Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

My memory is fading on this one, did Darren Crocker after learning he didn't make the 99 GF side get chaired from the training track after announcing he'd retired?

Agree with the Boomer comments and also realise Scott didn't handle the management of his veterans at all well. Far too much latitude in the media and it's continuing with teams election for the final.

I don't think people realise that Boomer was fairly lucky to get this year... 2016 was our last chance to have a crack at a flag and everybody knew it. Imagine if we weren't competing, he might not have even had the chance to break his record

If people actually listened to the conference they would realise that Scott justifies every avenue that suggests it was for any other reason than the future of the club.

I think the management are having a hot crack at making North a destination club. With all the free publicity and our now fairly weighty war chest - I'm excited to say I think we're on our way

I still don't think Harvey will play for another club next year, despite the rumor gaining traction. I mean physically he is more than capable but I just think being seen as a one club player means too much to him to throw away, even with how things have ended.

Hasn't he said numerous times that being a one club player and life member of the NMFC is his biggest accomplishment?

And IIRC the day after we delisted him his manger said it was unlikely that he'd play on elsewhere.

I'll be absolutely shocked and gutted if he plays AFL in 2017.

This is a very controversial opinion but I will lose a bit of respect for Boomer if he does choose to play on at another club, especially if it's not a club competition for a flag. I hope he does the right thing (by the club and his legacy) and hangs up the boots

This is a very controversial opinion but I will lose a bit of respect for Boomer if he does choose to play on at another club, especially if it's not a club competition for a flag. I hope he does the right thing (by the club and his legacy) and hangs up the boots

Why? Shouldn't he be allowed to continue to do what he loves?

Why? Shouldn't he be allowed TO continue to do what he loves?
Yes, he absolutely can. But to my mind it will diminish his legacy and contradict his past statements that he was only interested in being a one club player and achieving another flag for North. If he goes on and wins a flag, I will say good on him (albeit sadly). If he goes to a Saint Kilda (or similar) I will view him as somewhat selfish

Yes, he absolutely can. But to my mind it will diminish his legacy and contradict his past statements that he was only interested in being a one club player and achieving another flag for North. If he goes on and wins a flag, I will say good on him (albeit sadly). If he goes to a Saint Kilda (or similar) I will view him as somewhat selfish

I think the one club player refers to him not choosing to leave North, while we were still offering contracts.

Once we take that away, can't begrudge the guy continuing to do what he loves and providing for his family.

I think the one club player refers to him not choosing to leave North, while we were still offering contracts.

Once we take that away, can't begrudge the guy continuing to do what he loves and providing for his family.
Lol, food to his family. The guy has played at the highest level for 21 years and is known as a cheapskate. I'd be seriously worried if he was concerned about providing food for his family.

What you've expressed is kinda my concern though. If he does go on and its not for a flag then the only reasons left (money / proving the club wrong) have selfish connotations attached

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, food to his family. The guy has played at the highest level for 21 years and is known as a cheapskate. I'd be seriously worried if he was concerned about providing food for his family.

What you've expressed is kinda my concern though. If he does go on and its not for a flag then the only reasons left (money / proving the club wrong) is selfish
It's more than just about the money mate. Football, the game itself, is his love and passion.

I'll be as devastated as you if he plays on but you can't begrudge him for it.

What you've expressed is kinda my concern though. If he does go on and its not for a flag then the only reasons left (money / proving the club wrong) is selfish

Nah, can't buy it.

Yep, played for 21 seasons. But still only 38, and who knows what the future holds. A club offers him $250k a year to do what he is passionate about and will never be able to go back to. Tough to turn down.

Don't see what is wrong about playing for money. I only go to work for the money. And not every player is playing for a flag. Were the Essendon players selfish for fronting up and taking pay chequer this year, knowing they couldn't win the flag?

Would be absolutely devastated if he played on for another team next year. I wouldn't hold it against him, doing something he loves and excels at but it would just be so wrong to see him in another guernsey.

Well i can 100% say no draftee will be able to match him, not even the #1 pick!
yep. If we don't get a quality backmen or a midfielder with pace we shouldn't get anyone and go to the draft and save face

Boomer has been doing a building course and running some building development projects on the side for the last couple of years. He just built his dad a house.

In his book he said that last time he disagreed with North on a contract he was going to retire and go play in the suburbs with his brother for a few years so that might still be what he does. If he moves on to a building career he won't be short on money so I don't think that will be a factor at all. There would be a good chance he would earn more as a building developer

Boomer would be a selfish guy because most elite athletes have to be in order to do the preparation required to play at the elite level. He is so competitive that I would be shocked if he retired at the end of the year. In saying that though - I actually think if he takes the time to sit down and think about it - now would be the best time to do it. Everyone telling him he has another year or 2 in him and that we were mad to let him go - North on the decline a little so at least his last game is in a finals series at maximum intensity.

Better than going to a new club and playing with a completely new group of people for one year or 2 and then retiring amongst that group. If he's lucky he can go play with the Bont and he can chair him off single handedly in his last game.

Boomer is the sort of player that when a game gets blown open, he is at his most effective breaking lines, getting sneaky goals over the back etc. But the fact that the defensive side of his game is so weak is what almost makes him a liability when we're on the defense. Watch him in an aerial contest, he won't even try to go up and a lot of the time you see him duck out or move to the side when someone is coming behind him to protect him from being speccied.

Absolutely understandable too, he's and older guy and is all about self-preservation. It's this mentality that I'm sure is the reason he's lasted so long. Not to discredit him either, I can guarantee you when I'm 38 I'm not going to want knees in my back/shoulders coming in at high speeds. But unfortunately due to our midfield meatgrinder we're almost 100% dependent on aerial contests that come to ground to create a stoppage, we do this because we're lacking pace in the midfield to chase down any run. If you don't believe me go watch any game from this season in which if we don't force a stoppage and turn it over, it just spills over the back and they have a clean run at goal.

Full disclaimer: I love Boomer. I was indoctrinated into being a North supporter the day I was born (and am glad about it). So my whole life I've watched the guy play for the Roos. But the way I see it, we can't justify having icing on the cake players when we don't even have the capacity to fully bake a cake yet. The club made a big call, and we could all argue forever whether or not he deserved another year. But as it stands at the end of 2016 we need some big changes if we're to contend and the NMFC is taking the necessary actions to do so. Just hope our bomb it down the wing game plan is also one of those changes...

Never thought it would end.

So often a shining light through some of the toughest periods this club had ever had.

This champion has provided me so many highlights watching the footy over the years. Got so much out of himself and I truly believe his best has been quite under estimated by the wider public. At stages I feel he was a top 10 player in the comp, despite always copping a tag and having limited support.

Thanks for the good times boom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back