AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's where I think we got screwed on the weekend, stringer runs through stoppage exactly where he knows Goldstein will hit it, problem being Bryan didn't, and Jake left a gaping hole where the gc mids kept running it out
Because it's a dumb play and Stringer isn't a mid. We lean too much on this desperation play.

Because it's a dumb play and Stringer isn't a mid. We lean too much on this desperation play.

I think it's a reason why we've come back to the pack, a pretty easy play to stop , even worse if the oppo ruckman wins the tap and hits it into the gap jakey leaves. Even late in the wce game when we inexplicably didn't man up Kelly at the stoppage, it feels like we play the stoppages on our terms rather than negating but there's a time and place for everything. We were at our best when we had Durham negating Bont, and Caldwell doing his grunt thing that night.

After watching again. First quarter good. Second quarter okay. Second half disappointing.
Thats was my take watching live too, was sold at quarter time. Watching the highlight reel posted in here majority of clips are from first half. He looked a lot more dynamic than i recall from last year. I dont watch vfl much, is this his natural game in the VFL too or did they ask him to play a style he wasnt used to last week which is why he fell off in 2nd half?
I would have expected him to fall off a bit if he was up against Witts but was a bit surprising to see a similarly experienced moyle get better late in the game and bryan falling off.

I will throw this out there. Tom De Koning is two years earlier than Bryan but as a similar style ruck he is a lot more athletic so he can get away with not physically dominating a game over 4 quarters.

He was bad last week but I still, in a lot of ways, find it quite amazing he was dropped after one week.

Time and time again we’ve been told we’re building and be patient (which is correct), yet we won’t play the 22yo ruck prospect who shows a lot in the VFL ahead of the 35yo bloke who definitely will not be part of our next premiership.

Dropping any younger player after one week is harsh, doing it for a 35yo when you continually describe yourself as building is next level. Scott must seriously, seriously not rate him at all. Not even enough to get games into him.

He was bad last week but I still, in a lot of ways, find it quite amazing he was dropped after one week.

Time and time again we’ve been told we’re building and be patient (which is correct), yet we won’t play the 22yo ruck prospect who shows a lot in the VFL ahead of the 35yo bloke who definitely will not be part of our next premiership.

Dropping any younger player after one week is harsh, doing it for a 35yo when you continually describe yourself as building is next level. Scott must seriously, seriously not rate him at all. Not even enough to get games into him.

He will probably end up like Strachan, understudy til age 28 then gets a crack when his body is finally man size and he's clocked the state league

I don't even think he was bad.

He got dropped as if he put in a Zac Clarke performance. If he really is (or may be) the future, we have to give him more than 1 game until his performances dictate otherwise.

Problem we have.

Nick has a decent skill set and can find a bit of the footy around the ground and has good tap work but lacks a physical presence and is inconsistent with his marking. Does not have Goldstein's running ability to get up and back around the ground.

Sam has the physicality and a bit of X factor but so far limited footy IQ and okay tap work. Inconsistent mark and does not have a big engine.

Goldy has good tap work . Very good work rate but not the dominant physical game and not a consistent marking option despite getting into good spots.

I don't even think he was bad.

He got dropped as if he put in a Zac Clarke performance. If he really is (or may be) the future, we have to give him more than 1 game until his performances dictate otherwise.

He came in because Goldstein was rested / managed. I don't think he was dropped based on performance, if he'd absolutely dominated he might have held his spot but it was always a temporary 'in' really unless he pulled something out of the bag.

Same as when Caddy came in for Jones for a match.

Bryan has a lot of potential, but despite being the same age as Moyle, he's clearly not (yet) where Moyle is at physically. And the ruck is probably the most physically demanding position on the ground. Another preseason and maybe he will have enough size and strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was either 200 IQ or 2 and the umpire couldn't believe anyone would be so dumb as to deliberately do it.

None of us could believe anyone would be that dumb.... that is until afterwards when Draper decided to do a recreation.

