Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been fumbly all year and if he's pacing himself at AFL level and not cutting it what explains his VFL form?

Be honest.

IF Phillips manages to get his tank up to scratch over the preseason, will you still relentlessly pot him week in week out? Or will you find something else to shit on him about?

I see the pacing more at VFL level, which is why he does not rack up numbers like he should be doing if he wants to play AFL.

The only time I have seen him really gassed is when he was tagging for 2-3 weeks, and I thought the coaches were trying to teach him about the intensity required at the level. But then when he went back to the VFL he reverted to a lower level of intensity and did not push himself to get involved in chains, etc.
💯

After seeing multiple Freo players handle the ball as if it was alive, I would prefer that we keep a one touch player that is unfit and try to get them fit, rather than the other way round.

My view is that he is pacing himself during games as he is worried about his fitness. Unfortunately, that does not cut it at AFL level.

Neale is a good role model for him. Another is Liam Baker who is also a similar size.

One touch? What Will Phillips have you been watching?.

Be honest.

IF Phillips manages to get his tank up to scratch over the preseason, will you still relentlessly pot him week in week out? Or will you find something else to shit on him about?
I was excited when we recruited him, stoked when boomer handed him the 29. I'm a massive North fan. If you think he's been anything other than rubbish this year you're not being honest with yourself.

Not much downside signing WP for 1 year if true. And if he is a great character as reported, its great for the group. No problem with giving a high character guy who wants to be at our club 1 year when we are looking at a big list turnover. Every club needs good people. If he has a great preseason, its a bonus. He can improve his motor with an injury illness free preseason. Its possible to aim for newcombe/neale. Longshot but ok to try.

I reckon he is tidy. Just low numbers.

His fumbling is one of the worst parts of his game. He’d probably be getting 20+ if he could grab the thing.

Not that he’s alone in that area, but he absolutely hasn’t been a clean one touch player.

He will no doubt leave NO stone unturned in the preseason

He has the fire if we put faith in him
I vividly remember at preseason training earlier in the year him essentially giving up and dropping to the ground during a running drill. He was taken off by the trainers and didn’t return. Clarkson was just emotionless as he walked past him but I thought at that point it was a black mark against him. You get the feeling Clarkson loves players that push through adversity which is why Comben kept battling on despite his obvious ailments later in the year.

Let’s start over, and pretend the Galan

Welcome to North #29 Phil Willlips.

Have a great career son.
He will no doubt leave NO stone unturned in the preseason

He has the fire if we put faith in him

Not sure there’s many unturned stones left from last preseason based on the reports we were getting in Feb 24. Maybe he needs to do a Degoey and just head to Bali, live it up, and come back with some tatts and self belief.

His fumbling is one of the worst parts of his game. He’d probably be getting 20+ if he could grab the thing.

Not that he’s alone in that area, but he absolutely hasn’t been a clean one touch player.

Reckon he was more one touch last year. Seems like a confidence thing. He had greater certainty of his position in the team last year and was cleaner with his ball collection and disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's cooked. If we're silly enough to give him another year than I hope he comes good but there's nearly a zero percent chance this bloke is AFL standard. Slow, fumbly, can't run, has a good dinky 30m kick and can tag for a half. I know there's a lot of romance attached with pick 3 and the number 29 but seriously there's 20-30 state league players that have shown more this year. Good luck Will.

It will be great either way though won’t it. Four more years of sitting at a PC furiously typing out missives of what’s wrong with Will Phillips.
The best outcome would likely be him coming 2nd in the Brownlow circa 2028 which could lead to another thousand posts about how the geniuses on here always knew he wasn’t good enough to win one.
This is gold.

It will be great either way though won’t it. Four more years of sitting at a PC furiously typing out missives of what’s wrong with Will Phillips.
The best outcome would likely be him coming 2nd in the Brownlow circa 2028 which could lead to another thousand posts about how the geniuses on here always knew he wasn’t good enough to win one.
Soon he'll be forgotten, like Narrier, Ahern, Mountford, McKenzie, Anthony, Hayden and the rest. Won't enter my thoughts anymore than these guys. His best game is not as good as Paul's, think about that.

Ha

Bumped a post a couple of weeks back on the doomsayers that had X out the door this time last year, so writing off blokes is a mugs game

A 1 year deal is a no brainer; hopefully it gets him some inspiration to work even harder
Jesus, not sure where the comparison is there. Tristan was dominating the VFL and Will struggles at best. I could see Tristan's potential but Will's shown nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back