Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on, I love boomer but am so over everything being about him. Whole week of his record breaking game, a crucial game for the club, was hijacked by his book. Will be sad to see him go but will back the club over boomer every single day

I came here to say something along these lines. This may offend you guys, and if it does I'm sorry - I'm not here to troll you on your own board. But I feel like Brad Scott and the club have been unfairly tarnished because of Boomer's actions. The only reason they seemed to have told Boomer last week was as a sign of respect because Boomer insisted on knowing early. Boomer's insistence on being told about his retirement could only have turned the week into a circus if the result was negative, but Boomer didn't care. That is putting your own feelings above the team. But having told him, they placed themselves in a vulnerable position and were trusting him to at least do right by the club after being told. That means fronting up to a press conference the next day and accepting the adulation that would have been heaped upon him, Dane Swan-style. That is the only way to avoid a PR disaster for the club.

He did not do this because he was so upset. They trusted him to put the club's welfare before his own feelings and he let them down. As a result of that, the club and Brad Scott especially have copped a massive black eye that would not have been coming their way if Boomer only performed the role that countless other players before him have managed to perform.

Yes, he put out that great Facebook post. I acknowledge and respect that. But too little, too late. The damage had already been done by that stage.

I think back to the week of Boomer's record when the club was trying to do whatever they could to celebrate his career and create a great vibe for the club at a lean time, and Boomer was off trying to make a buck by releasing his book with its juicy chapters that week. It completely undermined the week's celebrations. Like he hasn't made enough money already playing AFL for 20 years. Sure, it's his right to release the book when he likes. Just as it's his right to demand early knowledge of his contract status going forward, and it's his right to not to hold a retirement press conference. But it just seems the last month has been a lot more about Boomer's desires then what is good for his club.

Sorry if this comes off as Dogs supporter trolling (and yes, I know we have one of these kind of players developing at the Dogs in J. Stringer.) But it is my honestly held view.

I came here to say something along these lines. This may offend you guys, and if it does I'm sorry - I'm not here to troll you on your own board. But I feel like Brad Scott and the club have been unfairly tarnished because of Boomer's actions. The only reason they seemed to have told Boomer last week was as a sign of respect because Boomer insisted on knowing early. Boomer's insistence on being told about his retirement could only have turned the week into a circus if the result was negative, but Boomer didn't care. That is putting your own feelings above the team. But having told him, they placed themselves in a vulnerable position and were trusting him to at least do right by the club after being told. That means fronting up to a press conference the next day and accepting the adulation that would have been heaped upon him, Dane Swan-style. That is the only way to avoid a PR disaster for the club.

He and the other players concerned wanted to know because they wanted to give family and friends the opportunity to see them play (potentially) in Melbourne for the last time.

Last edited:
I actually cant believe the Nth Board has done this too Boomer, and the other Nth veterans, right on the eve of the Finals ?? Talk about bad timing, how on earth do they expect these guys too now perform well in the Finals, with this hanging over their heads ?? Why not wait til the season is done and dusted, then make the move ? Jeez, and I thought the Pies Board made some dumb decisions, this one takes the cake. FWIW I would love Boomer on a one year contract with the Pies now, too help our bevy of young kids, in a mentoring role, and he is still playing marvellous footy too. This announcement now, pre Finals, is really weird, to say the least. !
It because the players who are pressing the hard questions wanted to know their status ( if in fact they weren't getting the nod for next year ) now their friends and family members go and see them for one more final time last week......and maybe in 2 or 3 weeks time .

He and the other players concerned wanted to know because they wanted to give family and friends the opportunity to see them play (potentially) in Melbourne for the last time.
Petrie did state if he could, he would have done it all over again........so the doggie troll is half correct . As along what you said.

Petrie did state if he could, he would have done it all over again........so the doggie troll is half correct . As along what you said.

Posting history says it all.

Don't understand how...If I'm a dogs supporter I would be talking shit until at least I saw my club achieve something of significance in my life time. They haven't won a premiership since the dinosaurs, their seniors players could have been one-club players but decided to take off when they could.

They have nothing to brag about, their club stands for nothing.

Don't understand how...If I'm a dogs supporter I would be talking shit until at least I saw my club achieve something of significance in my life time. They haven't won a premiership since the dinosaurs, their seniors players could have been one-club players but decided to take off when they could.

Don't get emotion Dan....and with a subject on Boomer it can easily be done. In all honesty he came in knocked on the door and offered his opinion in a non condescending way. I read worse from our own supporters, me included.

And after having his guts ripped out by no contract, Boomer was still out there busting his guts and was prob close to BoG for us, can't say that about 60% of the others out there who have nice cosy contract renewals or years to run on them..
Speaks volumes.....

Have had an email back from the club after I sent one in regarding boomer...

"Good morning xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email.