It's like a bank robber bringing some mates to the bank to boast about how they broke in while they're still investigating the robbery.

Problem we have.

Nick has a decent skill set and can find a bit of the footy around the ground and has good tap work but lacks a physical presence and is inconsistent with his marking. Does not have Goldstein's running ability to get up and back around the ground.

Sam has the physicality and a bit of X factor but so far limited footy IQ and okay tap work. Inconsistent mark and does not have a big engine.

Goldy has good tap work . Very good work rate but not the dominant physical game and not a consistent marking option despite getting into good spots.

Things that are glaringly obvious to me then: Nick must work on improving his long distance running & bulk up in size.

Dean Cox set the tone for ruckmen during the 00's with his ability to cover ground AND be a physical force. He would be the archetype I'd want any ruckman to be. It took him 4 years to get it right. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Dean Cox but at least aim for that yeah?

If Nick has talent....let's see it.

So Bryan had a very good 20m sprint time when we drafted him yet he doesn't look as athletic as other ruckman or even Draper when he has no problems with his legs. Do we throw out the 20m sprint time - can guys fluke it a tad. Are we better off looking at repeat sprint times? Bryan looked blown up at half time of the GCS match and his numbers diminished as the match progressed - does he have a low natural base endurance? Given the question marks on Bryan, Draper's body, Visentini's youth and Goldstein looking done we must be looking at the very least for a mature physically competitive ruck.

So Bryan had a very good 20m sprint time when we drafted him yet he doesn't look as athletic as other ruckman or even Draper when he has no problems with his legs. Do we throw out the 20m sprint time - can guys fluke it a tad. Are we better off looking at repeat sprint times? Bryan looked blown up at half time of the GCS match and his numbers diminished as the match progressed - does he have a low natural base endurance? Given the question marks on Bryan, Draper's body, Visentini's youth and Goldstein looking done we must be looking at the very least for a mature physically competitive ruck.

For a ruckman sized bloke, he'd be way heavier than when he set that sprint time. Draper was always pretty solid (similar to Visentini) so probably wouldn't have changed much.

Yes. This is why I thought it interesting to look at OBrien being dropped for Strachan. If Nicks is axed you never know what might shake out.

For a ruckman sized bloke, he'd be way heavier than when he set that sprint time. Draper was always pretty solid (similar to Visentini) so probably wouldn't have changed much.
I think he has put on 14kg's since drafted - I wouldn't have thought that is a huge amount over 5 or so years. Visentini moves well for a young big guy, looking forward to seeing him develop.

Yes. This is why I thought it interesting to look at OBrien being dropped for Strachan. If Nicks is axed you never know what might shake out.
O'Brien if that is the guy I am thinking off is massive and runs like the clappers. Is he physical? That is the key to making up to some of our ordinary drafting - finding guys with talent on the outer elsewhere that may well thrive in a different environment.

I’m all for looking at another ruck option, but O’Brien’s not the answer for mine. All he’s good at is accumulating hitouts. His skills are poor even for a ruck and he can’t hold a mark - and doesn’t kick goals. And will be 29 in two months - and would need to be traded for.

O'Brien if that is the guy I am thinking off is massive and runs like the clappers. Is he physical? That is the key to making up to some of our ordinary drafting - finding guys with talent on the outer elsewhere that may well thrive in a different environment.
I thought he was a very physical ruck. Crows supporters are hating him at the moment but I'm not sure why. I was under the impression he was really on the rise last year though.

I’m all for looking at another ruck option, but O’Brien’s not the answer for mine. All he’s good at is accumulating hitouts. His skills are poor even for a ruck and he can’t hold a mark - and doesn’t kick goals. And will be 29 in two months - and would need to be traded for.
Is that just his current form though, or has he always played like that.
28-29 doesn't bother me. Goldy's 35. We only need two or three years from a 29 year old. Surely Bryan and Draper are up and about by then.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back