Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a divisive figure, is Robbie.

Expect a leaner version next year. He'll present himself as a big strong unit as always, but having the quickest of chats to him in the gym about a month back, I got the indication that he'll strip it back a little and play slightly leaner.

He's starting 22 and so he should be. An uninterrupted pre-season should be his first target. Providing that box is ticked, it looms as an important season for him.

I actually thought he looked pretty good in his first couple of games this season before the injury. He presented and marked well, albeit against Mitch Brown in Rd. 2 and in my eyes, looked ready to assume more of a forward 50 presence, after all of his supplementary work up the ground (which is important to his overall package and contribution to the side).

I'll continue to back him in, and I expect him to have a productive season next year.

However, no matter which way you cut it, if he struggles with his output and consistency, he may fall victim to a change-up of forward structure if the match committee think his contribution is not significant enough.

Good luck to him.

Daw can play.

He is being held back by the fact that he is knackered after one effort. He needs a fitness base far and away above what he currently has to allow him to make a consistent impact.

He is a far better mark than Robbie, has the ability to go into the ruck and be more than serviceable and is a better kick IMO. However, his position is currently being held down by our best forward who will need to make way before Majak can be seen as a viable option.
Daw's actually recovering from a knee injury that he had surgery on at seasons end. He injured himself against the lions early on.

Agree with that. I don't like the defensive cutting down of Majak to support Tarrant. The post where Jay-Z (a normally sensible poster) brought out those absurd percentages and the Anthony/Boomer analogy was a shocker. I don't like it when people bring up Hansen either because I've never considered Tarrant to be anywhere near as talented.

Having said that, I don't think Tarrant is tracking that badly at all. He took some pretty strong grabs this year despite the concrete hands tag. With Majak and Wood's injuries his spot seems pretty safe for at least the first half of the year. But I expect Currie to play a fair bit of footy, so I'm very interested to see how he fits in.

I'll go with 33.25 for a goal prediction.
I'll admit the Anthony / Boomer analogy was a step too far but any posts saying Daw is even close to being able to out perform Robbie seem mind numbingly stupid to me. I just don't get why the likes of Daw/McKenzie/Garner/Greenwood are given such leniency on here while the Tarrant/Gibson/MacMillan/Grima group get smashed for every little issue/mistake. Anyway, that's the joys of the interwebz for ya

Sent from my Samsung iPhone using Tapatalk 4

I'll admit the Anthony / Boomer analogy was a step too far but any posts saying Daw is even close to being able to out perform Robbie seem mind numbingly stupid to me. I just don't get why the likes of Daw/McKenzie/Garner/Greenwood are given such leniency on here while the Tarrant/Gibson/MacMillan/Grima group get smashed for every little issue/mistake. Anyway, that's the joys of the interwebz for ya

Lets get real JayZ any post that suggests that Tarrant is 300% better or 100% better in whatever you listed than what Daw is, is mind numbingly stupid.

Tarrant has room to improve & is currently a very capable player. He struggles to get separation even with these complex leading patterns you suggested. He struggles even with his size to out body people for marks. Is he ahead of Daw? absolutely he is on exposed form. Daw has a long long way to go to be a regular AFL footballer, but realistically so does Tarrant. The spot he currently occupies is because he is better & ahead of where others on the list are at. He will get first crack at that role & he deserves it.

The forward line is the least of the issue at the club because they can score so heavily. With lots of options sitting in the wings, there was a reason the club targeted a player probably top 3 in the comp for forward pressure. That would be because they see the talls as a strength & want to keep going with it but the crumbing as a weakness.

The post l put forward was mostly looking at keeping Petrie forward & assisting Goldy in the ruck. Looking to save the major problem as l see it with the fade outs. Surely people here, including you, realise the importance of a strong Goldstein in the last quarter. Make no doubt that would be a major discussion point off field in Utah & through the pre season.