Last week was heartbreaking for all players, staff, members and supporters.

While the players themselves are all disappointed, each of them understand and accept the club's position and want to see North succeed in the long-term.

We completely understand your frustration and anger, and acknowledge not all of our supporters are happy about the decision.

As Brad Scott mentioned, the decision was not taken lightly but was made in the best interests of the club's future.

The club is now working on the best way to send the players off, but has to balance that with a finals campaign - one we will be throwing everything at.

While other retirees from other clubs have had media conferences and on-ground send offs, we have not been able to do that because our season is far from over. Rest assured, they will all be celebrated at the appropriate time and in accordance with their individual wishes.

Again, thank you for taking the time to send through your email - we understand that the news has devastated a lot of our members and supporters and we are very sorry for the disappointment - but without doubt, as the lifeblood of this club, we do appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,"

Doesn't change anything but at least they replied...

^^^ I got the exact same reply. It was signed by the receptionist(!) so it makes me wonder if the emails people have sent are even getting to the people concerned.

BTW, my email was not at all abusive but I just wanted to express my disappointment at the decision that has been made.

Yeah, it's not terribly impressive if your last premiership predates the drop punt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I offered my opinion in good faith because I actually feel sorry for Brayshaw and Brad Scott. I have a lot of time for James Brayshaw as a President in particular. To be honest, I prefer him to ours. He supports the club and players to the fullest but doesn't overstep the mark.

But that's fine, Dan. It's your board. I respect your right to deal with my opinion however you like. :thumbsu:

He is usually on Sen around 6pm on Wednesday's but haven't heard him since north told him cya. Is he not doing any more media?

Tuesday's after 6pm scoob but you're right, he hasn't been on over the past couple of weeks.

Tuesday's after 6pm scoob but you're right, he hasn't been on over the past couple of weeks.

seems to have totally cracked it after the announcement. I am actually shocked, surely the club kept him inform throughout the year that not contracting him and others was a high possibility so when the announcement was made they weren't shocked about it.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but I've been told that he has been offered a role coaching in some capacity at North.

This is the right thing.

I hope he stays.

Honestly the idea of him playing elsewhere makes me sick.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but I've been told that he has been offered a role coaching in some capacity at North.

It'd kill me to be coaching 20 blokes a week that I'd be better than if I was in the team.

Have had an email back from the club after I sent one in regarding boomer...

"Good morning xxxxxxxxxx

Last week was heartbreaking for all players, staff, members and supporters.

While the players themselves are all disappointed, each of them understand and accept the club's position and want to see North succeed in the long-term.

We completely understand your frustration and anger, and acknowledge not all of our supporters are happy about the decision.

As Brad Scott mentioned, the decision was not taken lightly but was made in the best interests of the club's future.

The club is now working on the best way to send the players off, but has to balance that with a finals campaign - one we will be throwing everything at.

While other retirees from other clubs have had media conferences and on-ground send offs, we have not been able to do that because our season is far from over. Rest assured, they will all be celebrated at the appropriate time and in accordance with their individual wishes.

Again, thank you for taking the time to send through your email - we understand that the news has devastated a lot of our members and supporters and we are very sorry for the disappointment - but without doubt, as the lifeblood of this club, we do appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,"

Doesn't change anything but at least they replied...

Yesterday was a heartbreaking day for all players, staff, members and supporters with the announcement that Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Nick Dal Santo will not be playing with us next season.

As Brad Scott mentioned, the decision was not taken lightly but was made in the best interests of the club’s future.

As for the timing of the announcement, Boomer and Drew's manager clarified on radio that the players forced the club's hand:

"It was us (the players) pushing them (the club). They would have preferred to hold off a bit longer (on making the decision) to be honest. I don't know what else they (North) could do. At the end of the day the players didn't want to front the media and I totally get that. They will at the right time when they think it's appropriate, but they just don't think it's now when the focus is on the club winning a game of footy this week. So what else could the club do once the players were told?" - Shane Casley on SEN.

It's important for us to also clarify that the players were given the option to front the media, but felt too emotional to do so yesterday. Each of them will do so at a time they feel is right for them individually. While they are all disappointed, each of them understand and accept the club's position.

The players wanted the announcement brought forward because there's a possibility this weekend's game could be our last in Melbourne. The players wanted the opportunity to have their friends, family, loved ones, and fans, see them for what could be the last time in Melbourne.

We completely understand your frustration and anger, and we acknowledge that not all of our supporters will be happy about this decision.

Again, thank you for taking the time to send through your email – we understand that the news has devastated a lot of our members and supporters and we are very sorry for the disappointment – but without doubt, as the lifeblood of this club, we do appreciate your feedback.

We hope to see you at the game this weekend to help celebrate the amazing contributions these club champions have made.

Kind regards,

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back