Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Take your ....'s elsewhere. He might have already been told a contract will be tabled and the specifics can be negotiated at season's end. Regardless potting Boomer is poor form.

No he hasent. Everyone knows boomer is a bit selfish mate get over it, it's what has made him a champion player.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-12/my-form-says-100-per-cent-to-play-on-boomer

My form says '100 per cent' to play on: Boomer
Giulio Di Giorgio September 12, 2016 11:05 PM

NORTH Melbourne champion Brent Harvey believes he is still capable of playing at the elite level, adding he can "100 per cent" play on in 2017.

The AFL games record holder will sit down with his manager Shane Casley in the coming days to discuss his playing future after his 432-game, 21-season career with North came to an end in Saturday night's 62-point elimination final loss to Adelaide.

Harvey along with fellow departing Kangaroos Nick Dal Santo, Michael Firrito and Drew Petrie were applauded off Adelaide Oval in an emotional night for the club.

Harvey said he maintained the view that his form warranted another contract extension.

"I understand the direction he [Kangaroos coach Brad Scott] wants to take, 100 per cent, but I don't agree because I still think my footy's got so much to offer," Harvey told Channel Nine on Monday night.

"I think my football says 'yes, absolutely you can go around again', and Brad said that to me.

"He goes, 'You're in our top handful of players. Will you be next year? Yeah, you probably will be next year as well but looking forward (to) 2018, '19, '20 if you do that, we're not blooding these young guys'.

"I understand his vision (but) I don't agree with it because I feel like my footy says, '100 per cent you've got to play next year'."

Harvey said he broke down in tears with teammate and close friend Lindsay Thomas when he was informed he would not be offered a new contract.

"I don't think it hit home until I walked downstairs and Lindsay knew that I was in contact with the football club and finding out," Harvey said.

"Lindsay came over to me and said, 'How'd you go?' … and I just went 'thumbs down' and he went, 'Really?'

"He came over and gave me a hug and we both cried. It was pretty emotional."

He doesn't owe us anything... but I hope he doesn't go on. He's gone out at 38 years old with everyone saying he could keep going. In 5 years that will be worth more IMHO.

Boomer you will have to pick up your defensive game mate but I know you can do it. Not to prove North wrong, but to prove yourself right!
You play a year as forward pocket and you will smoke it. You don't owe North anything - North didn't want you, now you do as you please.
Go for it, I will still support you (except when playing us of course)

Geeze. This must be the biggest choccies to boiled lollies years ever.

Geez it has stiff competition...

49,50,74,76,78,79,83,93,94,97FFS,98, 2014 after we beat Sydney in Sydney.

1997 was the worst.... We walked into the ground round 1of 1997 as reigning premiers with the 2 best players in the competition... and both are carried off within an hour. Carey done for 14 weeks, McKernan knee.

I don't know about you but that took the jam outta my donut pretty quickly.

Geez it has stiff competition...

49,50,74,76,78,79,83,93,94,97FFS,98, 2014 after we beat Sydney in Sydney.

1997 was the worst.... We walked into the ground round 1of 1997 as reigning premiers with the 2 best players in the competition... and both are carried off within an hour. Carey done for 14 weeks, McKernan knee.

I don't know about you but that took the jam outta my donut pretty quickly.

Yeh but .. in all of those except the year between 1997 and 1999 and perhaps 1993 and a teeny bit 2014 we probably ended up roughly where we deserved hence expectations by mid-year were a little lower. Can't comment on the pre-colour tellie years you listed.

This year as cautious as I am and in spite of my eyes telling me we were producing some putrid footy during the streak I dared to dream.

Sure I braced for a comedown at some point and while something like a Carlton 1995 season still appealed I didn't quite expect to the almighty groin smash the 2nd half of the season delivered when were poised at 9-0.

I would say at 10-1, because the Richmond performance was better than the first nine weeks combined and was the game where I thought we were genuine flag contenders. We absolutely smashed them with tough, hard and skillful footy.

Then we had 43 injuries and the first ten minutes of the Cats game the next week and that was that.

Then we had 43 injuries and the first ten minutes of the Cats game the next week and that was that.

Injuries contributed but the weaknesses were there before and after they occurred.

Arjen mentioned 1997. Off the top of my head we lost Carey, Schwass and Capuano for the bulk of the season yet won some games with sheer fight and were still scrapping it out with SIMPSON in the ruck in the prelim and Crocker kicking a few as the ship went down. That was a side where everyone still fought in spite of injury.

There were quarters this year culminating in the final where blokes got as close to not trying their hardest as you feasibly could in an AFL side.

Anyway back on topic. Boomer eh?

Injuries contributed but the weaknesses were there before and after they occurred.

Arjen mentioned 1997. Off the top of my head we lost Carey, Schwass and Capuano for the bulk of the season yet won some games with sheer fight and were still scrapping it out with SIMPSON in the ruck in the prelim and Crocker kicking a few as the ship went down. That was a side where everyone still fought in spite of injury.

There were quarters this year culminating in the final where blokes got as close to not trying their hardest as you feasibly could in an AFL side.

Could you imagine how Denis would have reacted to any compromised effort?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Denis I don't care if you're planning to do it in a few weeks, tell me right now if I'm getting another contract. I want to organise a farewell party with family and friends"

NX0dxYm.jpg

Oh yeah I agree, just saying post-Richmond was the best I had felt about us all season. There's absolutely no doubt it my mind that we've allowed injuries to become a narrative and started feeling sorry for ourselves as the season has gone on. It's the complete opposite to how our annoying neighbours have handled their injury crisises.

I think the Hawks game was the one where we gave it our all despite adversity, still came up short and thought "well stuff this".

Oh yeah I agree, just saying post-Richmond was the best I had felt about us all season. There's absolutely no doubt it my mind that we've allowed injuries to become a narrative and started feeling sorry for ourselves as the season has gone on. It's the complete opposite to how our annoying neighbours have handled their injury crisises.

I think the Hawks game was the one where we gave it our all despite adversity, still came up short and thought "well stuff this".

You have to wonder where the season may have gone had we won this like we probably should have.

Did anyone else hear Duck comment on this matter last night on Talking Footy? Sam McLure has a segment where he basically tosses out what he's been hearing behind the scenes and he ended it with "Before I go, expect Brent Harvey to be playing elsewhere......", before Duck interjected, "He won't play on."

SM: "I'm hearing......."

WC: "He won't play on."

SM: "Have you been speaking to him?"

WC: "No but I do know he's been receiving a lot of advice from some very intelligent people at North and he's listening."

SM: "Is something else being arranged for him to remain involved at North off field?"

WC: "Possibly. Just take it from me, he won't be playing elsewhere."

That was the gist of the convo. giantroo may be able to dig it up. I personally don't know what to make of it but Duck did sound quite sure of himself.

Did anyone else hear Duck comment on this matter last night on Talking Footy? Sam McLure has a segment where he basically tosses out what he's been hearing behind the scenes and he ended it with "Before I go, expect Brent Harvey to be playing elsewhere......", before Duck interjected, "He won't play on."

SM: "I'm hearing......."

WC: "He won't play on."

SM: "Have you been speaking to him?"

WC: "No but I do know he's been receiving a lot of advice from some very intelligent people at North and he's listening."

SM: "Is something else being arranged for him to remain involved at North off field?"

WC: "Possibly. Just take it from me, he won't be playing elsewhere."

That was the gist of the convo. giantroo may be able to dig it up. I personally don't know what to make of it but Duck did sound quite sure of himself.

Is that the video that giantroo has posted just above, Twinkletoes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back