Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloke behind me, sadly (or maybe luckily) too far away to identify yelled out "get up ya ******" as the cart was coming out. Stay classy.
Just makes me want next week even more!!! The punk that was sitting near me was almost crying by the time I left, tried to shake my hand, I refused.

Just seemed to be everywhere he needed to be last night. My knock on him is that he goes missing for stretches of games, which is understandable given he's 15 years old, but last night I felt like every third contest, Kayne was peeling himself off the turf after laying a tackle. His stats won't show that, of course, but again, I felt like his pressure was up, he was genuinely in the game, and he made a difference in the first half. Ripping mark in the pocket, and an equally good kick for goal. I don't like him up the ground as much as I feel his field kicking lacks polish (something which can be fixed with many preseasons) but close to goals, where he plays on instinct and desire, he is an animal.

His commitment to the contest cannot be understated. He would have been a 100% lock for the team next week, probably at the expense of Nahas, but his unfortunate knockout might set him back. I also think he would have been in trouble for the knee to Ellis' (?) face. He changed his tackling position so his knee was within striking distance, demonstrating intent. I think he could probably get a week.

He also appears to be one of the players in our list who is born to play in September. Grows a 12 inch horn whenever spring rolls around. Seriously, the increase in both effectiveness and desire between his regular season games and what he displayed last night (yes obviously a regular season game but in the lead in to finals) is obvious.

Should definitely get a shot during finals.

We already new he was going to be a gun due to his finals appearances last year. Love the way he plays, before the injury last night you just got the sense that he has arrived, he is going to be a champion player for our club.

Love this kid but surely he cannot play after being knocked out.

Yeah thats my thinking aswell, ecspecially after channel 7 went on about it for so long. There will be questions asked if he plays.

Would be so unlucky if he were to miss. He made an impact last year in the finals and you could see him lift to the task last night.

Just love the way this kid goes about his footy. Fingers crossed he recovers well and does so quickly.
Absolutely. I beleive he should consider wearing a soft shell helmet the way he attacks the contest. ( speaking more from the contest with rewoldt rather than the elbow he copped to the head).

It definately wouldnt be seen as a show of weakness given the courage this bloke displays avery time he competes.

And me personally, i want to see a fair bit more of this bloke as i love the way he goes about it. And that's not going to happen if he keeps accumulating knocks like he had been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to jump the gun because the medical guys will make the call. But I'd be shocked if Turner played next week, and alarmed even. Remember, Leigh Adams is still with the club. He should be there and part of the discussion. It's off the radar in Australia, and just a movie, but a new movie (with the Fresh Prince of Bel Air) is coming out about concussions in the NFL. I don't give a crap about the movie. But the AFL's lawyers, and I hope North's management, realise their obligation is to the long-term welfare of the player. Kayne would probably run through a lion's den for a chance to play Richmond at the G in a final. I believe he barracked for the Tigers as a kid. But surely one or two games in September is not worth a lifetime of damage. Well, of course it's not. I mean ask yourself, if that was your brother or son out there, would you want him playing next week? I'm not a big over-reactor. But head injuries...just not worth chancing it.

I don't want to jump the gun because the medical guys will make the call. But I'd be shocked if Turner played next week, and alarmed even. Remember, Leigh Adams is still with the club. He should be there and part of the discussion. It's off the radar in Australia, and just a movie, but a new movie (with the Fresh Prince of Bel Air) is coming out about concussions in the NFL. I don't give a crap about the movie. But the AFL's lawyers, and I hope North's management, realise their obligation is to the long-term welfare of the player. Kayne would probably run through a lion's den for a chance to play Richmond at the G in a final. I believe he barracked for the Tigers as a kid. But surely one or two games in September is not worth a lifetime of damage. Well, of course it's not. I mean ask yourself, if that was your brother or son out there, would you want him playing next week? I'm not a big over-reactor. But head injuries...just not worth chancing it.
Yeah spot on mate, he is no chance to play. But I tell you what should we win, and get a second final against a weary returning from Perth team of asshats (not sure if it would be Hawks or Swans) I would back him in to do just what he did last night!

Yeah thats my thinking aswell, ecspecially after channel 7 went on about it for so long. There will be questions asked if he plays.

Would be so unlucky if he were to miss. He made an impact last year in the finals and you could see him lift to the task last night.
I'd like the MRP to look closely at the marking contest. It's not okay for Ch 7 to decide there's nothing to see here and not bother to replay it a few times like they would have had it been JZ' elbow hitting a Richmond player.

I'd like the MRP to look closely at the marking contest. It's not okay for Ch 7 to decide there's nothing to see here and not bother to replay it a few times like they would have had it been JZ' elbow hitting a Richmond player.

I got the distinct impression we were on the nose with 7 last night...

I got the distinct impression we were on the nose with 7 last night...

Yeah. It's okay for Carlton to stink it up for the entire year but not okay for us to be competitive fielding a below strength team. Shame North, shame.

Could be one of the biggest steals in recent drafting. Born to play finals. Hoping he is ok and that we don't rush him back and put him at further risk.

That NFL player that killed himself by shooting himself in the chest, leaving a suicide note asking for his brain to be studied and blaming concussions for his depression and eventual suicide did make everyone sit up and take notice. I'm pretty sure that when they cut his brain up and examined it and found serious damage that they could definitely link to repeated concussions. Since then the afl and nrl have both become more serious about protecting the head. This is why the game seems to be going soft, since that guy shot himself both codes have taken concussions more seriously. Its probably a good thing tho. I'd hate to see Turner or any number of others get serious depression after providing us so much enjoyment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

Back