Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were to put that into "Picks" terms and base it on the current ladder and use Freo as the proxy, that deal would end up being

Richmond: 2, 12, 15
West Coast: Reid + 23

When put into draft terms like that, there is no way that deal is worth it for just 1 player. If we were to go with Freo for example there is a greater chance that at least 1 of those players would be a 200 gamer. All the eggs into the basket of Reid could end very very poorly if he were to do a knee or something.

I would not even hesitate to do that deal if I were Richmond. It is roughly the equivalent of picks 2 and 8 for 19yo Harley Reid. If it went to an all club pick bidding war he would fetch a higher price than that, comfortably higher. More like something along the lines of picks 1 and 4 I would think.

I think this is exactly the opposite of what he needs.

Don't get me worng, i agree that it SHOULD work, I just don't think it WOULD work with Shai.

I think when he is out of the play for exctended periods, he just loses focus, his head can't stay in the game, and then it does come down he either does stupid stuff, or his opponent is more focussed and straight up beats him, or he just tries to sneak out the back for the cheap one all the time...

it's like he has footy ADD!

I think the only way you get the best out of him is to leave him around the footy as much as possible, keep him mentally and physically in the game, it seems to be where he produces his best.

I actually love the idea, but yeah, don't think it would work.
Shai having footy ADHD is actually one of the best descriptions I’ve seen lol

Dude s horrendously out of form or out of care factor or both...

Since he missed the Cats game, averaging:
17 disposals (God knows at what disposal efficiency)
1.7 marks
2.7 tackles
& has kicked 1 goal 6

Talk of multiple first rounders or even a low first rounder is rapidly becoming a thing of fantasy sadly. :(

Shai thinks he is Dusty and tries to pick his moments and fails miserably
Someone should remind him (may be the great man himself) that he's not even Kmart dusty yet and needs to work hard in every contest and bloody nail the easy set shots.
If he is not interested, he can foff!

Dude s horrendously out of form or out of care factor or both...

Since he missed the Cats game, averaging:
17 disposals (God knows at what disposal efficiency)
1.7 marks
2.7 tackles
& has kicked 1 goal 6

Talk of multiple first rounders or even a low first rounder is rapidly becoming a thing of fantasy sadly. :(
I doubt him playing poorly in a team with nothing much to play for is going to affect his value.

With the money being offered for him (Dusty-level money apparently), then Freo and WC should be more than willing to pay up.

It is tough to see how Freo are going to be able to satisfy us in a trade short of giving us 4 first round picks, all likely to end up well into the teens. Unless serious cattle is being sent back our way, but they would be silly to start swapping out guys like Young or Serong.
Bolton is getting paid a $millon on a long contract, but he, and our best 22, are getting smashed. Hopper IN and the midfield still got smashed.
HIs skills are average.

17th heading to 18th.

Era is officially over. If we have an interest in this draft, If a WA club wants him I'd trade Bolton for Higgins like 1st and 2nd rounder.

Martin, Grimes, Prestia retire at least. Maybe lose Baker too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The vitriol directed at Shai in this thread is putrid.

Some real Tigers of old in here, hang your heads in shame FFS!
The guy is very out of form and is one of our highest paid players. Every fan base would be this critical of him.

The thing is it is not entirely his fault. I said at the start of the year we should look to trade Bolton purely because he has currency but isn't the player the side needs for where we are at.

The vitriol is coming from people who look at his wage and what he has done in the past and believe that AFL is like a video game where stats are all that matter. They don't understand that there are other factors that are required for Bolton to show off that skill. Bolton is a highly talented and skilled player who is really only going to show his talent in a side that is in the top 6 hunt. That is an OK limitation for him to have. Shit, it is better than opposite where players can only perform in a shit side but once the side gets better their skills and execution let them down (Bachelor, Webberly and Conca are examples of this from our 2010 to 2012 seasons)

Hasn’t been back to his best since that concussion
Can take months to recover so I wouldn’t be worried about his form slump

Finally some common sense. It’s very common for concussed players to take time to find their feet again. But alas no … a few poor weeks and half the club wants to trade him out for unders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Finally some common sense. It’s very common for concussed players to take time to find their feet again. But alas no … a few poor weeks and half the club wants to trade him out for unders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There is no flipping way the club is gonna trade him for a slab, he's contracted , pay a premium or go fk yourself , I'll melt if we trade him for unders

The vitriol directed at Shai in this thread is putrid.

Some real Tigers of old in here, hang your heads in shame FFS!
100%

These are all keyboard worriers that were drooling and sucking shai's pencil not so long ago and wanting the clubs admin sacked if we lost him.

Now they are putrid pathetic supporters who's posting is alot lower than shai's form they are criticizing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back