Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Moti
He hasn't re-signed.

What he said is that he intends to re-sign and that he wants to stay a Roo. He also said he has had offers from other clubs.

Nothing official unfortunately, but good news nevertheless.

well there is still a chance....

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
well there is still a chance....

Gee, Rooboy 96, you must see things very differently to me and I suspect 99.9% of North supporters. Boomer averages better that 20 possessions a game and yet you would trade him. Other blokes regularly do not even get into double figures, but it would seem in your eyes that Boomer is still not up to it?

Thank heavens you are not part of the match committee.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
Bugger... I was keen for boomer to be traded as I think he has been over-rated for the past two years... the last really good game I can think of was against the Hawks two years ago...

Against collingwood last year he had 40 touches! I know that's not your point but surely...

I agree with rooboy on the fact that I haven't seen Harvey play great footy for a long time... when I say this, I mean consistently. He has a good game, then he's barely seen the next week. I just wish he put in a complete effort every week. However, we shouldn't trade. He is important for the team at the moment.

Originally posted by Yianni
Against collingwood last year he had 40 touches! I know that's not your point but surely...

Did we win??? was he a match winner with over 40 touches??? no exactly... he could get 60 touches and still not hurt the opposition like he use to...

Originally posted by Horace
Gee, Rooboy 96, you must see things very differently to me and I suspect 99.9% of North supporters. Boomer averages better that 20 possessions a game and yet you would trade him. Other blokes regularly do not even get into double figures, but it would seem in your eyes that Boomer is still not up to it?

Thank heavens you are not part of the match committee.

I just believe that if you a given a talent use it to your fullest... don't **** it up against a wall playing one good game a year... remember the bullies game 3 goals to one up... Harvey running into and open goal 30 out and he passes to an opposition player 25m away... and then watches the opposition run the ball the length of the oval and kick a goal... instaed of 4-1 up it is 3-2 and the doggies have momentum...

everyone here bags Clayton... but seriously Clayton at least uses his talents the best he can... Harvey uses probably one fifth of his talent... and that is why he started many games on the bench last year and has not fulfilled everyone expectations this year... I expected Harvey to be the best small player in the league... but he aint... maybe my expectations were too high???

oh and thank heavens most of us are not part of the match committee.

He hasn't signed anything.

There are alot of players that will come out and say theu want to stay in the next few months in AFL, and many will be wearing differen't colours next year.

Good to hear, but not over the line by a long shot.

wow someone needs to get some perspective (NB) you want harvey to be getting 40 possessions per game, when he's being tagged like all buggery by other players?

And the usual puff piece placed by his manager in today's HS - can be summarised as "I'll stay if North will make their offer big enough, otherwise they'd better know I have other offers - they might save some money if they threw in a promise of the captaincy. I'll support Laidley if that helps make my case. By the way, I'm pretty damn good."

Kangas are Harvey's first option
28 August 2003 Herald Sun
By MARK STEVENS

BRENT Harvey is prepared to stay at the Kangaroos for less than at least two other clubs are prepared to throw at him.

The brilliant midfielder yesterday said he was informed by his manager Shane Casley a month ago that a "couple" of clubs had shown interest.

But Harvey said he did not want to know who the suitors were, preferring to exhaust all avenues at Arden St first.

Harvey rejected the Roos' first offer about five weeks ago and negotiations are continuing.

"I don't expect North to match what other clubs can come up with, because I know they can't," Harvey said.

"My manager and I have sat down and come to a figure -- it's just whether North can get to there.

"But it is a lot less than other clubs are offering.

"Hopefully, they come back with a better offer now and I'm there for a lot longer."

The Kangaroos have announced they will remain at around the minimum salary cap of 92.5 per cent next year, but are confident of retaining Harvey.

Harvey would be the ultimate quick fix for Carlton, coached by Harvey's former mentor Denis Pagan.

The Blues are desperate for quick midfielders and the 25-year-old premiership player and All-Australian representative, who plays his 150th game this weekend, would be an enormous coup.

Carlton is likely to have second pick in the pre-season draft for uncontracted players.

The Bulldogs, almost certain to have first choice, will be more likely to go for experienced key-position talent.

Blues recruiting manager Shane O'Sullivan said yesterday: "We'll sit back at the end of the year and look at all the players available.

"It's too early while we're still playing games. We don't want to get anyone off-side."

But Harvey makes no secret of his love for the Roos.

"I've been there for eight years. Another six or seven years there and I'll play out my future at one club," Harvey said.

Harvey is likely to be fast-tracked into a key leadership role if he can reach agreement with the Roos and could be the club's next skipper, with inspirational leaders Anthony Stevens and Glenn Archer coming to the end of their careers.

"It's every kid's dream to captain an AFL club," Harvey said.

"Adam Simpson, Shannon Grant and I are sort of the next three guys coming through after 'Stevo' or 'Archie'.

"If I was to be vice-captain or deputy vice-captain to one of those guys it would be just as big an honour as captaining the club."

