Player Watch #24: Trent Rivers – midfield gun (imagine my surprise)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've loved the aggression and confidence he has shown this year.

I've been a knocker in the past, mainly about him going to water in finals, so I hope he continues this good form into the finals this year.
If he's not in defence he should be better. Looked very panicky playing deeper in finals.

If he's not in defence he should be better. Looked very panicky playing deeper in finals.
To be fair, he was also playing deep in defence in big finals as a 19/20-year-old. Composure has seemingly come on significantly this year, as you'd expect for someone who's now past the 50 game mark.

Even someone like Daicos had his moments of being panicky in his first few finals – have plenty of confidence in him going into September now.

An Oliver, Viney and Rivers starting midfield mix sounds good to me. Rotate in some Kozzy and Trac. Sparrow for backup. See ya later Harmes and JJ. Gus can GTFO and go back to the backline.

That last bit of play from him was absolutely sensational. He had no right to win that ball, but he did it anyway.

As much as I think Bowey and Rivers could do more in a more advanced role, just like we've all advocated for Salem to play on a wing throughout the journey, having the three of them and McVee as part of defensive 7 with two key defenders and an 3rd tall is a strong position to be in for the next 3-4 years. Means replacing May becomes the only real priority of the backline.

As much as I think Bowey and Rivers could do more in a more advanced role, just like we've all advocated for Salem to play on a wing throughout the journey, having the three of them and McVee as part of defensive 7 with two key defenders and an 3rd tall is a strong position to be in for the next 3-4 years. Means replacing May becomes the only real priority of the backline.
Really don't think Bowey and Salem are that irreplaceable in the back half. Neither can intercept mark. Would happily move one for another bloke who marks more than not.

Really don't think Bowey and Salem are that irreplaceable in the back half. Neither can intercept mark. Would happily move one for another bloke who marks more than not.
Salem seems decent overhead but I think the main assets for both are their composure, decision making and (most of the time) foot skills. The game seems to slow down a little when either have possession in the back half, though admittedly Salem's form has been a little shakier this year and last.

Salem seems decent overhead but I think the main assets for both are their composure, decision making and (most of the time) foot skills. The game seems to slow down a little when either have possession in the back half, though admittedly Salem's form has been a little shakier this year and last.
Who cares if they hit some nice passes if it costs us as many goals back the other way cause they lose one on ones. Having Bowey and Salem down back means that May or Lever have to intercept every game or we get none. Bowey especially. Can't trust him to play in the goal square against an opponent

Who cares if they hit some nice passes if it costs us as many goals back the other way cause they lose one on ones. Having Bowey and Salem down back means that May or Lever have to intercept every game or we get none. Bowey especially. Can't trust him to play in the goal square against an opponent
But that's not his primary role? And if the ball was on the deck, I'd back in his ability to create a 50:50 contest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well according to this Bowey is rated 10th in the competition for defensive one on one wins. He's had a total of 16 one on one contest and has only lost 2 for the year which imo is pretty impressive for a guy of his size.

Sooo realistically he's actually doing a super job down back as a defender this year

Well according to this Bowey is rated 10th in the competition for defensive one on one wins. He's had a total of 16 one on one contest and has only lost 2 for the year which imo is pretty impressive for a guy of his size.

Sooo realistically he's actually doing a super job down back as a defender this year

Yeah nah. Great stat and he's a good young player but he gets dragged to the square by anyone with some height and we are ****ed.

Yeah nah. Great stat and he's a good young player but he gets dragged to the square by anyone with some height and we are ****ed.

Stealing your direct quote,

"Who cares if they hit some nice passes if it costs us as many goals back the other way cause they lose one on ones"

The stats proves that Bowey has barely lost any one on ones this year which has resulted in goals. He's defending first like you asked and then attacking.

And there's been no instances this year where he's been dragged to the square and lost a contest battle due to height.

Usually he's already playing as a high half back due to opposition teams forward press. The only time he's deep in the square is when there's a stoppage ball up in deep 50 but even then it's usually May or Petty playing who are playing on last line of defence.

Last edited:

"Who cares if they hit some nice passes if it costs us as many goals back the other way cause they lose one on ones"

The stats proves that Bowey has barely lost any one on ones this year which has resulted in goals. He's defending first like you asked and then attacking.

And there's been no instances this year where he's been dragged to the square and lost a contest battle due to height.

Usually he's already playing as a high half back due to opposition teams forward press. The only time he's deep in the square is when there's a stoppage ball up in deep 50 but even then it's usually May or Petty playing who are playing on last line of defence.
Last game against the lions he lost his man on the lead a few times. That stat isn't a full story

I'm fascinated to know their definition of a defensive one-on-one contest.

From the Lions game, Bowey lost a marking contest against Bailey inside d50 with 10:51 left in the 1st quarter. Bailey kicked the goal. He was also directly opposed to McCarthy (I think) before McCarthy lost him with a simple push to lead into space and Mark unopposed about 20m out - 3rd quarter, kick from Fletcher I think.

That's two from memory just from 1 game. You can't tell me he hasn't lost a single contest in any other game this year

Salem is ok as a defender - I don't remember him getting beaten often (i.e. outmarked), he's usually able to get in a spoil or force a stoppage.
Bowey is just small so can be worked over or wind up with a mismatch pretty easily.
Bowey is actually a very good mark for his size. Solid kick and solid decision maker. Good off the deck. Defensively sound. He's best 22.

Jake Bowey is basically what Jordie McKenzie would have been if he were good at football

Last game against the lions he lost his man on the lead a few times. That stat isn't a full story

Hang on, weren't you one of the posters early in the season who defended this very thing when it happened to May by saying 'it's not his fault, we play a zone, the lead should have been picked up....'

You really seem to just pick a player you don't like and make up some stuff about them. Now that Trac has put you in your place you've moved on to Bowey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Trent Rivers – midfield gun (imagine my surprise)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back