Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - finishes 5th in the 2024 SBM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a poor game, the tag has knocked him out of the rotation. Not sure how he gets positioned in the next few weeks. Still the smartest mid with Sheez but the lack of speed and size at the moment has him at an interesting position.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s still young but if he’s going to make a long term contribution to this team he needs to be able to play half forward, wing or even half back at times.

Look at the Pies, Daicos flipped to half forward. Pendles plays anywhere as does JDG or Crisp.

If he doesn’t manage to do this we should trade him next year whilst he still has currency as he won’t be a long term inside mid for us if we retain LDU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not doing enough as the 3rd banana in the middle.
Judging from today he was 5th of the midfielders in terms of CBA’s.

Needs to expand his game outside of being a pure inside mid.

Judging from today he was 5th of the midfielders in terms of CBA’s.

Needs to expand his game outside of being a pure inside mid.
As happened last week, we paired up LDU and Wardlaw in there, amongst Sheezel and Phillips.
Powelly is that 3rd banana in that he compliments both pairs.

As happened last week, we paired up LDU and Wardlaw in there, amongst Sheezel and Phillips.
Powelly is that 3rd banana in that he compliments both pairs.
That makes more sense. I was taking it as him as the 3rd mid excluding the tag.

I'll add my voice to pointing out this is a clueless post. If you can't see his smarts, you shouldn't bother watching the game.

Running is his negative trait - you should have stopped there.

I'll 2nd that... there was one little sidestep yest where he made room for a kick at the same time as sending two Coll mids the wrong way... certainly has talent, definitely more subtle to the less seasoned eye, and running definitely the weakness

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cost us the game by picking up that ball and giving that squib a shot inside 50. Unforgivable
Absolutely no need for it and beyond stupid.
Don’t ****ing grab the footy.
Don’t go near it.
Man the mark or go find a man

Don’t go near it.

Just a massive error. Should be a team rule to not touch the footy. Man the mark like you’re ready to go or find a man and shut down transition.

LDU manned the mark and pretended to pick up the footy delaying play by a few seconds. That helps. Not Powell being stoopid.

Anyway, back to his safety in the team. How could he be safe? He’s not at that level yet.

But watching things back, good things for the team sharpen when he gets the footy. Obviously he needs to find it more often.

Let’s consider that

2021 16.7 disposals per game
2022 14.6
2023 16.4
2024 20.4

So that’s a positive.

How does it compare to say LDU at the same age?

Promising

Don’t go near it.

Agree. Unfortunately in this instance as he was ready to toss the ball back to him Daicos had his back turned. As soon as he turned to face him and he tossed it Stevic had him cold for delaying the return of the pill.

Don’t touch it at all!

I wouldn't trade him yet. I feel like he's been steadily improving and gets involved in a lot of scoring chains for us.
Don't think many of our players have the quick hands, skills and vision he has to release players for scores.
His fitness needs to improve but he's not really gotten through a full season of AFL yet (knock on wood).
I'd evaluate him end of 2025 after backing up with another big pre-season. Probably the same with Phillips as well.
It is clear you can't really pair Powell and Phillips together in the middle at the same time. So they will have to find other roles at half forward or half back. Perhaps Powell could be a bit like Sam Mitchell off the half back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - finishes 5th in the 2024 SBM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back