Autopsy Rd 11, 2022 - Loss vs. Saints - Jack's 250th

Remove this Banner Ad

How shit is Kayo though?
Man, my Kayo feed kept jumping a few seconds back in time every 5 mins which only prolonged the agony...plus I think there was a 'HD' in the upper corner next to the Fox logo but I couldn't quite make it out....

Man, my Kayo feed kept jumping a few seconds back in time every 5 mins which only prolonged the agony...plus I think there was a 'HD' in the upper corner next to the Fox logo but I couldn't quite make it out....
So we must assume that Kayo is run by St Kilda officials then.

Lost every quarter again.

Is it worth trying Larkey in the backline for few weeks? He needs to learn how to contest packs and hit space on leads. Maybe he could learn from some opposition forwards. We sent Carey to CHB early on in his career for this very thing. too often he and Zurhaar are running to the same spots and getting in each others way.

Good games from Goldy, Jed, Luke Mc and Jy.

Can't see the upside of either Hayden or Xerri yet. Might be time to try something different

Do we need a gorilla - to play on gorillas?

Sitting level 3 behind goals.

Tarry Thomas is a serial lazy footballer when chasing out of our forward 50.

He also goes to ground at every 2nd contest. Had the same issue before being drafted and somehow we haven’t been able to stamp this out of his game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd be okay with an offensive play style if it was actually offensive, there is a lack of running, overlap and players getting into space when we have the ball. We are okay at stoppages, get enough of the first possession but we just hand the ball over and make WAY too many mistakes.

I’ve been banging on about this for years.

The most stagnant team in the AFL by a long way.

You don’t have to be fast to create space and open up running lanes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wasn’t able to go today due to COVID inhabiting my entire family except me.

On the tv it looked like we changed ball movement from last week.

I’m pretty lost as to what we are actually trying to implement.

I feel like we consistently move players regardless of how well they may be doing in a role.

We seem to be goldfish in terms of what worked last time. To have Hill ripping us a new one, when he was restricted to 6 touches last time with Scott playing on him? We have so many limitations we seem to impose more upon ourselves.
Is it wrong of me being envious that you were unable to go?

I went again, but I am starting to wonder why, when it’s just out of some blind loyalty.

Staying at home and individually plucking pubic hairs would be more of a pleasant experience than watching us at the moment.

Last edited:
Noble is done.
I doubt that will come soon or quickly.

Maybe the end of the year or at least closer too.

We’re a basket case. We have so many issues.

We’ve hit restart on a bunch of departments and the jury is out.

It’s death of a thousand cuts currently.

Honestly thought we’d put in a solid showing today after what went down during the week and the fact that it was the skippers 250th . We were full of energy in the first qtr but as the match wore on the confidence was drained from the young blokes. Missed marks and field kicks from the senior guys didn’t help and the willingness to go through the corridor was non existent in the second half .

The young bloke saw his first loss and there were a few tears, an ice cream on the way home cheered him up . For his old man following Jane Bunn down the level 2 ramp even though she’s a saints supporter made the day a little more bearable .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it wrong if me being envious that you were unable to go?

I went again, but I am starting to wonder why, when it’s just out of some blind loyalty.

Staying at home and individually plucking pubic hairs would be more of a pleasant experience than watching us at the moment.

I’d have been there if I could have. The game was only marginally worse than I expected.

Will be at the GWS game.

I feel like at the moment we’ve lost the game mentally before we play.

I would do bad bad things to get a 3 weeks in a row of teams where:
  • They were around us on the ladder
  • we got the rub of the green
  • the opposition was missing players

Plenty of players go in to AFL systems with sub-standard skills. Corey Enright was one. Geelong's skills coaches worked tirelessly on his technique with him and he became one of their best by foot.

Unfortunately at our club we have a very poor record of improving skills. And no more so than this year. The evidence is there every week and it's hard to fix mid season. It has to be done in the preseason. The fact that it wasn't is an indictment on our football department.

