is believed North’s contract is worth significantly less and includes performance-based incentives.....North Melbourne has increased its offer to Greenwood from one season to two."

If this article is to be believed, no wonder talks have dragged out.

I agree Greenwood is worth $350k. But perhaps we're thinking, Ok Levi thats one good year when contract negotiations were up (how many players seem to lift for that?) - what if we offer you $250 with incentives to earn $350 if you can back it up. We'll just make it a one year thing for now and happy to look at a 2-3 years X $350 if it is backed up.

I'd love him to stay, but his links to loose cannons like Dusty and Edwards may be the reason there seems to be a lack of intensity when it comes to re-signing him. #culture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond board reckon he is only worth a second rounder. They claim we overate our players.
Greenwood would walk into any side including Hawks let alone Richmonds and be 2nd only to Cotchin in their midfield.
SIGN HIM UP NOW NORTH AND STOP TOYING WITH IDEA OF TRADING HIM.

Richmond board reckon he is only worth a second rounder. They claim we overate our players.
Greenwood would walk into any side including Hawks let alone Richmonds and be 2nd only to Cotchin in their midfield.
SIGN HIM UP NOW NORTH AND STOP TOYING WITH IDEA OF TRADING HIM.

No wonder Richmond are after him. A player who knows the value of working hard to achieve your goals? He'd be the only one on their list.

I smell something fishy going on. Are we gonna make a big trade? Can we somehow trade up to a pick 3 with Melbourne by offering up Greenwood and a 2nd round pick. Could we be a chance to pick up Brayshaw? It just seems to me that f they didn't have something big planned that we would have signed Greenwood up by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

Back