Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

He is the best third tall we have in 2013 but has some big flaws. Very poor one on one and is a liability once the ball hits the deck. Daw might push next year while Curran looks good long term.

My two cents, I think the likes of Garner, Harper and Wood will make the third tall a resting ruck man as we move to a more mobile forward half.

Did Tarrant still have KY on his hands when he went out there ? Couldn't hold anything. Back to the two's to learn how to mark and bring Daw back in. And clearly if there's a spot of rain, or in the case of yesterday wind were screwed. Scott the game plan can't rely on playing on a billiard table with the roof on !

Well, maybe the "same shit" concerning commentary wouldn't happen if Taz stopped playing shit so often.
There are two issues I have with this line. Firstly I don't think he plays poorly half as much as some on here think. And secondly, I think people fail to see what he does well because it doesn't suit the narrative they have created for him.

Against Adelaide he is shit: Black and Petrie do **** all as well and the mids are well held. But only Taz is shit.

Against Geelong he is shit: Tasked with keeping Harry Taylor away from the contest, he does this so well the only time Taylor is noticed is in the last quarter when he is shipped forward. But again, Taz is shit.

Against Melbourne he is shit: Has a bad day in front of the sticks but makes former golden boy Pedo look like a chump, has 9 score involvements and 3 goal assists. Kicks straight and he is BoG. But again, Taz is shit.

Against Carlton he is shit: He is, but does as much as Black but only Taz is shit.

Now I am not saying that he does not have poor games and I am not saying that he is going to be a freaking champion of the game. What I am saying is that his efforts when good are glossed over or ignored because they don't support the narrative that he is a crap footballer. The reason for this it seems is that for some there must be a fall guy and now that Hansen is playing well down back we need a new one.

yeah, Tarrant has played a massive 16 more senior games then Black, how many of those 16 were in the backline?

check this out

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3338&tid2=13&pid2=2315&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

very similar stats by both, one is definitely the new shiny toy.

Come on RB96, the eyes aren't that deceptive.

Dangle Tarrant on the open market and 3-4 clubs will probably take a sniff.

Dangle Black on the open market and you'd have just about everyone in the league pulling up a seat to chat to us.

Against Adelaide he is shit: Black and Petrie do **** all as well and the mids are well held. But only Taz is shit.

This is 1 day old urban myth.

Black was far more damaging yesterday the way he made something from nothing at times.

Petrie placed himself deep and grafted, playing more of a captain's game.

Tarrant was stationed as a permanent forward and did nothing.

I'm not equating this to him being shit or trade bait. But that was the story of yesterday.

Come on RB96, the eyes aren't that deceptive.

got no idea what the heck you are talking about.

Dangle Tarrant on the open market and 3-4 clubs will probably take a sniff.

Dangle Black on the open market and you'd have just about everyone in the league pulling up a seat to chat to us.

so you want a team of champions, i'll take the champion team that took a little time to build, let's say a tad more then 40 games.

This is 1 day old urban myth.

Black was far more damaging yesterday the way he made something from nothing at times.

Petrie placed himself deep and grafted, playing more of a captain's game.

Tarrant was stationed as a permanent forward and did nothing.

I'm not equating this to him being shit or trade bait. But that was the story of yesterday.
Yet they had the ball only three more times each over the course of the game.

There are two issues I have with this line. Firstly I don't think he plays poorly half as much as some on here think. And secondly, I think people fail to see what he does well because it doesn't suit the narrative they have created for him.

Against Geelong he is shit: Tasked with keeping Harry Taylor away from the contest, he does this so well the only time Taylor is noticed is in the last quarter when he is shipped forward. But again, Taz is shit.

Against Melbourne he is shit: Has a bad day in front of the sticks but makes former golden boy Pedo look like a chump, has 9 score involvements and 3 goal assists. Kicks straight and he is BoG. But again, Taz is shit.

Against Carlton he is shit: He is, but does as much as Black but only Taz is shit.

Now I am not saying that he does not have poor games and I am not saying that he is going to be a freaking champion of the game. What I am saying is that his efforts when good are glossed over or ignored because they don't support the narrative that he is a crap footballer. The reason for this it seems is that for some there must be a fall guy and now that Hansen is playing well down back we need a new one.

Actually no, I (and many others) have been critical of Petrie last few years as being a flat track bully, so it is inaccurate to say Taz is the only forward criticised. Black should get far more leeway being younger, and in any case his stats suggest he is doing better than Taz.

As for the rest of your post, it would appear you are looking for reasons to promote how he is playing, no worries. But if you are going to twist and turn everything in this manner it is pointless discussing it as clearly we won't agree. The fall guy line can be used all you want, but in reality is just people who are voicing their opinion over his performance, nothing more.

You will find Wright, Anthony, Macmillan and so on will get the same treatment after their shockers, meaning it is not just about Taz at all.

I'm not trying to promote Taz. I'm just trying to be objective and applying the same standards as I do to him as I do any other player based on the information at hand. Shit, sarcastic threads potting the bloke that turn into discussions on trading him are, IMO, uncalled for.

I'm not trying to promote Taz. I'm just trying to be objective and applying the same standards as I do to him as I do any other player based on the information at hand. Shit, sarcastic threads potting the bloke that turn into discussions on trading him are, IMO, uncalled for.

Probably right there.

