AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m all for looking at another ruck option, but O’Brien’s not the answer for mine. All he’s good at is accumulating hitouts. His skills are poor even for a ruck and he can’t hold a mark - and doesn’t kick goals. And will be 29 in two months - and would need to be traded for.
His marking seems to have dropped off this year but generally over his career he has been rated above average for marks and above average and even elite for a couple of years as far as contested marks. He is rated elite for hitouts and hitouts to advantage. You are right as far as skills go. His kicking has always been 50/50. Just seems to be having a poor year this year.

Is that just his current form though, or has he always played like that.
28-29 doesn't bother me. Goldy's 35. We only need two or three years from a 29 year old. Surely Bryan and Draper are up and about by then.

I thought he was going to be top 3 rucks in the comp a few years ago - 100% having a down year. 29’s just a bit of a weird age imo - is he old enough to accept not being no.1?

I think he has put on 14kg's since drafted - I wouldn't have thought that is a huge amount over 5 or so years. Visentini moves well for a young big guy, looking forward to seeing him develop.

It’s a fair bit if you want to retain your 20m sprint time though. He moves fine, but doesn’t have the power or acceleration of Draper. He’ll be more of a Goldstein like workhorse than a guy powering over a sprint IMO.

His marking seems to have dropped off this year but generally over his career he has been rated above average for marks and above average and even elite for a couple of years as far as contested marks. He is rated elite for hitouts and hitouts to advantage. You are right as far as skills go. His kicking has always been 50/50. Just seems to be having a poor year this year.

Definitely a bit of an anomaly this year (being down) - I always thought he should have been a bit tougher given his size. I perhaps am harsh on him just because I thought he was going to be so good (about five years ago). Is he rated elite for HO to adv this year? That amazes me if so. I feel like he gets a heap of them, but just doesn’t do too much with them

I thought he was going to be top 3 rucks in the comp a few years ago - 100% having a down year. 29’s just a bit of a weird age imo - is he old enough to accept not being no.1?
I thought he was getting to the peak of his powers a couple of years ago too. Maybe he has already peaked, but I reckon if we put it to him that he could rediscover his best form he's every chance of being no. 1. But at worst that there's also a chance he could be part of a formidable duo, he might be interested.

The big improvement in Bryan is the numbers remain the same bu the influence he is having on matches is more than this time 18 months ago.

Clearance numbers are up, disposal numbers are up, the marks will always be a work in progress. His mobility around the ground is his 1 wood so for him to contribute like an extra midfielder, im more bullish on him than Draper to become an A grade ruck

I’m wondering if we should be playing bryan instead of goldy? I know it’s something of a down grade but with Draper and wright non negotiable, bryan mitigates the too tall factor with his mobility. Haven’t put a heap of thought into this…
Edit. And of course we might retain the guy who offers something for the future

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back