Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be unbelievabley ****ed off if this was the case, though this is not the first I have heard of it. Carlton is looking for a star midfielder, and Pagan has said the draft picks will be traded.

I am really worried but we would have to re-sign Harvey before he would be traded. It would be 100 times worse if he just left, I hope he will sign after the Carlton game.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80368

I've always maintained that you DONT EVER trade your leadership group players unless they want out.

Had this convo with NorthBhoy earlier, but theres a few examples of clubs who have had terrific draft picks and loads of great young talent rolling into their club who still can't sustain any success.

St Kilda are the perfect example. No doubt they are on their way up and have the best young list in the comp. But with what they have attained over the years in terms of young players they should have been a top 8 team the last 2 or 3 years at the very least.

Why havent they?

Poor leadership group and culture.

We always hear how tight our players are as a unit and that every other club envies this. We always hear how great our leadership group is.

You start trading leadership players of this against their will and i fear you risk tearing that very fabric that makes our club unique.

Look at our leadership group of the last 10 years? Yes, the main man turned out to be a headcase, but the fact is they all came through togather. They had that longtime bond and lead terrifically as a unit a result.

What would losing Boomer do to Simmo, Colby and Shagga's mentality towards the club?

As much as we'd lose so much in terms of his on-field capabilites, its the off-field stuff that concerns me even more. We've potentially got a terrific batch of young players coming through. They need true Shinboner leaders to make sure they are the next leaders of this club for the next 10 years.

If he wants to go though, then yes, i'd take the trade.

Originally posted by NeoBlaze
would you accept that and who the hell would we get for teh no.2 pick?
the players who goes no. 2 in the draft this year will not even remotely compare to no.2 picks from years gone by (wells ball koschitzke etc). for this reason as well as all the reasons carlos listed i would not take that trade.
as carlos said, if he wanted out, then take the trade. however i would try and hold carlton (or whoever) to ransom and demand more than that. say a 2nd round pick or a decent player from elsewhere too.

There's been a suggestion from some Blues supporters that they could grab him in the pre-season draft but I couldn't see Boomer doing that to us. At the start of the year I would have called him our most important player, but that's probably changed a bit now as he hasn't coped too well with taggers ,and there's this nagging suspicion that he's been carrying an injury, but he remains one of our few" untradeables" . There is a perception that he's not happy with the role he's playing under Laidley but I'm confident he'll sign on. An important player on and off the field as several of our young players have boarded with him and he seems a very good influence. Quality player quality person,you don't want to lose them in a hurry!

Unless he wants out, KEEP him- he is too important us in terms of leadership to lose, unless he wants out, then you trade him.

I hope he doesnt want out:(

Go Roos

If Boomer or his manager play the game and whore themselves about just to screw a few extra dollars then IMO he doesn't 'belong' in our leadership group.

Same goes for anyone else on the list.

Hopefully the 'negotations' with the club stay civil, behind closed doors and we get his autograph for another 2 yrs.

Originally posted by Lidge
If Boomer or his manager play the game and whore themselves about just to screw a few extra dollars then IMO he doesn't 'belong' in our leadership group.

Same goes for anyone else on the list.

Hopefully the 'negotations' with the club stay civil, behind closed doors and we get his autograph for another 2 yrs.

Another 4 would feel so much more secure.

Go Roos

Nah - 2 yrs is enough. Too much risk putting high paid players on long term contracts. Gotta put the club's interests 1st.

2 yr contract is long enough but tack on another year after the 1st year provided form & fitness warrants it.

Originally posted by Carlos
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80368

I've always maintained that you DONT EVER trade your leadership group players unless they want out.

Had this convo with NorthBhoy earlier, but theres a few examples of clubs who have had terrific draft picks and loads of great young talent rolling into their club who still can't sustain any success.

St Kilda are the perfect example. No doubt they are on their way up and have the best young list in the comp. But with what they have attained over the years in terms of young players they should have been a top 8 team the last 2 or 3 years at the very least.

Why havent they?

Poor leadership group and culture.

We always hear how tight our players are as a unit and that every other club envies this. We always hear how great our leadership group is.

You start trading leadership players of this against their will and i fear you risk tearing that very fabric that makes our club unique.

