Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be surprised if another club offered Phillips a three year deal.

If you've got list spaces available it's a smart decision, as Phillips wouldn't cost much in terms of both wages and a trade. He has some upside left, and at worst you're getting a solid player who can play a variety of roles.

Next year is a pivotal year in Will's development, so the club needs to be doing whatever they can to get him to sign a one year extension as soon as possible. If he shows improvement I don't think you'd worry about him not repaying the faith and signing for a longer term. If he doesn't you can delist him with less concern about what he may become in the future.

If you've got list spaces available it's a smart decision, as Phillips wouldn't cost much in terms of both wages and a trade. He has some upside left, and at worst you're getting a solid player who can play a variety of roles.

Next year is a pivotal year in Will's development, so the club needs to be doing whatever they can to get him to sign a one year extension as soon as possible. If he shows improvement I don't think you'd worry about him not repaying the faith and signing for a longer term. If he doesn't you can delist him with less concern about what he may become in the future.
I must say, I'm the opposite - I'd be dumbfounded. If Will can find a suitor on those terms he should take it, and with our blessing

Last edited:

you're getting a solid player who can play a variety of roles.
I don't mean to be a smartass - but what do you have in mind here?

I'd love to see him make it, but unathletic tagger + speculative defensive midfielder is about all I can see him doing at this stage.

I must say, I'm the opposite - I'd be dumbfounded. If Will can find a suitor on those terms he should take it, and with your blessing
Agree, the best he's going to get elsewhere is a 2 year offer, They might offer 1 with triggers if they're feeling sorry for him.

He looks so far off being an AFL standard footballer. A couple of nice kicks don’t change that.

No agility, no ability to spread, no size.

Bleak.
Meh. you’re kind of right but you’re throwing around that a ‘couple of nice kicks’ are common in our team. He’s one of the few who can hit targets 20-40m infront of him

Meh. you’re kind of right but you’re throwing around that a ‘couple of nice kicks’ are common in our team. He’s one of the few who can hit targets 20-40m infront of him
The intermediate kicking skills are not enough to overcome the deficiencies.

See: Brad McKenzie.

Only way that happens is under extremely caveated circumstances.

99% it won't.

I'm fine either way. Happy to give him one last year to back up with another big preseason or use him to get a pick in the 30's and look at Hynes, Ough, Tauru, O'Farrell, Mraz, Greggo types who could give us something different.

Will is one of the few that doesn't blaze away and can hit those kicks that others don't have the vision to see.
But it's make or break. We'll see what happens.

1 year + 1 year trigger makes the most sense to me, am definitely a fan and we need more players with his attitude
The problem with trigger clauses is that the club can make sure he doesn't get to activate it at their discretion , especially if its games played orientated...

One year is very fair. If he can get better elsewhere then good luck to him.
No its not especially if the club descides not to play him eventhough his form deserves it. The mental strain in him would not help during next season. He needs 2 year, to at least not think about it when playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No its not especially if the club descides not to play him eventhough his form deserves it. The mental strain in him would not help during next season. He needs 2 year, to at least not think about it when playing.
Certainly didn't look like he was thinking about it in his last few performances?

The problem with trigger clauses is that the club can make sure he doesn't get to activate it at their discretion , especially if its games played orientated...
It should absolutely always be at the discretion of the club as to whether they play someone enough to hit triggers. North Melbourne is allowed to manage its own list, lol.

I'm not sure his form at either AFL or VFL level ever demanded he be picked.

It should absolutely always be at the discretion of the club as to whether they play someone enough to hit triggers. North Melbourne is allowed to manage its own list, lol.
We could have played biggie to avoid getting pink to his trigger. My guess is the match committee spend zero time
calculating such things

Didnt we do that for Pink and then activate it? Or was his a different type set up to what you mean? If we are letting his (Pink) trigger you'd hope IF Will gets a contract of that nature AND can actually get a game in one of the worst teams in history that there would be no shenanigans around that.

Every team needs a good tagger. He was good on Daicos for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters. Ensure that he has a huge summer where he focuses on his running capacity then play him on the oppositions best mid in 2025.
We need a good stopper, especially now that Shiels has retired.

Every team needs a good tagger. He was good on Daicos for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters. Ensure that he has a huge summer where he focuses on his running capacity then play him on the oppositions best mid in 2025.
We need a good stopper, especially now that Shiels has retired.
Lazzaro and Tucker would be better suited to the role. Elite tank required and I'm positive Will isn't getting there.

Can't wait for it to be locked up mate, I usually just scroll the board calmly and have a laugh without posting. I'll happily move on and forgive all of those who thought he'd be any good.
mate, you post like you've got a bomb strapped to you that'll go off if you don't post "he can't run" every 5 minuts

We could have played biggie to avoid getting pink to his trigger. My guess is the match committee spend zero time
calculating such things
Tipping he hit a trigger after he was played forward and it sort of almost worked.

then we wanted to win games so we tried it again.

So he hit the trigger in the search for wins in a season where we almost did a few times but could only actually get there 3 times.

But now he gets another year, go him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back