Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis

Remove this Banner Ad

He's replaced Zurhaar as our second most important forward. Curtis is making the most of limited opportunities.
He could win a GF off his own boot one day.

I wonder if his body will hold up until he's 45 years old?..

On the question of Paul’s set shot reliability, I would argue he’s “acceptably reliable”. Sure, we’d all like perfection. However, I’m always pretty comfortable seeing him line up for goals. He doesn’t appear to let himself get fazed if he misses a couple in a row. Therefore, I don’t think he’s prone to get the yips. We’ve had our fair share of them over time.

On the question of Paul’s set shot reliability, I would argue he’s “acceptably reliable”. Sure, we’d all like perfection. However, I’m always pretty comfortable seeing him line up for goals. He doesn’t appear to let himself get fazed if he misses a couple in a row. Therefore, I don’t think he’s prone to get the yips. We’ve had our fair share of them over time.
its how one misses that says a lot as well, pauly is pretty close when he misses, unlike danihar for example

We've seen at times when experimenting with Sheezel, Lazzaro, Powell, and McKercher at centre bounces, that they can get absolutely burned by the bigger bodies.

I think Curtis starting in the middle and then rotating out for one of those names makes a ton of sense. He looked completely natural in the middle, and you absolutely have to run with it over the next month.

LDU, Curtis, Zurhaar and Wardlaw have been the only names who have looked comfortable starting at centre bounces this year. If Simpkin finds form, then I think those are the only five who need to be in our centre bounce rotation.

In the ruins that remained aftyer the Adelaide game, like every game, there was one thing to salvage. Curtis must remain in the midfield. Strong and skillfull. He doesn't lose his feet either. A Curtis-led midfield won't be tossed about like toys as we have seen this season.

We've seen at times when experimenting with Sheezel, Lazzaro, Powell, and McKercher at centre bounces, that they can get absolutely burned by the bigger bodies.

I think Curtis starting in the middle and then rotating out for one of those names makes a ton of sense. He looked completely natural in the middle, and you absolutely have to run with it over the next month.

LDU, Curtis, Zurhaar and Wardlaw have been the only names who have looked comfortable starting at centre bounces this year. If Simpkin finds form, then I think those are the only five who need to be in our centre bounce rotation.
It makes sense. Zurharr and Curtis are strong enough to be competitive at centre bounces, so one or both of them should be involved in the majority of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My completely untested theory is guys who pinch hit every now and then always end up getting a few clearances because the opposition hasn't put any proper time into them in that role, and they're not focused on anything other than the ball

Maybe! I'm not sure oppo clubs put time into any of our mids bar LDU though to be honest.

He's also one of our best field kicks. No brainer if his tank gets there.

He's demonstrated an elite work ethic and coachgability in his time with us.

If they tell him to spend his off season running his guts out to get midfield endurance, he will do it and more.

My completely untested theory is guys who pinch hit every now and then always end up getting a few clearances because the opposition hasn't put any proper time into them in that role, and they're not focused on anything other than the ball

I've always thought it's because they're not playing to strict midfield instructions - just get in there and read the play.

You give that job to a player with high IQ (Sheez) or above average instincts (Curtis, TT) and woosh the ball is going our way.

I reckon the mids are having all their creativity coached out of them trying to adhere to structures.

He's also one of our best field kicks. No brainer if his tank gets there.
I love that he always wheels and goes. Never does the braindead 20th century footy thing half our team does where they take a mark or get a free and give the opposition 30 seconds to get back and structure up

His ability to break the tackle and be on the move stands out. Not many of our mids can power through like that.
He's likely more a pinch hit option at the moment because he probably doesn't have the fitness yet.
But yeah hope we have a look at it more but it also takes a dangerous marking option in F50 away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back