AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe now but he wasn’t getting a regular game a few weeks ago. We’ll see… there is a fair bit of interest i.e offers in front of him.
Club has to hold its ground on this one. I understand why he is looking at offers somewhere else but we just have to hold him to 2025. He is actually the number 1 ruck now despite him being subbed out in the last quarter a couple of times.

Club has to hold its ground on this one. I understand why he is looking at offers somewhere else but we just have to hold him to 2025. He is actually the number 1 ruck now despite him being subbed out in the last quarter a couple of times.
I have a feeling that it might work itself out but we have handled it badly (in my opinion). I’ll even go as far as to say that bringing Goldy in was a bad move although it is much easier with the benefit of hindsight.

I have a feeling that it might work itself out but we have handled it badly (in my opinion). I’ll even go as far as to say that bringing Goldy in was a bad move although it is much easier with the benefit of hindsight.
Really?

Goldy was good for us early and I’d assume has played some role in Bryan’s development. Both in terms of competitive tension and teaching (I’m guessing the teaching bit but you’d have to think so).

It may have pissed Bryan off at the time but you’d hope he can now see the forest for the trees.

I tend to agree although Goldy was more cover for Sam as they did not know if he was going to be ready in round 2 or round 8 at that stage. The down side was with Nick maybe not being quite ready at the start of the year and Sam making it back early Nick gets pushed back to number 3. As hard as I have been on Nick the biggest mistake was not leaving him in once he got in against the GC. Goldy had done what they got him for by that stage and his form was going down. Nick would be up to 11 games for the year. It was bad selection from Scott. Have no issues about not picking him early as Nick had a chance to beat out Goldy for the spot in all the match sim as they basically had a ruck off over summer but by mid year they had to be playing him.

Really?

Goldy was good for us early and I’d assume has played some role in Bryan’s development. Both in terms of competitive tension and teaching (I’m guessing the teaching bit but you’d have to think so).

It may have pissed Bryan off at the time but you’d hope he can now see the forest for the trees.
Yeah, not suggesting Goldy wasn’t good early because he was but I still think Bryan could have been given the time that went to Goldy. My 2c

The only reason to leave now would be spite.

And more money I guess.
We will get an insight into if they rate him. If they actually do then the play is he gets an extension and more coin. McKay gets less money next year as his signing bonus is now paid. There should be room.

‘Make him number 1 next year so he stays’

He’s currently number one by choice, not by unavailability. Would take a horrific misstep from us for him to leave from this position. In other words, stay tuned to see what creative new way we can stuff this up.

I'd be looking at at team like Geelong offering Nick #1, but also more immediate on field success.

Stanley is retiring.
Blitz is obviously not a proper ruck.
Conway seems to not be able to keep fit.

Not sure if they have anyone else.

Or going to a place where he's the clear number one and isn't subject to us deciding week-to-week if we go with one or two rucks.
That's the point. I think he probably will be number 1 next year. He's done all the waiting. He's ticked all the boxes. Looked good last night so his time is (almost) now. Would be a bit silly to leave after all that. If we're still stuffing him around next year then sure, go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't he contracted? Why are people suggesting that he's looking to move elsewhere? Is that reliable info, or just conjecture?
It is 100% accurate. He was frustrated at not getting a game and has interest from other clubs. There are offers there for him. I’m hoping that the prolonged run at the back end of the year helps him realise that there is a future for him as the number one ruck.

Should have played a extra 5 or so games this year over draper and Goldstein.

I'd still be worried if I was byran. as what do we do with wright, shouldnt play all 3 and draper seems to be undroppable.

Well most of year has showed draper and Wright are preferred over byran.

I'd keep him to his contract and play him every week but would understand if he demanded a trade. Most players get to where they want.

We really want to think about the future should be byran no. 1 and draper, Wright can fight it out for balance and back up ruck.

Does seem to genuinely chase and give defensive effort at high intensity compared to Wright, draper and goldy.

Here he WILL have to fight for time whether we like it or not. So, we have to hope he wants to stay and take that fight.

But, like I've posted previously, he can probably walk into Geelong's #1 with Stanley retiring and Conway been made of glass.

I'm not sure if we've given him enough.

Fingers crossed.

Competed well. Didn’t do much wrong with ball in hand.

But I’m still not seeing stand-out attributes. It’s not enough to get a few tap-outs and join in link-up play occasionally. He doesn’t impose himself in marking contests and can’t rest forward to kick goals. It’s a real slow burn with him and it’s going to take a lot longer if he’s going to develop into a dominating ruck.

Nick Bryan is 22 (almost 23)

Sam Draper is almost 26 and IMO has reached his peak

Not as good as Darcy (Freo version), Jackson, Xerri, Briggs or De Koning (same age or younger)

I'd rather see what Nick has and get the other Visentini brother from Port and hae the three of them fighting it out

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back