AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Apparently keen on a move to Orange Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I am not on the David King appreciation wagon but the "alleged" info from the club is a bit damming if true.
David King is a bonafide flog (pretty sure it's on his drivers licence) and I wouldn't believe a single thing that came from his mouth.

Is this legit? Why would the club relate these things to David ****ing King?
Not sure on how legit it is but it would have come from someone at the club or close to the club . I do not really rate a lot of Kings work but he is not really a make it up guy. He has a bit of a network going. That does not imply that his source on this is 100% right.

FYI King isn't able to wear hats due to the circumference of his head.

If they ever did a live action Toy Story he'd be a shoe in to play Mr Potato Head.

David King is a bonafide flog (pretty sure it's on his drivers licence) and I wouldn't believe a single thing that came from his mouth.
He is a flog but he is not a make my own story up guy. He has rubbish opinions on a lot of things and is fed by Champion Data but he has a network of people linked to clubs. He gets around and looks at clubs training pre season He will have a source. Like anyone with a good source the 100% truth in it is not always 100% truth if it is second hand info.

Now I am not on the David King appreciation wagon but the "alleged" info from the club is a bit damming if true.
The stats don't really back up that he's any worse than all our other forwards regarding pressure/tackling, and let's be honest it's not really his job, blame the dirth of decent small forwards for our poor inside 50 pressure.
If the club was really setting an example re tackling/pressure then they wouldn't be rewarding menzie and gresham because their stats are pretty poor considering the core role of a small forward is inside 50 tackling/pressure.

Re fitness, haven't you posted in the past how much his under 18 leg injury has impacted his training ability? The club knows that when they've tried to push him build his aerobic ability to play more midfield in past that he has broken down with soft tissue injuries. At start of this year they spoke about this and admitted he should play more forward and he is of more benefit to the team there.

But then they decide midway through year to throw that out the window and use him in the centre again. So who's fault is it when he blows up by end of year, him or the coaching group who runs out of ideas and use him in a role they know he isn't physically able to perform in week after week?

Scott preached long term goals at start of year and preached about playing guys like stringer in the roles that can get the most out of him long term. But when he got a whiff of a top 4 finish he no longer trusted the young mids to get job done.

The stats don't really back up that he's any worse than all our other forwards regarding pressure/tackling, and let's be honest it's not really his job, blame the dirth of decent small forwards for our poor inside 50 pressure.
If the club was really setting an example re tackling/pressure then they wouldn't be rewarding menzie and gresham because their stats are pretty poor considering the core role of a small forward is inside 50 tackling/pressure.

Re fitness, haven't you posted in the past how much his under 18 leg injury has impacted his training ability? The club knows that when they've tried to push him build his aerobic ability to play more midfield in past that he has broken down with soft tissue injuries. At start of this year they spoke about this and admitted he should play more forward and he is of more benefit to the team there.

But then they decide midway through year to throw that out the window and use him in the centre again. So who's fault is it when he blows up by end of year, him or the coaching group who runs out of ideas and use him in a role they know he isn't physically able to perform in week after week?

Scott preached long term goals at start of year and preached about playing guys like stringer in the roles that can get the most out of him long term. But when he got a whiff of a top 4 finish he no longer trusted the young mids to get job done.

I want him gone now (was on the fence a week ago, but I understood it for balance reasons), but I agree with you on this part.

If you're going to have a go at him for his pressure, you better be having the same (or harsher) conversation with Langford and especially Wright.

I want him gone now (was on the fence a week ago, but I understood it for balance reasons), but I agree with you on this part.

If you're going to have a go at him for his pressure, you better be having the same (or harsher) conversation with Langford and especially Wright.
Yeah I have no issue if the club are honest and say a) we have too many of the same forwards and the balance isn't right b) Jake is on the wrong side of 30 and c) he is the easiest of the three to offload due to contract length.
But I don't think we have to push out this narrative.
I hope King is just making his own comments and pretending it's from the club but if what Ant says is true that is from people inside the club then that's disappointing and makes me feel like same old same old with how the club is run.
If our hard stance is moving on Stringer and trying to move on Laverde (who from all accounts is very much a team first guy who's body is breaking down) then it's just amounts to lip service as usual.

Last edited:
It will work out great for the giants who desperately want his 42 goals and Jake who wants that 2nd year.

Giants need to stop with their BS lowballing when they have 3 FRPs
Dude, we aren’t getting a first for Jake, even if we paid his salary. It’s delusional to think one would be involved.

"He doesn’t chase, he doesn’t pressure, he doesn’t help us with his preparation, he’s not professional enough, he’s not fit enough"

In that case you have to wonder why GWS would want him? Sounds like a lot of trouble to bring in

His goals, score involvements AND pressure numbers are great. It's an urban myth that fat Jake Stringer is lazy.

now i’m no fancy business man or nothing but I reckon if they are trying to sell a player, to get a better deal they should talk him up and not shit can him
As long as we stick to the plan the Dogs used for Jake. Feed the media about all his bad stuff but insist on first round picks before taking a couple of seconds :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His goals, score involvements AND pressure numbers are great. It's an urban myth that fat Jake Stringer is lazy.
The problem is the good is up here

and the bad is down here.
There not a lot in between.

I did not feed the info to King. All I said is the info is daming if true. I stand by what I have posted about Jake in the past including I think it is him that draws the short straw.

I did not feed the info to King. All I said is the info is daming if true. I stand by what I have posted about Jake in the past including I think it is him that draws the short straw.
I'm not having a go at you, I'm picking apart the statements by King. Personally I think its more damning on the club if there's people on the inside leaking to an idiot like King.

Dude, we aren’t getting a first for Jake, even if we paid his salary. It’s delusional to think one would be involved.

I was mentioning those picks to suggest that the giants won’t want to be adding that many rookies to the list. So later picks are less valuable to them. So pick 56 is honestly insulting.

The Giants are trying to win a flag and are trying to trade for one of the 20 most prolific goal kickers from last season. At some point you need to pay a premium to get an asset for the present vs someone who might potentially make an impact someday maybe.

What would you say Charlie Cameron is worth? Because him and Jake are the same age and were only 2 goals apart last season?

Essendon need points for Kako so I’d expect multiple later picks that equate to the point value of a 2nd round pick. That’s close to fair value for Jake and likely gets done

I would be interested to see if it was Langford that had his contract running out and Stringer was on a longer contract if the same tactic would be taken . One way or the other our forward line needs some work

"He doesn’t chase, he doesn’t pressure, he doesn’t help us with his preparation, he’s not professional enough, he’s not fit enough"

In that case you have to wonder why GWS would want him? Sounds like a lot of trouble to bring in

Because they are trying to win a flag and Have actual pressure forwards.

Jake was a top 20 goal kicker last season and has previously helped GWS list manager win a flag in 2016

I would be interested to see if it was Langford that had his contract running out and Stringer was on a longer contract if the same tactic would be taken . One way or the other our forward line needs some work
Probably not as Langford has never had the issues that Jake has had. Plus his friends are probably better.:)

The problem is the good is up here

and the bad is down here.
There not a lot in between.

Now we spin this into a positive.

GWS your going for a flag you can have the greatest sub of all time here. Jake does all his match winning in 1.5 quarters. Have him come on late in the third get a few clearances and 3 goals in the last. What a competitive advantage over brissy

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Apparently keen on a move to Orange Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back