AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

We always will get the glimpses of Jake and how good he can be regardless of where is he is physically and mentally. He's just a mercurial player by nature.

He looked good against a pretty lacklustre GWS outfit who didn't give him the attention he deserved. But his poor conditioning got exposed against quality outfits like Melbourne and Collingwood who didn't give him the space that a bottom team would.

Some of the commentary running around doing victory laps is quite bizarre. He came back in objectively poor condition - and no, It was just a big lunch poor.

For an senior player who is 29, well paid and has access to expert health and fitness advice - fans had every right to be disappointed. Is it the end of the world? No. Is it all his fault? No. Could he have done better? Yes.

The entire team was spent in the 4th. I watched Perkins towards the end of the third for example barely able to chase.
I wasn’t at the game but saw a comment from ant that he was and watched Jake work his backside off as long as he could. So yes his fitness may need to increase but think it’s a team thing/recruiting thing and probably unfair to single him out.
He may also have physical limitations meaning he can’t get much fitter - who knows?
I remember that external review they did that said the players weren't fit enough. That was money well spent.

Whatever it is Geelong does to get guys playing with athleticism well into their thirties we should do to get a few more seasons out of this man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he had one touch in the first quarter but I had him close to bog. His blocking and scrapping in the centre square set the tone for competing.
Was that sort of game from him. Could not get a handle on the footy but his pressure and effort was really good.

Would have been very easy being late in the game and tired to blaze for glory off the left in the wrong pocket. Selfless and smart. That was an inspired piece of play and another match winning input/assist for us. Also a bit earlier the quick awareness when he realised the Richmond player lapsed in concentration for a moment, played on and bombed a big goal to give us a sniff.

This is the Jake we like, we're seeing far greater consistency from him now that he's actually fit and that's a huge bonus for the side.

I really liked his kick to set up Duz at the end, would've been so easy to go for the impossible. Great composure, great skill, great result.

This is the Jake we like, we're seeing far greater consistency from him now that he's actually fit and that's a huge bonus for the side.

I really liked his kick to set up Duz at the end, would've been so easy to go for the impossible. Great composure, great skill, great result.
Did he actually look or just throw it on his boot? I do assume he wasn't going for goal especially on his left, but did he not just throw it on his boot to top of square (right thing to do) and Durham happened to be there. Fairly soft effort from Rioli to spoil too. Not trying to pick on Jake, I like what he does, but not sure he even knew Durham (or another Ess player) was there. Loved his long goal in the 4th to get us back in it.

Did he actually look or just throw it on his boot? I do assume he wasn't going for goal especially on his left, but did he not just throw it on his boot to top of square (right thing to do) and Durham happened to be there. Fairly soft effort from Rioli to spoil too. Not trying to pick on Jake, I like what he does, but not sure he even knew Durham (or another Ess player) was there. Loved his long goal in the 4th to get us back in it.
The thing about playing a structural game plan is that he is taught to kick to the top of the square under that circumstance and we will always have a player whose role it is to be in that spot to mark it. As players develop that chemistry, they know and trust each other to play their roles – they don't have to look first and see who is there. And in that situation there will be other players whose roles are to open the space, block opponents and drag them out of the way, or jump over the top and take a hanger if necessary.

It's the same with a kick-in after a behind, or a throw in from the wing, or anything else. There are structures, they each have patterns to run, roles to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back