Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems Legit Get Out GIF

He’s the type of player that could win a Norm someday.

When we have another key forward that is producing AFL quality, this guys will be one of our most damaging players.
I see him as a 185 version of Jamie Elliott, with more brute force and marking power once his tank develops.

I actually get so frustrated watching him, because of how good he could be and that what he’s shown he can do is so good to watch and is game breaking. I expect so much from him so early on but he will get more consistent as we improve. Been our best forward this year so far.

He’s the type of player that could win a Norm someday.

When we have another key forward that is producing AFL quality, this guys will be one of our most damaging players.
I see him as a 185 version of Jamie Elliott, with more brute force and marking power once his tank develops.

I actually get so frustrated watching him, because of how good he could be and that what he’s shown he can do is so good to watch and is game breaking. I expect so much from him so early on but he will get more consistent as we improve. Been our best forward this year so far.
He’s definitely been let down by those around him.

He's a weapon close to goal and played well in his position on Sunday. But we need his physicality/contested ability further up the ground.

On Sunday, through no fault of his own, he and the other forwards and the Geelong backs were basically getting cold with Geelong repeat entries and territory. It's a waste - our best contested players need to be where the action is and realistically that's not forward of centre.

I don’t know if we use PC correctly. I don’t actually think he’s a small forward, rather a small key position player.

My understanding is that he’s the strongest player at the club. No small defender can match him for strength, so when it’s a one on one he can generally have his way with them. The problem is that he doesn’t really get that opportunity as he’s not a target player as such.
I think that you craft a forward line that forces opponents to make tough decisions on who you put on him, then you exploit it.

If we have Larkey, Sellers, Ford, Zurhaar, Duursma, Curtis then they've probably got to put their small defender onto Curtis. At which point, you play him like a deep full forward.

But these are decisions that can be made when more is going your way up the field.

He's been bubbling away this season, would love to see him get off the chain on Sunday.

A few guys are improving individually despite the team getting flogged, he's one aye

Watching the replay now.

This bloke is going to be a serious player.

A 50 goal a year player.

Just a natural footballer.
From what he’s shown so far he’d need 100 shots.

He needs to clean that up, some of his misses are infuriating.

There’s definitely a player there though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that you craft a forward line that forces opponents to make tough decisions on who you put on him, then you exploit it.

If we have Larkey, Sellers, Ford, Zurhaar, Duursma, Curtis then they've probably got to put their small defender onto Curtis. At which point, you play him like a deep full forward.

But these are decisions that can be made when more is going your way up the field.

That's a really optimistic take on us having 57 third tall forwards!

That's a really optimistic take on us having 57 third tall forwards!
There was one contest in the third. For context we had gained the ascendancy in the middle but were still struggling to get inside 50. We break from HB well and the ball is kicked inside 50 to what PC thinks is a marking contest, he instinctively gets front and centre, turning his body perfectly for a potential spill.

The only problem is there was no North player flying for the mark and Stewart marks kicks forward and they goal.

It was such a telling piece of play that summed up our forward structure and list imbalance woes.

He seemed to play as a little further up the ground in the pre season, with his dangerous left foot I thought he showed potential as a Grien Myers type for us hitting up teammates inside fifty.

Yes, he's been successfully coached out of trying to wrestle bigger opponents and playing from behin d in favour of leading up and using his excellent hands, then wheeling around aye

He's replaced Zurhaar as our second most important forward. Curtis is making the most of limited opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back