So your twist on my email that Daw may be able to out perform Tarrant was not my reason for him being included, more the ruck option he provides for structure. Daw is injured & its effectively a moot point but if fade outs occur again next year its Drew or Hansen in the ruck as the side currently sits neither is the best option which ever team gets a break from the centre you would want both of these guys 30 from goal. I cant see Currie playing unless one of the talls from last year misses out which is unlikely. So my reasoning is Daw offers a bit forward & in the ruck & if fit would be best option as Goldys replacement for 7-8 minutes on the ball a quarter. He still needs a tank to run games out that's a given & the knee is a setback for him as likely little aerobic gain will be achieved off season but for what he has shown he COULD do he is an exciting prospect he has genuine X factor.
Will he replace Robbie Tarrant certainly not, Tarrant will start. Does Tarrant need more to stay ahead of the 2-3 very mobile players who are capable of playing forward? Like l suggested in my original post 2 goals a game avg or just over will be good output for Robbie, l am not a Tarrant hater he is a pup in games terms, im just discussing structure . It has been shown he is often a candidate to get the red vest if game situation dictates we need run and a forced change is required. He needs more games where he does a little more you would have to agree with that, the excuses of the shoulders are over now he is half way through a career with only 38 games. Changes come fast if you don't grab your spot, it happened to Harper & Sam Wright both looked like long term players now both really need to stay fit & make inroads.
This needs to be his year & he is capable of kicking 50 goals but does need to get near that.

Lets get real JayZ any post that suggests that Tarrant is 300% better tor 100% better in whatever you listed than what Daw is, is mind numbingly stupid.

Tarrant has room to improve & is currently a very capable player. He struggles to get separation even with these complex leading patterns you suggested. He struggles even with his size to out body people for marks. Is he ahead of Daw? absolutely he is on exposed form. Daw has a long long way to go to be a regular AFL footballer, but realistically so does Tarrant. The spot he currently occupies is because he is better & ahead of where others on the list are at. He will get first crack at that role & he deserves it.

The forward line is the least of the issue at the club because they can score so heavily. With lots of options sitting in the wings, there was a reason the club targeted a player probably top 3 in the comp for forward pressure. That would be because they see the talls as a strength & want to keep going with it but the crumbing as a weakness.

The post l put forward was mostly looking at keeping Petrie forward & assisting Goldy in the ruck. Looking to save the major problem as l see it with the fade outs. Surely people here, including you, realise the importance of a strong Goldstein in the last quarter. Make no doubt that would be a major discussion point off field in Utah & through the pre season.

So your twist on my email that Daw may be able to out perform Tarrant was not my reason for him being included, more the ruck option he provides for structure. Daw is injured & its effectively a moot point but if fade outs occur again next year its Drew or Hansen in the ruck as the side currently sits neither is the best option which ever team gets a break from the centre you would want both of these guys 30 from goal. I cant see Currie playing unless one of the talls from last year misses out which is unlikely. So my reasoning is Daw offers a bit forward & in the ruck & if fit would be best option as Goldys replacement for 7-8 minutes on the ball a quarter. He still needs a tank to run games out that's a given & the knee is a setback for him as likely little aerobic gain will be achieved off season but for what he has shown he COULD do he is an exciting prospect he has genuine X factor.
Will he replace Robbie Tarrant certainly not, Tarrant will start. Does Tarrant need more to stay ahead of the 2-3 very mobile players who are capable of playing forward? Like l suggested in my original post 2 goals a game avg or just over will be good output for Robbie, l am not a Tarrant hater he is a pup in games terms, im just discussion structure . It has been shown he is often a candidate to get the red vest if game situation dictates we need run and a forced change is required. He needs more games where he does a little more you would have to agree with that, the excuses of the shoulders are over now he is half way through a career with only 38 games. Changes come fast if you don't grab your spot, it happened to Harper & Sam Wright both looked like long term players now both really need to stay fit & make inroads.
This needs to be his year & he is capable of kicking 50 goals but does need to get near that.

First of all, those percentages weren't meant to be a comparison between Tarrant and Daw. They have different strengths and weaknesses. I was just identifying a number of areas Daw needs to improve on before he would be considered best 22 ahead of Robbie. The one area where Tarrant's strengths line up with Daw's weaknesses is leading patterns. Tarrant's leads often create space for the other forwards whereas When we played the Daw/Petrie/Black combo we constantly had 2 or 3 of them flying for the same mark and spoiling each other. I'm not saying that combo can't work, but there is a lot of work to do before it would be as effective as the current group.