But if you did apply the same standards to Taz then I suspect you shoudl be reaching a different conclusion - which appears to be that all Nth supporters are glowing about all players other than Taz, with the latter criticised unfairly. It simply isn't the case.

Probably right there.

But if you did apply the same standards to Taz then I suspect you shoudl be reaching a different conclusion - which appears to be that all Nth supporters are glowing about all players other than Taz, with the latter criticised unfairly. It simply isn't the case.
No, it's not the case, but there is a growing trend for Taz being the target.

I saw it happen with Hansen, and now I am seeing it with Taz.

As I said, I don't think that Taz is going to be a star footballer, but I think he does have the tools to be a capable forward in a good side, so I'm not about trying to make everything he does look good. I just want to make it clear that I think he should be judged on performance and opportunity to perform, just the same as anyone else. I think that is getting lost in the urge to apportion blame for our frustrations.

I sat in the pocket for the Godees game, and the number of times Taz pushed up in front of me in the quarters where our goals were 100m away was astonishing. He was able to feed the ball into the forward line like a midfielder. But people are happy to say "forward got no goals therefore shit". BTron described exactly what he did against Geelong, but again - no goals so he failed.
So when he does put in a bad one, these geniuses can point to his horrible record of 3 shit games, and take their frustrations out on a bloke who - by most reasonable indicators - is at least a year away from having played enough footy to judge properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, it's not the case, but there is a growing trend for Taz being the target.

I saw it happen with Hansen, and now I am seeing it with Taz.

As I said, I don't think that Taz is going to be a star footballer, but I think he does have the tools to be a capable forward in a good side, so I'm not about trying to make everything he does look good. I just want to make it clear that I think he should be judged on performance and opportunity to perform, just the same as anyone else. I think that is getting lost in the urge to apportion blame for our frustrations.

Personally I have no issue with the bold, and agree it should apply to all our footballers. Anything other would be highly unfair.

Again though, I disagree it is the case or has anything to do with blame or that he is a target. I just think the response is more a reflection that many agree he had a very poor game, and far from the first time - nothing more.

Personally I have no issue with the bold, and agree it should apply to all our footballers. Anything other would be highly unfair.

Again though, I disagree it is the case or has anything to do with blame or that he is a target. I just think the response is more a reflection that many agree he had a very poor game, and far from the first time - nothing more.
That depends on what one determines as a poor game.

That depends on what one determines as a poor game.

Of course - as for all players.

Even more reason it is inaccurate to say that just because people think a player didn't perform that there is no merit to it, rather just because it's just a player being targetted or is the fall guy.

Taz took 2 contested marks on the weekend. Hansen likewise. Petrie, Black, Keys and Goldy one each. Thompson no contested marks. Lift your game Scotty. :stern look

A large part of our forwards inability to win ball was due to the defensive efforts of Adelaide coupled with our inability to handle the defensive cluster **** implemented by the Crows. Adelaide ran harder, wanted it more. We have started the majority of games this year switched on at the start. That can't be said for the Adelaide game. Based on yesterday's game I'd be trading half the list. :stern look

Taz took 2 contested marks on the weekend. Hansen likewise. Petrie, Black, Keys and Goldy one each. Thompson no contested marks. Lift your game Scotty. :stern look

A large part of our forwards inability to win ball was due to the defensive efforts of Adelaide coupled with our inability to handle the defensive cluster **** implemented by the Crows. Adelaide ran harder, wanted it more. We have started the majority of games this year switched on at the start. That can't be said for the Adelaide game. Based on yesterday's game I'd be trading half the list. :stern look

Why stop at half?

We could bundle them all together for pick one.

Why stop at half?

We could bundle them all together for pick one.
Why haven't you "bundled" this thread along with that Goldy thread into that Mega Merged trade thread of yours which for some strange reason also had the Scotty Mac signed to 2015 thread? :stern look

Man.. coming into this season, I really didn't think I'd be sitting here in August splitting hairs on how one forward is slightly less ineffective than another because all of them were poor. That's slightly depressing actually.

I'd like to just win, you know? And not bustle with apologists for mediocre footballers in the aftermath of yet another disappointment. Really, we're fossicking through a flea market for bits of crap that are not totally damaged, while other teams are spending their time at real stores. I'm over it.

Seeing yesterdays' game live, it's clear as daylight that Black tries to create more than Tarrant even when the opportunities aren't there, offers more at ground level. Overall better mark, better kick for goal. People need to use their eyes to watch the actual game, instead of analysing the stat sheets and looking for evidence that comes in increments of one, so that they can apologize for a big bloke who got blanketed out of the game yet again. And Petrie, we know what he can do - for mine he's a flat track bully who disappears when needed, and shouldn't have been chosen as captain after Swallow went down, but that's another story.

I just don't understand how we have this apparently fearsome triple tower set up, that gets completely obliterated week after week, and we wind up on here acting like seagulls squawking 'well, at least the chip I got wasn't completely burnt, yours was'. Why??

A third tall who can ruck with aggression is needed in that forward line, and we've got a couple of them on our list. Not sure why we persist with this.

got no idea what the heck you are talking about.

You cited stats to suggest Black and Tarrant played similar quality games.

My 'eyes' comment alluded to letting visual observation form part of your judgement too. Black was more energetic and productive. Stats might not indicate it but it's what I observed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back