Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

NORTH Melbourne teenager Kayne Turner is suddenly a hot chance to continue his September streak and play in Sunday’s elimination final against Richmond — if he is cleared of concussion.

Turner, 19, was blooded in August last year and played in all three of the Kangaroos’ finals while still at high school.

The little man was dropped after Round 18 but his courageous return as one of the “nine replacements” in Friday night’s loss to Richmond is likely to win him the final Rising Star nomination and create a selection headache at Arden St.

Coach Brad Scott is a huge fan of Turner with his goal nous and sheer toughness golden attributes in finals.

Adding to Turner’s hopes is the growing speculation small forward Lindsay Thomas is no certainty to return from a foot injury, believed to be plantar fascia.

Turner and vice-captain Jack Ziebell suffered head knocks late in the loss to the Tigers and while Turner’s was more significant, both will almost certainly be passed fit.

Turner was stretchered off but was speaking with his family in the rooms after the final siren and his cause is aided by the nine-day turnaround.

He will undergo medical assessments and concussion testing this week.

Turner’s night peaked when he roved a marking contest at full speed and snapped a goal off three steps shortly after halftime.

He was the shining light of Round 23, finishing with three goals and five tackles as the Kangaroos tried to soften up a full-strength Richmond.

But out-of-contract Sudanese ruckman Majak Daw’s dazzling first half against Tigers ruckman Ivan Maric isn’t expected to win him a shock finals appearance.

The Roos were favoured to stick with a three-pronged attack Drew Petrie, Jarrad Waite and Ben Brown with Todd Goldstein certain to battle Maric in the ruck.

Kangaroos star Nick Dal Santo said Turner was built for September.

“The way that he put his body on the line holds up in finals football,” Dal Santo said.

“I know he got knocked out, but he’s around the mark and always has been anyway.”

Scott is expected to make at least eight this week with Goldstein, Dal Santo, Higgins, Waite, captain Andrew Swallow, defender Scott Thompson, toughnut Ben Cunnington and Sam Wright set to return.

“The way Kayne Turner played he’s going to be hard to push out of our side,” Scott said.

“I thought he was terrific and seized his opportunity.”

Criminally underrated, never even gets a mention for how good his handballing is yet other lesser handballers get gushed over.
'Toughnut Ben Cunnington' is such a disservice to the type of player that he actually is.

'Toughnut Ben Cunnington' is such a disservice to the type of player that he actually is.

His performances in the next few weeks will allow him to break that stigma, and gain some respect. He is one that really needs to deliver on Sunday, and can absolutely not afford to go missing. Players are made at this time of year, and if he wants respect, this is where he will earn it.

His performances in the next few weeks will allow him to break that stigma, and gain some respect. He is one that really needs to deliver on Sunday, and can absolutely not afford to go missing. Players are made at this time of year, and if he wants respect, this is where he will earn it.
I think theres more than just Ben looking to do that this weekend. Wright did it last year, who's gonna do it this year???

Nothing said here about Sugar's performance in the PF but I thought he was very good and played close to his best game for the club. Certainly possession wise would surely be the most he has had.

I'm looking forward to seeing next year, when he might get a bit of time in the midfield. 2016 could be a very good year for this boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing said here about Sugar's performance in the PF but I thought he was very good and played close to his best game for the club. Certainly possession wise would surely be the most he has had.

I'm looking forward to seeing next year, when he might get a bit of time in the midfield. 2016 could be a very good year for this boy.
Yep.

He will put on some size I would have thought. Hopefully not too much too soon.

I know his cousin and the family think he still had some growing height wise to do.

Exciting prospect.

If we keep drafting competitors we are half a chance.

Still a long way to go with Sugar, but all the foundations are there! needs to start getting his hands on the pill more, was super impressed with his overhead marking late in the season
The ascendancy of Garner and addition of Anderson means he has to rise with them or get left behind. PF I thought was very encouraging.

I don't get a chance to watch a lot of VFL.
What position does Kayne play in the VFL and does he get a lot of touches at that level?

I don't get a chance to watch a lot of VFL.
What position does Kayne play in the VFL and does he get a lot of touches at that level?
Half forward and nope, not a lot.

He average 12.6 touches a game at VFL level in 2015 (9.2 at AFL level) and has only broken 20+ touches once in his VFL career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

Back