Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by benno87
Just read on AFl Website:

"What the Papers Say...
Kangaroos rover Brent Harvey has rejected the club’s latest contract offer, but is expected to agree to terms shortly"
this is to be expected, as north are obviously going to start there offer as low as possible in order to get the best deal. i am fairly confident he would stay, but would want a quality midfielder and top 5 draft pick in exchange if he was to leave.

Also heard that Harvey wants to play with Shane, and there was even a rumour that he would consider going to the Bombers if he wasn't given the captaincy. Cant remember where I saw that... But From the looks of this, it shouldnt be too long until he re-signs with us... Easily our Number #1 priority to sign. He is our best player and as for Captain. It's between Boomer, Shagga and Simmo!
nah bugga it, the bombers can keep shane for all i care. he is just a soft, untalented version of brent and would not getta game at north unless our entire midfield and forward line get injured.

If he's haggling (or his manager is) it would be good to see some blindingly brilliant play during the negotiations. Even a quite good game would be very welcome.

Just being narky, I really hope he stays and that the captaincy has nothing to do with it. There's a lot to be said for giving the captaincy to a young leader, it seems to work for the individual and the club more and more often.

Harvey rejects Roos' offer
05 August 2003 AFL
By MARK ROBINSON

PREMIER onballer Brent Harvey has rejected the first Kangaroos offer of a new contract, but don't panic yet, Roos fans.

Harvey, 25, is almost certain to sign at the end of the season despite interest from several Melbourne-based clubs.

And Essendon is expected to have great news as early as tomorrow when it announces Matthew Lloyd has re-signed for the next three years.

Lloyd had initially asked for a five-year deal, but has agreed to Essendon's reduced offer. The second-highest paid player behind skipper James Hird, Lloyd will earn close to $2 million over the three years, incorporating football and marketing.

His signing will prompt increased negotiations with players also out of contract, including Scott Lucas, Mark Johnson, Sean Wellman, Dean Rioli, Mark Bolton and Danny Jacobs.

All-Australian Harvey received an offer from Kangaroos chief executive Geoff Walsh last week.

His manager Shane Casley this week will tell the club: "Thanks, but no thanks, let's wait until the end of the season."

Casley said yesterday Harvey's priority was to stay at the Kangaroos.

"We have spoken about the offer, and I think it won't be accepted. That doesn't mean it wasn't a bad offer, but that often happens with the first offer," Casley said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like Harvey wants to get some more offers to simply 'raise his worth' but i am pretty confident he will stay at Arden Street.

Brent "show me the money" Harvey has always liked the $$$$.
Nothing more, nothing less. Someone close to him told me this years ago.

Originally posted by Hearts to hearts
If he's haggling (or his manager is) it would be good to see some blindingly brilliant play during the negotiations. Even a quite good game would be very welcome.

Just being narky, I really hope he stays and that the captaincy has nothing to do with it. There's a lot to be said for giving the captaincy to a young leader, it seems to work for the individual and the club more and more often.

Could not agree more with the first paragraph... the second paragraph??? just not sure he is the man to Captain our new era...

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
I doubt this is the case, and I am confident he will stay. I never have viewed him as captaincy material, but I don't know why. I like physically imposing leaders, who can bash heads.

I'm the same. As great a player that Harvey is, he's never struckk me as someone who could become the club captain. Players who can take control of the game are the ones who should be made captain. Harvey has been a great player for us, but I really can't recall too many games where he's torn the oposition apart and you can sit back and say, "Harvey won that game for us".

Simmo would be favorite, but depending on when Stevo gives it away, I reckon Petrie is a huge chance. Strong, gun, young, consistent, tough and a good media performer.

Always felt that Petrie would make it to be at least the club vice-captain, but with his development and the way he goes about playing the game, I reckon he's a very strong chance to be club captain.

From memory I think Boomer also held out until the end of the season last time his contract came up. So no real suprise there. Definately would be a huge loss if he left Arden Street.

I don't see him as a future captain, maybe as vice captin but if he's using it as a bargaining chip then he can p1ss right off. That might be what they do at other clubs, but I dont want our captain to come into the job like that....

To my mind I think Simmo is the most likely and ready to just step into it when Stevo retires. I recal the All Australian selectors have been really impressed with his leadership qualities and he'd have to be our most consistent player (albiet having a bit of a lean patch ATM).

Talk of Petrie is premature. I really want to see this kid develop into a top line CHF and leader at the club. But I think its too early to give him this kind of responsibility
Lets see how he continues to develop over 2004. Our Captain really needs to perform consistently and Dish isnt really at that level too....