While other clubs use kicking coaches with expertise in biomechanics, we don't. Professional golfers still spend a lot of time with technical coaches even though they're super talented and at the top. Swans players have spent a ton of time with the Kicking Consultant. Individual programs to address biomechanical idiosyncrasies, kicking straight on, around the corner, set shot etc etc.

Wtf do our coaches do? Because before we hire defence, forward and midfield coaches, we need to hire proper skills coaches. Not just ex players who could kick. Every club drafts guys who can't kick that well, but like Enright, have other strengths. Other clubs do a lot better job of improving skill weaknesses. We need to do the same by getting proper skills coaches starting with this preseason coming up.

Honestly thought we’d put in a solid showing today after what went down during the week and the fact that it was the skippers 250th . We were full of energy in the first qtr but as the match wore on the confidence was drained from the young blokes. Missed marks and field kicks from the senior guys didn’t help and the willingness to go through the corridor was non existent in the second half .

The young bloke saw his first loss and there were a few tears, an ice cream on the way home cheered him up . For his old man following Jane Bunn down the level 2 ramp even though she’s a saints supporter made the day a little more bearable .
That’s what hurts at the moment. As shit as we have been in the past this club has always shown plenty of heart and the ability to get up and have a fairdinkum crack for four quarters.

At the moment it’s like they have a go and if it’s not going well the white flag gets flown and everything turns to shit.

As much as we want to put down these performances to teething issues that come with rebuilding, the truth is that there are some cultural issues.

In the past we had leaders that would pull the group through and demand nothing less than maximum effort, I am not sure I can say the same of this group.

Where is this groups Michael Firrito, Drew Petrie, Boomer or Scooter?

If anyone else is like me, it's soo easy to lump this group's poor performances in with the general mediocrity of the last 20yrs. They dont get judged with fresh eyes but instead are seen as a continuation of all the dissapointments of the past.

I'm gonna try to think of this team as a kid who's had a year or so of learning reading and can string a few words together but if I asked them to read Harry Potter their failure is on me. In a comp where a few participants are reciting bloody Dostoevsky it's too soon to look for medals.

The key will be ****ing off those over confident kids who throw their hands up to read then end up sputtering out arrhythmic crap at half speed.

So we’ve now lost our last 7 (since the Sydney game) by an average of 10 goals. By all accounts that’s pretty shit.

It’s pretty bloody hard to sit through 120 minutes of football to see maybe a combined 4 minutes of good footy from these clowns.

So we’ve now lost our last 7 (since the Sydney game) by an average of 10 goals. By all accounts that’s pretty shit.

It’s pretty bloody hard to sit through 120 minutes of football to see maybe a combined 4 minutes of good footy from these clowns.
I don’t even know if we got those 4 minutes today.

At the game it didn’t feel like we got on top or had the better of the play for any part of the game.

Every time it looked like we might get going it was destroyed by another blunder that gave the Saints an easy goal or destroyed a chance for us to kick one.

Pretty shit for a club that needed to come out this week and show something. I’m not sure this playing group really cares that much about being humiliated week in week out?

I swear we’ve accepted mentally we’re shit and can’t win. We don’t have any confidence. That’s on the coaches and our training imo.

We’re is the belief? All so much talk about being “United” and blah blah but nothing happens in game.
The Admin and Coaching Group might be trying to portray a united front, but I’m not sure the playing group are drinking the kool aid?

There is a lot of words coming out, but not much evidence of them being anything but empty words.

This. This. And this again. Followed by this.

Pace is important when defending, but as you pointed out, not essential.

Name a top team that doesn't have pace across all three phases. Closing down space, getting to a ball first, getting separation on the lead, pressuring players. I'm sorry, speed is even more important now than ever.

Been at junior footy today so just watched the replay. Kangas are average. Worst thing they can do is come good 10 games to early. Get the priority pick. Make good decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back