Harvey yesterday heaped praise on Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley, saying he would be a long-term success.

"He'll be around a lot longer than three years -- at least 10 to 12 years. He's been fantastic," Harvey said.

Harvey has sprinted to 150 games without any long-term injuries. His only significant problems have come with an AC joint, collarbone and hand.

He has been electrifying at times this year, but is disappointed with his second half of the season.

"It was the best start to a year I've had so I'm really happy with that, but not so happy with the rest," he said.

Harvey made the All-Australian team in 2000, but regards 2001 as his best year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, setting all the other anxiety aside for a bit..

God, that came around quickly - seems like only yesterday he debuted in the seniors, making an astonishingly good fist of it in 98, then stepped up again in 99, playing that brilliant State of Origin game in the wet to win the Whitten Medal, and being one of our very best in the GF win.

I always think of him as a young player making his mark, and here he is - 150 senior games, a leader of the club, and one of our best players over several years. The only thing I agree with Robert Walls about - "A little champion, this bloke."

Hutchie just said on Up Country Punt that Brent Harvey has been offered $600,000 to go to Carlton.

But expects him to stay at Roos where the offer will be $350,000 to $400,000

Mentioned the the Roos senior players love the shinboner culture & don't want to leave
:d

Originally posted by countryroo
Hutchie just said on Up Country Punt that Brent Harvey has been offered $600,000 to go to Carlton.

Mentioned the the Roos senior players love the shinboner culture & don't want to leave

Thought that might have been the case.

Not just the culture, but surely the performance of the two sides this year is indicative of where each side is going.

If he wants to collect wooden spoons rather than finals appearances, than go to Carlton.

Sounds like he will stay with the Roos, hopefully, ink to paper occurs soon.

Originally posted by countryroo

Carlton are crazy bastards. $600,000 for Brent harvey:confused: that's just crazy. He's worth around $350,000 and that's hoping that he improves a bit next year.
He's not in the same class as Voss, Hird, Buckley, Lloyd etc... who all make the big bucks. He's not even our best player. If he is worth $600,000 then what does that make Simpson worth? $700,000?? What about Wells and Motlop in a couple of years time? All this big money for players of Harvey's calibre is just crazy.

Carlton are desperate little pigs obvisouly.

Stay with The Shinboners Boomer, no money could ever replace what you get at the Roos. None.

I think he will stay, he said himself, he loves the Club. And why wouldn't you?

Boomer has 2 options:

Go For The Money or Stay For The Spirit

Money will always rule footy, but Spirit Makes it.

Go Roos

Originally posted by tashibatts
Carlton are desperate little pigs obvisouly.

Stay with The Shinboners Boomer, no money could ever replace what you get at the Roos. None.

I think he will stay, he said himself, he loves the Club. And why wouldn't you?

Go Roos
I thought the same about Pagan, McKernan, Martyn etc.

Originally posted by jozeph
Long bow there mate. Out of those 3, Pagan could be the only one who could possibly have the "chased the bucks" jibe levelled at him.

The other 2 were completely different cases in point.

Anyway, i think Boomer has his priorities in the right order. Can't begrudge him for putting the hand out to be reasonably renumerated for his talent. But 600K is ridiculously over the top.

He wont get near that at North for numerous reasons, but i think that he'd look around him and see whats coming through and realise that he is a very realistic chance to be an integral part of another successful era in the not-to-distant future, as oppossed to being the highest paid player (once Overatafidis retires/negotiates another contract) of a dud team. And thats before you factor in the fact his mates are at North and all the Shinboner spirit stuff.

If $600k is in fact true which l doubt, then its a big effort for Boomer to stay if indeed he does, its the sort of stuff that sets the tone for the rest of the guys. money isnt everything, especially when you are earning $400k per year.

l know guys like Stevo, Archie and even our illustrious past captain never sold out for the bigger dollars, it's great to see the likes of Boomer following suit (assumption made here).

Wrath

I'm still pretty sure he'll stay but if that rumoured offer is anywhere near the mark,and there are meant to be two clubs offering serious money,then I might just have a look at the likely number 2 selections!

Originally posted by Wrath
l know guys like Stevo, Archie and even our illustrious past captain never sold out for the bigger dollars, it's great to see the likes of Boomer following suit (assumption made here).
You'd almost say it'd be "leadership" type stuff wouldn't ya?

(assuming he does indeed say no to the bucks of course... please say no Boomer!! Please?)

Originally posted by jozeph

Yeah well.. I would say that Pagan was the only one who went for the money.

IMO McKernan went to get away from Pagan.

And Martyn, well he didnt have a choice about leaving (as a player anyway) Going into the draft was his decision, which I thought was a wrong one..

Go Roos

Originally posted by Carlos
You'd almost say it'd be "leadership" type stuff wouldn't ya?

(assuming he does indeed say no to the bucks of course... please say no Boomer!! Please?)

Yeah, you would just about say its leadership stuff.

Go Roos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back