Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like him for his field kicking. Not sure how many kicks have been smothered in the last few weeks..
Yeah. I mentioned it a few weeks ago. Such an exaggerated, showy wind up to kick that telegraphs it to the opposition.

Just get to the boot. It doesn’t need to be lifted chest high to kick it. That’s show pony stuff.

I was so rapt when we drafted him and at his best he’s everything I hoped for but as I said after the Collingwood preseason game, his petulance can’t be tolerated.

Again yesterday, wanting to have words with the opposition and the umps, meanwhile the footy is three feet away and still in play and he carrying on with his back to the play.

I think Freo would be the perfect fit for him. He's not what we want or need at present but could be the difference between a genuine flag contender or just a top 8:contender to a club like Freo.
Would possibly mean someone like Frederick gets pushed back. Would be harsh because he gives his all. No flash, just effort and good attitude.

Don't know why the match committee have not used shai in a similar way to lions have used Charlie Cameron and pies with bobby Hill
Isolate shai in the goal square
His ability and agility will cause major headaches for oppo defence
Just wish we would give it a go
And see what happens what have we got to lose

Don't know why the match committee have not used shai in a similar way to lions have used Charlie Cameron and pies with bobby Hill
Pagan’s Paddock was such a smart idea. I know that was pre-flooding but it could still be done.

We’ve done it a bit with Dusty and he dominates in that scenario. Problem is, the ball’s not getting down there enough and your most dynamic player is getting a cold.

We have on occasion and its always paid dividends, but sadly now, the ball doesnt get inside 50 often enough or fast enough.

Pagan’s Paddock was such a smart idea. I know that was pre-flooding but it could still be done.

We’ve done it a bit with Dusty and he dominates in that scenario. Problem is, the ball’s not getting down there enough and your most dynamic player is getting a cold.
6,6,6 it cant be done. also Bolton is a putrid kick of the ball he is a crop duster.

I think this is exactly the opposite of what he needs.

Don't get me worng, i agree that it SHOULD work, I just don't think it WOULD work with Shai.

I think when he is out of the play for exctended periods, he just loses focus, his head can't stay in the game, and then it does come down he either does stupid stuff, or his opponent is more focussed and straight up beats him, or he just tries to sneak out the back for the cheap one all the time...

it's like he has footy ADD!

I think the only way you get the best out of him is to leave him around the footy as much as possible, keep him mentally and physically in the game, it seems to be where he produces his best.

I actually love the idea, but yeah, don't think it would work.

That was the plan pre-season, I recall Yze saying he wanted to use Bolton mainly as a forward as he believed he was capable of a 50+ goals if he played majority forward. First few games it became apparent our lack of pace out of the middle was an issue so Shai started getting more centre bounces, which plenty of fans (myself included) were happy about. Then after the Sydney win, injuries well and truly set in and all plans have gone out the window and we went into survival mode.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...hopes-to-revive-richmond-20240131-p5f1fm.html

The quote was in that article about Bolton being used "sparingly" as a midfielder but it is behind a paywall. You can see it in the preview if you google the article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn’t be trading our best player. He’s having a shit season but majority are.
The question that really needs to be thought of an pondered for Shai is this:

"Is Shai Richmond's best player in a struggling side?"

Shai is a quality player and can be talked about in the top echelon of the game when he gets it together. But again, there are question marks around if he can do that in a team that is struggling. If we were to trade him to a top 6 side there would be a mountain of calls saying we shouldn't of got rid of him because he is now the best player in the league but I seriously doubt that if we were to trade him to another bottom 6 side.

A great way to think about it is to take peak Deledio, Cotchin or 2017 Martin. If you were to place any one of those players into the North side at present we would be sitting bottom of the ladder. Those players can shine in a side that is bad.

When I ask myself about Shai at North, he could help them around the contest as an outside midfielder with class but I dont think he is adding significantly more wins to their tally.

If Eagles came to us and said Harley Reid wants to return to Victoria, we want something really good for him.

Say they proposed Bolton and Richmond's pick 2 for Reid and Eagles pick 23.

Are we doing that?
the news rumour was Freo

very good post, brilliant post in fact

We have got four points to lose if it backfires :oops: but at the end of the day those 4 points are worth about as much as a bucket full cats urine. :p:D

Bolton should be playing in the middle. Yze has done ok with no real chance, but this is a big blue by him in my opinion. I'd also trade him for a top 3 pick.

If Eagles came to us and said Harley Reid wants to return to Victoria, we want something really good for him.

Say they proposed Bolton and Richmond's pick 2 for Reid and Eagles pick 23.

Are we doing that?
If we were to put that into "Picks" terms and base it on the current ladder and use Freo as the proxy, that deal would end up being

Richmond: 2, 12, 15
West Coast: Reid + 23

When put into draft terms like that, there is no way that deal is worth it for just 1 player. If we were to go with Freo for example there is a greater chance that at least 1 of those players would be a 200 gamer. All the eggs into the basket of Reid could end very very poorly if he were to do a knee or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back