Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst part of Tarrants game is not his hands (even though I agree they are concrete at times). It is ability to judge the ball in flight and use his body to advantage which is where he routinely gets towelled up. As such he would be absolutely murdered as a backman.
When was the last time a defender out marked him in a legit 1v1?

To me he brings the ball to ground even when outnumbered these days.

His hands has improved significantly, especially on the lead.

Still has his WTF moments though.

When was the last time a defender out marked him in a legit 1v1?

To me he brings the ball to ground even when outnumbered these days.

When he does position correctly and ball comes to advantage I agree, and he has improved I give you that.

But in the backline that wouldn't be the case so it is a still a massive no for me. Plus at ground level he could be badly exposed.

There are 4 maybe more Ruckmen evaluating their future at other clubs........Bellchambers is one of them. He is actually one Ruckmen who can go forward and actually contest in the air for a mark.........but for some, ex-basketballers that can jump and contest in a ruck duel is only required.

no doubt, but with north just resigning currie I'm sure a few clubs might be looking at that rather interestingly, daw is still improving, mabon is developing...we will see...

In 15 games Black has kicked 29 goals 18 behinds, in 10 games this year Tarrant has kicked 13 goals 8 behinds and Black is 19 months younger. The stats answer it for me.

What do you think the stats would be if Tarrant got to play on the third best defender instead of the first or second?

The worst part of Tarrants game is not his hands (even though I agree they are concrete at times). It is ability to judge the ball in flight and use his body to advantage which is where he routinely gets towelled up. As such I can't see him making it as a backman, perfect size or otherwise.

If he is to make it in my view it is as a workhorse who continues to present, takes a big bodied defender, and takes pressure off other forwards.

But still, I respect your opinion and guess we won't know for sure until (if) it happens.

Can someone please tell me when is long enough for developing a key forward? Tarrant was drafted in 2007 sure he has had 4 shoulder reco's but it will soon be 2014. Seriously when is the rule of thumb mark for saying we tried and we have given him every chance but it just isn't working? No hate for Robbie I hope he 'comes good' but what is the conventional timeline for developing a key forward?

Nah mate. We need to find some VFL players who have done sweet FA, trade our best players and try to win a flag with Werribees list.
I reckon we just need to get the Werribee under 10s coach in as an assistant. I think most of our blokes skipped U10s because apparently they keep ****ing up the stuff you learn then.

Can someone please tell me when is long enough for developing a key forward? Tarrant was drafted in 2007 sure he has had 4 shoulder reco's but it will soon be 2014. Seriously when is the rule of thumb mark for saying we tried and we have given him every chance but it just isn't working? No hate for Robbie I hope he 'comes good' but what is the conventional timeline for developing a key forward?
Maybe look at it in terms of games rather than years. He's currently played 35 and I'd say he's shown something in quite a few of the last 15 or so. Let's say he gets an injury free-run next year, well I'd say we should have a better idea of how it will pan out about the time he plays his 50th.

For starters Tarrant was very ordinary today and to compare Black with Tarrant is unfair. Black is in his first year of senior football and Tarrant is not. Black actually gave us something today where Tarrant did not. Petrie had one of the best defenders of the past ten years on him and he has proven that he can win a game off his own boot, Tarrant has never won a game off his own boot. In fact I dont think Tarrant has ever kicked more than 4 goals in a game.

If you are a key tall forward and you havent kicked more than 4 goals in a game in 25 games imo you have to think about a trade if the player has got some value.

Once again you give us nothing in the form of someone to put up for trade?
Drew's 7 against the Bullies was the first time he'd ever kicked more than 4 in a game. It was his 119th game. He'd also only ever kicked one bag of 4 before that, in game 46.

Edit: Apologies to Dish, he also kicked 4 against the Hawks in game 26.

Drew's 7 against the Bullies was the first time he'd ever kicked more than 4 in a game. It was his 119th game. He'd also only ever kicked one bag of 4 before that, in game 46.
No place for facts in this thread please CM.

