AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMPROVEMENTS:
Consistency
Scoreboard impact
Contested marking
While it might be said Bryan did not produce the hype that many had thought pre-season, the hype surrounding a 202cm player should always be fraught with danger. His best is very impressive, with his ruck work, vertical leap and athleticism highlights of his game. But at the end of the day, outside the top elite talents in each draft, most talls are still raw and developing, and Bryan, considering he has not had as much time in an elite system compared to some, is no different. It is more his presence around the ground with his contested marking and scoreboard impact, playing a role as a forward and consistently impacting the contest in that way. When at ruck stoppages, Bryan is hard to beat with his vertical leap and when he chooses to use it, his breakaway speed. In the pre-season testing, not only did Bryan clock up the 2.91-second 20-metre sprint, but also recorded 78cm on the running vertical jump. He improved that to 85cm at the National Draft Combine, while his standing vertical improved from 56cm to 69cm, showing he had been working hard off the field. His 20m went above the three seconds, but Bryan also spent time building strength on his lighter frame, which ultimately slows players down.

This is still pretty much the issue with him. He plays well but does not have a presence around the ground . He does not take as many marks as he should and he is not a physical player.

He is averaging more marks (given, at a lower level) than both Draper and Phillips (who was outmuscled by Steele Sidebottom in a marking contest two weeks ago).

I think he’s at least ready for that support role.

He is averaging more marks (given, at a lower level) than both Draper and Phillips (who was outmuscled by Steele Sidebottom in a marking contest two weeks ago).

I think he’s at least ready for that support role.
And as my boy this year he has also been pushed out of the contest just as easily. He is ready to play because he has now had 3 VFL games where he has rucked 80% of game time but he is not ready to do it for an extended period. I am keen to see him play a couple of games to give Flipper a rest now he has a solid foundation but just reading the stats is misleading. He has rucked against an 19 year old and a 21 year old in the last two weeks. His opponent this week is in his first year of VFL after playing a couple of seasons in the seniors in the GFL.
Sidebottom is a smart veteran who has always been decent at maneuvering bigger opponents off the footy in the right situation.

And as my boy this year he has also been pushed out of the contest just as easily. He is ready to play because he has now had 3 VFL games where he has rucked 80% of game time but he is not ready to do it for an extended period. I am keen to see him play a couple of games to give Flipper a rest now he has a solid foundation but just reading the stats is misleading. He has rucked against an 19 year old and a 21 year old in the last two weeks. His opponent this week is in his first year of VFL after playing a couple of seasons in the seniors in the GFL.
Sidebottom is a smart veteran who has always been decent at maneuvering bigger opponents off the footy in the right situation.

I’ve only seen 2 (of I think 4) of the VFL games that he’s played this year - who did you think got the better of him, specifically in marking contests (if you can recall)? I can’t think of a contest where he’s been thrown out of the way or anything…

I think we mostly agree, I just think he’s a bit closer to being ready.

They did not just throw Ryder into defense after playing him in the ruck for 2 seasons.
Seriously it is a desperation idea. Why are we so worried ? The last two weeks we have shown that when we do win the footy and get our game right we can limit what the gun forwards can do. Bryan is not going to make any difference if we can not control the rest of the field.
I thought ryder started back. Memory may be foggy there.

I’ve only seen 2 (of I think 4) of the VFL games that he’s played this year - who did you think got the better of him, specifically in marking contests (if you can recall)? I can’t think of a contest where he’s been thrown out of the way or anything…

I think we mostly agree, I just think he’s a bit closer to being ready.
Not thrown out of the way but run off the contest or moved off the line to make him ineffective.
He has played 3 games.
Against Casey he took 6 marks (1 contested) Pies 1 mark (0 contested) Werribee (4 marks, 0 contested).
He was against a 19 year old rookie in the Pies game.
He is not physically strong and despite him playing reasonably well he has not had a physical presence on a game. Lots of hit outs. Reasonable possession level.

How you can remember 2020 i dont know.
All i recall is wine, sleep and zoom meetings
The only thing different for me was not having a weekend. Transport did not stop. Did not miss a day of work.

Another solid game this week against the Lions. Rucked against two listed players in Darcey Fort who has a bit of AFL experience and Kalin Lane who is the same age and close to the same build. There was some rain and wind about so not a great day for the big blokes.
18 disposals 14 kicks and 4 handballs
3 marks
2 tackles
28 hit outs
7 clearances.

Now that he has played 4 games back and his form has held he would be in the window to replace Phillips for a bit but he will not solve the marking issues the ruck has now as his developing physical strength is still an issue. In fact I will say it is the only thing holding him back. Time will tell if he has the physical strength to be the number 1 or or if he will not develop past where he is now.

Another solid game this week against the Lions. Rucked against two listed players in Darcey Fort who has a bit of AFL experience and Kalin Lane who is the same age and close to the same build. There was some rain and wind about so not a great day for the big blokes.
18 disposals 14 kicks and 4 handballs
3 marks
2 tackles
28 hit outs
7 clearances.

Now that he has played 4 games back and his form has held he would be in the window to replace Phillips for a bit but he will not solve the marking issues the ruck has now as his developing physical strength is still an issue. In fact I will say it is the only thing holding him back. Time will tell if he has the physical strength to be the number 1 or or if he will not develop past where he is now.

The two guys in the seniors don't warrant demanding a spot in the seniors so Bryan must be in the frame for a recall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The two guys in the seniors don't warrant demanding a spot in the seniors so Bryan must be in the frame for a recall
The issue is Bryan will not mark anymore around the ground than they will at this stage. He is now in the selection frame but he is not an answer yet.

The issue is Bryan will not mark anymore around the ground than they will at this stage. He is now in the selection frame but he is not an answer yet.
Absolutely agree, from all the reports going around (yours included), Bryan is doing what the senior guys are doing so it would be a like for like it sounds like.

Much like the Dodo out thought process, simply doing it to change it up as what we are currently doing isn't working.

In saying this, Nank/Soldo/Ryan is a perfect aggressive challenge Draper would relish I feel

Surely there is no way Bryan doesn't get a game when Phillips had had 1 touch tonight and we're up against arguably the worse team in the comp, no better time than to give him a look.

Something wrong if Bryan doesn't come in.

H
If Bryan isnt playing this week. What are we even doing. Has to play against west coast given their mediocre ruck department.
He is no Flip but brings other things to the table I agree with Duckworth that he is more Grundy like. If Flip can’t bring physicality I want to see Grundy Draper like behaviour. I don’t think Drapes is strong as he should be but it doesn’t stop him. The one game I did Bryan play I noticed his kicking was sublime bullet like passes.

Will do my write up later today but he was our best and even though I still think he is a bit away physically he is ready to play some games now. Two weeks ago I would have said no but now he has played 5 VFL games and been in the best 6 in all of them he is ready for another look.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back