I agree the forward line is the least of our worries and that the Goldy fade out issue is somewhat of a concern. However, based on the last 6 or so weeks of 2013, it seems the current direction the coach is taking is to keep his 3 forwards as they are and use a combo of Drew and Black to give Goldy that chop out. If that doesn't work they will need to decide if they can play those 3 plus Currie/Daw or if one of them is good enough to take Tarrant's spot

First of all, those percentages weren't meant to be a comparison between Tarrant and Daw. They haven't different strengths and weaknesses. I was just identifying a number of areas Daw needs to improve on before he would be considered best 22 ahead of Robbie. The one area where Tarrant's strengths line up with Daw's weaknesses is leading patterns. Tarrant's leads often create space for the other forwards whereas When we played the Daw/Petrie/Black combo we constantly had 2 or 3 of them flying for the same mark and spoiling each other. I'm not saying that combo can't work, but there is a lot of work to do before it would be as effective as the current group.

I agree the forward line is the least of our worries and that the Goldy fade out issue is somewhat of a concern. However, based on the last 6 or so weeks of 2013, it seems the current direction the coach is taking is to keep his 3 forwards as they are and use a combo of Drew and Black to give Goldy that chop out. If that doesn't work they will need to decide if they can play those 3 plus Currie/Daw or if one of them is good enough to take Tarrant's spot

Thanks for a considered response JayZ, l agree with all of that.

Whichever way it goes with all positions, l hope its similar to Mullet who took McMahon spot because he earnt it & because he has expanded on the role if that continues to happen then we will be in a really strong position.

Alright, probably about time I put a list together...it's looking very crowded in the low 30's

Let me know if I've missed anyone.

LetsGoKangas - 11.5
The big lebowski - 21.28
KingPetrie - 25.17
Black2Blue - 25.17
Dan - 27.20
Spitta2Azza - 28.9
Daz - 30.25
Orange Peanut - 30.33
Jlind78 - 32.23
AGC - 32.24
Tazza - 33.22
Shinboner '07 - 33.24
NiceCunnington - 33.25
Wazza03 - 36.15
Brett33 - 36.20
Roos_fanatic08 - 39.22
Jay-Z - 39.23

Including VFL goals, I predict;

If just for 1s, I predict;

Reckon he will get rid of the 2013 yips, normally a beautiful kick and we'll see more if it in 2014.

I would like to see Tarrant tried at CHB/Back Pocket when Grima gets his inevitable injury next year. I think Robbie would make a good CHB.

Therefore I predict Tarrant to kick 22.14 playing the swingman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

29.18 in the most potent forward line in the AFL.

I would like to see Tarrant tried at CHB/Back Pocket when Grima gets his inevitable injury next year. I think Robbie would make a good CHB.

Therefore I predict Tarrant to kick 22.14 playing the swingman.

Really BE? Robbie is a leading forward, plays smaller than his size suggests.

Backline players need to judge the ball in the air, and have sound body positioning - Robbie has neither and would get hurt defensively. His qualities suit a fwd (leading patterns, hard working, good kick)

If he makes it as a forward great, but I think the calls for him to go back are way off. He is no Hansen, who always showed plenty early. It shouldn't be used as a guide.

I found it interesting that Drew came back from the break as early as he did, taking part in the first time trial of the year. Possible flag for spending more time assisting the Goldmember? I expect the coach to continue with the rotating target policy and think it's possible Taz may find himself less of a decoy. A return in the high 30s would be pleasing and anything in the 40s will see us playing as a serious football side. I'll plump for 36.18

Really BE? Robbie is a leading forward, plays smaller than his size suggests.

Backline players need to judge the ball in the air, and have sound body positioning - Robbie has neither and would get hurt defensively. His qualities suit a fwd (leading patterns, hard working, good kick)

If he makes it as a forward great, but I think the calls for him to go back are way off. He is no Hansen, who always showed plenty early. It shouldn't be used as a guide.

He would make a better CHB, just like his Bro.

He would make a better CHB, just like his Bro.

Well, I don't agree. Chris was considerably more talented than Robbie, plus their attributes are different.

But fair enough, you may be proven right if he is sent back. Hansen was never a fwd and was poorly used, I see Robbie as a fwd only - lets wait and see.

Robbie is gradually improving - even the concrete hands are beginning to disappear.

I don't see him playing any VFL footy in 2014. He'll get his goalkicking right, like LT did.

Then all that's left is one-on-one marking where bodywork is required. He's fine on the lead and rarely outmarked in a pack.

By the end of the season I was becoming pro-Tarrant, despite the yips.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back