Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

On behalf of everybody - can you now please leave quietly.

Hahaha. Bursting out of a stoppage? Jesus mate, have a spell the bloke chasing him started three metres behind and got hands on him and he subbed himself off shortly after. Are you on the tins or the crystal pistol? Fool.

Last edited:
He could at least find the ball, Ahern the same, McKenzie had a laser, flash had pace, declan could run all day, what's will got that's anywhere near elite?

He can hit up a nice inside 50, which is more than I can say about 19 of his other drop kick team mates shitting their pants, butchering it or sailing the ball directly to a defenders chest

He could at least find the ball, Ahern the same, McKenzie had a laser, flash had pace, declan could run all day, what's will got that's anywhere near elite?
Will has an elite ability to drive social media engagement. He inspires a high level of devotion in some quarters to participating in the conversation about his football career. Paul Ahern and Brad McKenzie were only ever mid -range performers in this space.

I wonder if the club (or Will) thinks outside the box with respect to his off season and working on the fitness.

Do you send him to an Athletic’s Club and have him join their middle distance program (800/1500/5k)? Or is it working with a top sprint program that can add some explosiveness to his first 5-10 meters.

Lots of comments on this page about needing the pre-season of his life to remain in the best 22 conversation. So will follow with interest how all this unfolds in the next 6 months. I trust he has the right set of coaches and attitude to make this happen. Would love to see PB’s across all his measurements. There is a footballer in there somewhere, just need a dash of confidence and continuity in 2025 to find his role and purpose in the team.

It has nothing to do with form

Wake up
Awake. Thanks, I've clearly missed the point that you're trying to make. Or is it just simply don't ever write anyone off? If the individual is willing to put the work in I agree with you but some have too many limitations to make it, Jack Mahony a pretty good example, hrovat another.

I'm convinced the club makes Bitcoin from the energy generated from the Will Phillips thread.
Starship Troopers GIF

Awake. Thanks, I've clearly missed the point that you're trying to make. Or is it just simply don't ever write anyone off? If the individual is willing to put the work in I agree with you but some have too many limitations to make it, Jack Mahony a pretty good example, hrovat another.
Aren’t you exhausted? What does your wife … girlfriend …. or your Mum think about all this wasted energy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Power another

I don't mean to be a smartass - but what do you have in mind here?

I'd love to see him make it, but unathletic tagger + speculative defensive midfielder is about all I can see him doing at this stage.

I don't mean it in a best 22 context, but the worst case scenario for a club is that they pick up a solid VFL player who can step into the seniors in case of injury.

The only risk is a list spot being clogged for an additional two years, but the upside is a quality young player recruited for a meaningless pick.

Bradyyyyyyyy
Dude two of those trades are Brady's responsibility, Stephens and Stephenson and Stephenson was playing very good footy till he broke his hip. He was averaging a touch under 20 and a goal in 2021. That's pretty damn good.

Dude two of those trades are Brady's responsibility, Stephens and Stephenson and Stephenson was playing very good footy till he broke his hip. He was averaging a touch under 20 and a goal in 2021. That's pretty damn good.
Also Polec was pretty good at Port. Probably more to do with our club than the players mentioned

We got the others for next to nothing so it was a risk we weren’t really losing much

Stephen’s is ok but is a cat and Stephenson has played one good year for us and been a bust ever since. He is even going to retire lol turn it up lol

Also Polec was pretty good at Port. Probably more to do with our club than the players mentioned

We got the others for next to nothing so it was a risk we weren’t really losing much
Polec was very good with us until about halfway thru 2020...

Soon he'll be forgotten, like Narrier, Ahern, Mountford, McKenzie, Anthony, Hayden and the rest. Won't enter my thoughts anymore than these guys. His best game is not as good as Paul's, think about that.
Liam Anthony will never be forgotten, he is still regularly put up for proposed trades

Melbourne just delisted Schache, a number 2 pick. We won’t look so silly if we drop Will now.
Wonder if Brady is eyeing off Schache.
I hope not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back