Look at our leadership group of the last 10 years? Yes, the main man turned out to be a headcase, but the fact is they all came through togather. They had that longtime bond and lead terrifically as a unit a result.

What would losing Boomer do to Simmo, Colby and Shagga's mentality towards the club?

As much as we'd lose so much in terms of his on-field capabilites, its the off-field stuff that concerns me even more. We've potentially got a terrific batch of young players coming through. They need true Shinboner leaders to make sure they are the next leaders of this club for the next 10 years.

If he wants to go though, then yes, i'd take the trade.

Beautifully said, Carlos, basically my thoughts as posted on another thread.

As for the Saints, well if they don't deliver the goods next year, when will they.

But having said that, it is worth looking at who they have beaten in their last 4 games, which are earning them so many plaudits, and since being comprehensively beaten by Adelaide in round 17.

An undermanned West Coast at the Dome - and the Eagles have not travelled well this year.

An even more undermanned and very disappointing Richmond.

Carlton

Western Bulldogs.

Great stuff really. lets reserve judgement on them until next year. Thats when we might see the true mettle of them or will the "poor leadership group and culture" win out yet again?

Thats one of the things that can never be levelled at North

Watching the recent interview on afl.com.au (yes I finally paid the f***** $60 bucks or whatever) he said he really wanted to stay. While he could have just said that for the camera, one thing he said without any hesitation is that while he want to play with his brother he could never play for Essendon. He said without any hesitation whatsoever and sounded very genuine. Until then I personally held that as a fear - they can afford him and they definitely need a quality midfielder to top up their list.

With that concern out the way, let's hope Denis isn't in his ear too much.

We would have to get more then a number 2 draft pick.
Harvey is a quality player and is worth a lot more then a snotty nosed kid who is only picked on potential and could be great or could be average or could be a good player for Port Melbourne.

Pick no.2 plus a good player. Errrrrrrrrrr it's Carlton isn't it.
Pick no.2 plus a second round draft pick. Something like the Carey deal would be fine.

Idealy it would be good if he stayed but if he wants to go then we need a good deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i wouldnt trade harvey not for there first draft pick it would be a mistake harveys only 25 and a prolific ball winner id want a proven player like fevola or witnall and a second or 3rd round draft pick. that would be better .but id rather harvey stay, then if he wanted to go id be looking at proven players b 4 a lottory pick.

Originally posted by Back Seat Of A Taxi
If he wants out then **** him off. Luke Hodge would be nice. Tall midfielder (which we're screaming out for), skillfull, great kick & a touch of mongrel. Exactly what we need.

Not a chance. They already traded a number 1 pick for Hodge. No way they'll give him up now that he's starting to come good!

Cpt Boomer

With the possibility of waving the captaincy / vice captaincy carrot in front of him , I can see Boomer coming to terms with North (fingers and toes crossed) I doubt the perception of him not being happy due to this new gameplan, I believe every player realises that JYD is going for fresh legs and unfortunately in this process I reckon he's been heavily tagged this season, our rucks have had a downer of a season and our running hasn't been damaging like we use to be.

As for 'wanting to trade for pick #2' that's completely absurd.

Just hope Boomer hasn't got a 'backward ego' and think $$$$ is more important. If he has a healthy ego, then putting his bid for captaincy would be OK by me.

oops that should be re - signs. Saw it on 10 news this arvo and am quite surprised I am the first to post it at 10.30 est.
Great news, he said one of the reasons was how good our future looked with the young players coming on so quickly.

:D :D :D :D :D Thats great news!!!!!! i hope ur right there just seems like theres no news about it anywhere else... but if you heard it its good enough for me good on boomer!

Bugger... I was keen for boomer to be traded as I think he has been over-rated for the past two years... the last really good game I can think of was against the Hawks two years ago... well now he has re-signed lets hope he produces what he is being paid to...

Hope I am proven wrong... but for that to happen he would have to lift about 200%... it really makes me sick when he can't kick a goal from 30 out dead in front and when he can't chase the oposition when they have the ball... suddenly he has no pace...

anyway that is me with my winge... btw at least with Clayton you know he does his best... it's not his fault his best isn't good enough... as for Harvey... can we say he gives his most???

He hasn't re-signed.

What he said is that he intends to re-sign and that he wants to stay a Roo. He also said he has had offers from other clubs.

Nothing official unfortunately, but good news nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back