I'd be upset if we were killing it in the middle and he was spudding it up with an open forward line, but we were deplorable in the middle and the Crows deployed the flood, not sure what people expect a key forward to do in those situations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe look at it in terms of games rather than years. He's currently played 35 and I'd say he's shown something in quite a few of the last 15 or so. Let's say he gets an injury free-run next year, well I'd say we should have a better idea of how it will pan out about the time he plays his 50th.

Thanks CM, going by the number of games played makes sense and is generally a good bench mark but how long would a club generally persist with a player in terms of seasons before the investment outweighs the potential return? From your response i'm guessing a 'reasonable' length of investment into Tarrant would be by the end of next season?

The fact is players have to be played to their strengths. I brilliant move this year has been Hansen to play loose in the back line with his strong marking together with his great endurance so he is able to float forward to snag a goal and chip in with the forward press.

To me if your hands are like concrete but you move well and are good in the body contests there is only one position for you and that is down back.

He started his career in the backline and imo he showed some more consistent form down there.

I don't know would 28 games be enough?

after 28 games John Longmire had kicked 31 goals.

lucky in the 29th game he kicked a lazy 12 or he could have been delisted.

I don't know would 28 games be enough?

after 28 games John Longmire had kicked 31 goals.

lucky in the 29th game he kicked a lazy 12 or he could have been delisted.
Didn't Longmire begin his career in defence? He was also about 19 years old.

Tarrant is now 24 and entering his prime.

Didn't Longmire begin his career in defence? He was also about 19 years old.

Tarrant is now 24 and entering his prime.

oh nothing gets past you Husk.

pretty sure Tarrant started his career in defence too.

I dont think you can say 24 is entering your prime when you have only played 35 games, by 26 Longmire's prime had come and gone he was shot with stuffed knees, played a few more years but we never got to see the best he had to offer, he should have kicked more goals then Lockett.

ps. if you use the comparison between Longers and Black, like you tried with Longers and Tarrant, Black would fail too.;)

I'm not sure anyone should be pointing the finger at any fwd who's played less than forty games, when we have a fwd who's played 200+ and he couldn't get a kick. Just sayin.

Shhh

Sense and analytical skills need not apply.

Needs to learn how to mark the ball.... if he cant do that then it doesn't matter how well he does anything else.... unless he is Lance Franklin of course.... but Tarrant's marking is probably even worse than his......

ps. if you use the comparison between Longers and Black, like you tried with Longers and Tarrant, Black would fail too.;)
P.S. I wasn't the one who brought up the Longmire and Tarrant comparison.

Also in case you hadn't bothered to read the thread I agree Tarrant has AFL qualities, I am just unsure they equate to being a forward.

P.S. I wasn't the one who brought up the Longmire and Tarrant comparison.

Also in case you hadn't bothered to read the thread I agree Tarrant has AFL qualities, I am just unsure they equate to being a forward.

I was talking about Longmire and a time that you call it quits on evaluating a players worth, you compared Tarrant's and Longers age and experience.

Needs to learn how to mark the ball.... if he cant do that then it doesn't matter how well he does anything else.... unless he is Lance Franklin of course.... but Tarrant's marking is probably even worse than his......

Tazz can really clunk them. Believe it or not, when I seen him in pre-season he was the form forward, he clunked anything that went his way and he was opposed to our AA defender Scott Thompson.

I honestly believe it is all in between the ears with Tazz (much like it was with Lachie) you can see when his confidence is up because he really flys for the ball with authority (only seen this once or twice in seniors) he is only young in KP terms an with his workrate I have no doubt that it will "click" with him.

Marking is like anything in football if your mind is in the wrong place it can look like nothing is going for you at all. You only have to look at Hansen and Petrie's early career form to see this.

People are way too quick to stick the boots in here.

In saying all that I do think Taz deserves a spell to give Currie or Daw an opportunity

5 minutes into the 2nd quarter we are and Tarrant is certainly showing us his talents. Grima has gone off so lets see if BS makes a change for the 1st time in his career and put Taz down back where he should be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back