AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because physically he is not ready maybe. He gets 90% game time in the VFL compared to 60 to 70% in the AFL.

He certainly looks ready to me. I'd rather him get 60% AFL game time now to see how he goes with Draper, then let McBride get 50/50 minutes with Phillips in the VFL.

He certainly looks ready to me. I'd rather him get 60% AFL game time now to see how he goes with Draper, then let McBride get 50/50 minutes with Phillips in the VFL.
He is still 5 to 10 kg too light. He is a 20 year old ruck. There is no rush. Not like we are winning a flag in the next two year’s.

Nick Bryan​

Key stats: 15 disposals, 47 hitouts, four marks, three tackles

"He won a lot of hitouts. We didn't really gain as much as we did from his dominance at centre bounce. He put himself in dangerous positions in attack, worked hard to help our defence, and took some nice contested marks. He wasn't feeling that well, but when the game was there to be won, he played to win. He didn't complain that he was sick and just kept going, which I really like about him."

Nick Bryan

Key stats: 14 disposals, 26 hitouts, four marks

“It’s probably the first time he’s been beaten in the hitouts for a long time by Tom Campbell who’s a good old-school ruckman. I thought he was able to still have an impact on the game. The longer the game went, the more involvements he had. He really helped us with his positioning and running patterns and his effort was there all day. Although he got beaten in the hitouts, he was a a valuable contributor to the team.”

Reckon he was shaded by Moyle today, who had the better of the second half.

Been a bit lazy. Some second efforts need cleaning up. It's getting late in his first full year of adult footy and it looks that way.

I still think he'll be a really good player but it will be a slow burn. He's considered to be a more advanced footballer than Draper, and he is, and yet Draper led the ruck for the second half of his 2nd year and was a premier ruck in the vfl in his 3rd year.

It's very hard to be Bryan's height and weight while playing ruck.

I guess we just have to keep reminding ourselves he's not yet 21, and a whole 4months older than Moyle.

I also quite like the look of Moyle.

The guy is probably the second or third best ruck in the VFL at worst. Time to play him.

Absolutely agree and if we don't play him soon someone will come knocking (very likely the Saints).
He was easily BOG imho.

Has certainly benefitted from some continuity of genuine game-time as primary ruck. Think with another preseason of weight on to him he'll be pushing for a regular best-22 slot.

He's the finesse to Drapers brute force.

Absolutely agree and if we don't play him soon someone will come knocking (very likely the Saints).
He was easily BOG imho.
The only bloke who got close to him was Bernacki
Has certainly benefitted from some continuity of genuine game-time as primary ruck. Think with another preseason of weight on to him he'll be pushing for a regular best-22 slot.

He's the finesse to Drapers brute force.
I do wish we'd see him and Phillips in tandem to allow him more forward time admittedly

The only bloke who got close to him was Bernacki

I do wish we'd see him and Phillips in tandem to allow him more forward time admittedly

Last few weeks of the VFL season is a good chance to give him time up forward if that's an area they want to improve.

Phillips for Stewart at AFL level means we can run Phillips in the ruck and Bryan up forward for a few weeks to end the season.

He was easily BOG imho.

I suppose it's a risk with any player but I can't see a club offering him the playing time required for him to leave.

He's not a number 1 next year. It took a much more physically advanced Draper until year 5 at the earliest, if you allow for injury interruptions. Even then he started this year poorly and has been exposed by seasoned rucks in year 6.

If Bryan's not a number 1 next year he'd be leaving to be the understudy elsewhere. Not many players make that move as 21 year olds.

Last edited:
Last few weeks of the VFL season is a good chance to give him time up forward if that's an area they want to improve.

Phillips for Stewart at AFL level means we can run Phillips in the ruck and Bryan up forward for a few weeks to end the season.
Yep. Run them as a duo, plus our last two VFL games (have a bye last round) aren't against strong rucks so they should be able to dominate as a tandem

Yep. Run them as a duo, plus our last two VFL games (have a bye last round) aren't against strong rucks so they should be able to dominate as a tandem

Some tag team domination you say?

berlin dominatrix GIF by Team Coco

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose it's a risk with any player but I can't see a club offering him the playing time required for him to leave.

He's not a number 1 next year. It took a much more physically advanced Draper until year 5 at the earliest, if you allow for injury interruptions. Even then he started this year poorly and has been exposed by seasoned rucks in year 6.

If Bryan's not a number 1 next year he'd be leaving to be the understudy elsewhere. Not many players make that move as 21 year olds.
I'm well aware of that as he has a contract for 2023 but it won't stop other clubs from sniffing around. He has a ton of potential and other clubs aren't blind to the fact. No harm in giving him a run for the last couple of games. An extra bonus is he is quite capable of playing CHB at a pinch.

Geelong, too.

Port, Adelaide and West Coast have the weakest 3 to 7 year ruck divisions. Indications are that Melbourne could be the real danger as an appealing destination for Bryan.

Saints have Ryder, Marshall and then Heath. Marshall just signed a monster deal that takes Bryan well into his prime. Heath, a guy who is a bit of a meat axe, maybe 12 months younger than Bryan, did well against Bryan when they went head to head. They took Heath after they tried to sign Bryan, IIRC.

Cats have Toby Conway and Esava and Neale (as the second ruck). I doubt they are going to expend draft capital and salary cap on a player they probably don't rate as highly as Conway (who has a physique which is probably already more adult than Bryan) and who isn't going to add physical presence and maturity. If they need someone it is Lloyd Meek to be able to bash his way through a stoppage next year.

Port have Lycett. Hayes appears to have significant mobility issues which brings into question his ability as an AFL player. Teakle is unlikely to play his best footy as a number 1 - he doesn't have the grunt and got noticed for his ability forward and for his mobility.

Adelaide have ROB. Very solid grunt but virtually nothing else (sorry Dero). You'd think Thilthorpe settles forward.

West Coast have Nic Nat who can't get on the park and Williams, who hasn't done much at all. Their depth are WAFL standard players who do not look to me to be AFL level rucks (due to lack of size and athleticism).

If Melbourne was to lose Jackson they have neither a second ruck in a best 22 nor a depth ruckman. I haven't heard them linked to anyone yet.

Everyone else has a good range of options.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back