Having said all that I remember thinking Carey was too young for the Captaincy back in 93..... :)

Was interesting to hear Harvs on Foxtel's On the Couch on Monday, he seemed to think Stevo had another 3 years in him, also suggested that perhaps Stevo might do a handover role ala Mark Bickley at the Crows. Could be some merit in that, perhaps the burden of Captaincy is telling and not having it and supporting a younger captain could revive Stevo's game and keep in the mix for longer.

Alot of if and buts in there, but l think you get my drift. The fact Harvey would like to be captain is a great thing, the more people that want it, the more leaders we end up having. l dont any jealousy would creep into the squad given how tight they all are.

Wrath

I know Stevens has his eye on that 300 mark ;).. haha...
But he wont make it in 2004. In 2005 if he stays injury free he will. He will fall I think 2 games short next season unless we made the prelims or something havent worked it out exactly. But could we see a John Blakey effort in Stevens where he stays on until 35+? haha not after his injury runs, but Im thinking another 1 year contract after 2004 is possible.

I dont think there is any question Simpson should be our next captain, he is a huge personality, a great guy, and demonstrates the best leadership qualities only behind the 2 best leaders in the AFL, Arch and Stevo.

I can't believe this talk about Petrie captain? he is 21! Still developing, giving him captain he would not have the respect of half the team as they are 5 to 10 years older than him, and the poor kid is being asked to play Careys role at 21, let alone lead the side. After Simpson he is definatly a Captain chance at 25, 26. But not now, let the kid develop and concentrate on football. Dont get me wrong people I rate Petrie, I think he is awesome, I told my friends in 2001 he would be a champ, they laughed at me. Now I laugh at my bombers mate when Petrie tore them apart. But he isnt ready for leadership roiles, he needs to develop his game and Simpson is ready for the role. as for vice? split it with Shagga and Boomber maybe.

I can't believe this talk about Petrie captain? he is 21!
It`s taking into consideration that Stevo will see out his contract as captain. No certainty, but a reasonable assumption. Drew has done his share of media work already suggesting that the club rates him highly. He is only going to get better as a player as well. Carey and Matty Larkin from memory were fairly young when they were appointed.

Simmo would have to be fave, but the club could do a lot worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did say Petrie is captain quality in the post, I just dont think he should have the responsibilities at 21, well 22 next year. After Simpson I would love to see Drew Captain our club!

Must say Kangaroos are not great for the media side of things. unfortunatly, I enjoy the media side of football. I think Simpson needs to unleash his character on the media, heard him on Sport 927, funniest guy around. Would give Crawf a run for his money on the footy show.

I did say Petrie is captain quality in the post, I just dont think he should have the responsibilities at 21, well 22 next year. After Simpson I would love to see Drew Captain our club!

I think he is still only 20.

I don't think anyone would be advocating he get the nod next year, for Stevo (hopefully) will still be around, but a strong, young, media savvy footballer who loves the club and will be a champion really pushes my buttons.

In 2005 we will have a frightfully young list (King, Stevens, Rocca, Burton etc gone or going), and a 22/23 yo, well on his way to champ status looks the goods to me.

He oozes all the qualities required IMO.

robbins did the pre training interview today wonder if jyd didnt want to talk in case he made any gaffs or foot in mouth moves

Yeah we have 5 players 30+... All will be retiring at 2004's end.
[Archer, Stevens, Rocca, Burton and Kingy] And Colbert will be 30 in 2005 and wont be too far off retirement. So if Stevens does hold the Captaincy until 2004's end it should be interesting.

Petrie is 21 later this year, So 23 in 2005. If he was given thye Captaincy he would have the 'Carey' label over him, but it does sound very probabbly. And I would love it.

The leadership group in 2005 will then be Colbert (30) Harvey (27) Shagga (28),Sinclair (27), Makepeace (26) and a couple of others. I just think someone from the leadership gorup needs to be captain. Right now so many youngsaters, even Makepeave at 24, look at Stevens as their role models, and that his presence helps them at the club strive to play at their best. With Mark Thompson naming our leadership group as the best in the AFL, I dont think thatsa a comment to be taken lightly, so the captaincy is more important than people may imagine. IMO Make Simpson captain in 2005, he may only last 2-3 years, but thats all a captain needs, and the players look up to Simpson.

Petrie captain when he hits the leadership age, not at 23. IMHO... But I may be wrong, we'll see...

Yeah Geez don't you hate it when he can only manage 33 possesions, 8 marks and a goal and be the Roos BOG player... Must be something wrong :|

Yeah Geez don't you hate it when he can only manage 33 possesions, 8 marks and a goal and be the Roos BOG player... Must be something wrong :|
LOL, but nah seriously before the freo game harvey had been fairly ordinary by his lofty standards. if this injury is serious enough i would prefer harves to sit the year out and get right for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back